Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Recommendation Request for Chisel Honing Guide

What's the groups experience with honing guides for sharpening chisels
(bevel edge woodworkers chisels)? Also, what's the best way to ensure that
the chisel cutting edge will hone perpendicular to the side of the chisel?
Any recommendations for a specific vendor/type?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Philly wrote:
What's the groups experience with honing guides for sharpening chisels
(bevel edge woodworkers chisels)? Also, what's the best way to ensure that
the chisel cutting edge will hone perpendicular to the side of the chisel?
Any recommendations for a specific vendor/type?

My faves are the current "MKII" Veritas or Kell.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've used the Veritas Mark II for some time now and it keeps the bevel
squared up pretty well if you're careful in your setup. Chisels
narrower than 1/4" are, however, difficult to get clamped down in this
guide.

Regards..

Tom

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:31:20 GMT, "Philly"
wrote:

What's the groups experience with honing guides for sharpening chisels
(bevel edge woodworkers chisels)? Also, what's the best way to ensure that
the chisel cutting edge will hone perpendicular to the side of the chisel?
Any recommendations for a specific vendor/type?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Philly wrote:
What's the groups experience with honing guides for sharpening chisels
(bevel edge woodworkers chisels)? Also, what's the best way to ensure that
the chisel cutting edge will hone perpendicular to the side of the chisel?
Any recommendations for a specific vendor/type?

Some people here will tell you that getting a WorkSharp is the way to go
for honing chisels and plane irons. I can't argue with that, but I don't
have one. I hone all my iron with this:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43072,43078

and I cannot say enough about it. It's easy to use, once you've done a
few chisels. It's dead accurate and very repeatable. Once you've got
your edge that you want, there is an adjustment on the side of the jig
that allows you to add a microbevel.

There are a couple of limitations. No chisels narrow than 1/4" and I
don't see a way to hone curved carving tools. Once you get the tool,
you're tempted to get the attachments like skew and camber roller. I
also have the camber roller for plane irons.

Regardless, this jig has given me the edges I want on most of the tools
I own. Sharpening truly is a breeze. Hell, it's almost a joy.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Philly" writes:

What's the groups experience with honing guides for sharpening chisels
(bevel edge woodworkers chisels)? Also, what's the best way to ensure that
the chisel cutting edge will hone perpendicular to the side of the chisel?
Any recommendations for a specific vendor/type?

You can make one from 2 pieces of wood for a few bucks. I can't find
the web page that describes it, but you use two pieces of wood, and
some t-nuts and screws - to make a wide wooden clamp to hold a blade
at a constant angle.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Philly wrote:
What's the groups experience with honing guides for sharpening chisels
(bevel edge woodworkers chisels)? Also, what's the best way to ensure that
the chisel cutting edge will hone perpendicular to the side of the chisel?
Any recommendations for a specific vendor/type?

Slightly different take; there's an article in last FWW on how to learn
to hold the angle consistent and thus do away w/ the need...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 28, 4:31 pm, "Philly" wrote:
What's the groups experience with honing guides for sharpening chisels
(bevel edge woodworkers chisels)? Also, what's the best way to ensure that
the chisel cutting edge will hone perpendicular to the side of the chisel?
Any recommendations for a specific vendor/type?

HI, I use the mark II also... I really stink at sharpening, and this
is the only way I can get a 1/2 decent edge. Don't get the cheap
honing guide for about 10$ - it sucks, Also, don't sharpen by hand,
unless you are really good at it, and practice a lot (I dcan never
keep my hand at the same angle)

shelly
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 29, 10:45*pm, Maxwell Lol wrote:
"Philly" writes:
What's the groups experience with honing guides for sharpening chisels
(bevel edge woodworkers chisels)? *Also, what's the best way to ensure that
the chisel cutting edge will hone perpendicular to the side of the chisel?
Any recommendations for a specific vendor/type?

You can make one from 2 pieces of wood for a few bucks. *I can't find
the web page that describes it, but you use two pieces of wood, and
some t-nuts and screws - to make a wide wooden clamp to hold a blade
at a constant angle.

This is probably what you are talking about. I use one and it works
great.
http://books.google.com/books?id=gj0... =3&ct=result

or tiny:
http://tinyurl.com/45vlal

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Philly" writes:
What's the groups experience with honing guides for sharpening chisels
(bevel edge woodworkers chisels)? Also, what's the best way to ensure that
the chisel cutting edge will hone perpendicular to the side of the chisel?
Any recommendations for a specific vendor/type?

You can make one from 2 pieces of wood for a few bucks. I can't find
the web page that describes it, but you use two pieces of wood, and
some t-nuts and screws - to make a wide wooden clamp to hold a blade
at a constant angle.

This is probably what you are talking about. I use one and it works
great.http://books.google.com/books?id=gj0...lpg=PA175&dq=c...

or tiny:http://tinyurl.com/45vlal

actually, no. I'm referring to this:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...&filter=honing

the one in your link looks MUCH better. Still, I don't know if I could
use it

shelly

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have never used one, is this something I should have?
usually if it is a chisel that is really chipped ( like one used for
cutting metal and who knows what) I use a green stone on the tablesaw
( running at reduced speed) to give it a hollow grind, then keep it
sharp by hand honing.
I sometimes just fashion a simple jig to keep the blade angle close
when grinding.
Planes I just do by hand. figure 8's on the oilstone , or waterstone.
It's the way dad always did it, he was a skilled cabinetmaker, but I
am just a novice by comparison.
Of course some of the available tools have changed.
Iv'e done similar with the jointer blades. but I have hear of others
sending them in to be sharpened.this might make them last longer buy
not grinding excessively.

Phil

Pinnacle Honing Guide? Leuf Woodworking 13 February 8th 07 05:55 AM
S&J Honing Guide instructions? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 10 March 28th 06 12:25 AM
Gen. 810 honing guide AAvK Woodworking 7 February 27th 06 06:49 PM
Anyone got the new LV honing guide? David Woodworking 37 June 18th 05 05:24 AM