Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Default S&J Honing Guide instructions?

Hi,

Does anyone have one of these and could point me towards some user
instructions for it?

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/S/J94360R.html

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have one of these and could point me towards some user
instructions for it?

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/S/J94360R.html

My Stanley honing guide has a little flap that folds out to show you how
far the blade should protrude from the clamp for various angles. If you
know the blade angles you need, you can probably work out the distances
by measurement and a bit of trigonometry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 20:28:51 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have one of these and could point me towards some user
instructions for it?

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/S/J94360R.html

These things are fairly generic in terms of the techniques to use
them, materials and stones etc.

The main difference between brands is how far out of the jig the tool
should project to achieve the desired angles.

Other than that, the more important aspects are the steps to use.

Google using keywords "honing guide" and "using" and you will get a
good selection of articles on the complete process.

e.g.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...tml?page=2&c=y

http://www.hocktools.com/sharpen2.htm

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Justin Time

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have one of these and could point me towards some user
instructions for it?

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/S/J94360R.html

Cheap prices on Ebay if you want one. search "Honing"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have one of these and could point me towards some user
instructions for it?

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/S/J94360R.html

There was a bit of paper in the box with mine, but that was half a
lifetime ago.

I think there are also numbers on the thing, but without running out
in the ****ing rain to look, I can't be sure.

You can work it out by putting it on the stone and duplicating the
tool manufacturers grinding angle by eye.

The bit they might not mention is that the wheel on the thing makes a
groove in the stone unless you make sure the thing is used at
different angles when pushing it to and fro.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
..

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone have one of these and could point me towards some user
instructions for it?

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/S/J94360R.html

IIRC there are details on the side of the tool for the distance you need to
put the chisels out from the end.

As another poster says a little Trig would be easy to work it out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Justin Time laid this down on his screen :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have one of these and could point me towards some user
instructions for it?

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/S/J94360R.html

Cheap prices on Ebay if you want one. search "Honing"

I got one for half that price, but it lacked any instructions and it
would be long way back to where I bought it. The hints cast into the
side of the unit were not very readable - just thought someone might
have the instructions to hand.

Thanks for the other replies, Trig it is then :-)

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone have one of these and could point me towards some user
instructions for it?

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/S/J94360R.html

Hold chisel on stone, so that the angle you want to grind is flat on it.
Slide guide along chisel, until it reaches stone. Tighten clamp. That is
probably not the way the instructions tell you to do it, but it works well.

Personally, I prefer to grind chisels on a wheel, as the changing angle of
the curve allows you to use a very fine angle at the edge without weakening
the bit behind the edge too much.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Andy Hall wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Does anyone have one of these and could point me towards some user
instructions for it?

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/S/J94360R.html

These things are fairly generic in terms of the techniques to use
them, materials and stones etc.

The main difference between brands is how far out of the jig the tool
should project to achieve the desired angles.

A long time ago, enough information to use the things was on top
of the tool, cast in - "Plane iron - project X units", "Chisel -
Y units", etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

EricP wrote:
The bit they might not mention is that the wheel on the thing makes a
groove in the stone unless you make sure the thing is used at
different angles when pushing it to and fro.

After you've used it for a while, and got used to sharpening
things, you may find that you can do without it! EricP's right,
and you can also get this effect sharpening narrow blades, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Does anyone have one of these and could point me towards some user
instructions for it?

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/S/J94360R.html

IMHO, ditch it in favour of the Stanley one with a wide roller. These
narrow roller designs are very hard on your stones. They're unusable if
you use waterstones. The Veritas guide is even better.

It's schoolboy trigonometry to work out the projection of the chisel to
get a particular angle. Post the dimensions (length of the top flat
area, distance from chisel to axle, wheel diameter) and I'll do a table
for you.

As an approximation though, set the stick-out of the chisel (from the
axle line) as wheel_radius / tan (half_chisel_angle). 25° isn't a bad
start, which is 70mm for a 15mm wheel or 85mm for 3/4"

Or do it the other way and buy a little brass angle guide (couple of
quid from Axminster).

Personally I just don't bother wih these guides. I resurrect worn
chisels on a powered wheel with a toolrest setup with a gauge, but
everyday sharpening I just do by eye.

Gen. 810 honing guide AAvK Woodworking 7 February 27th 06 06:49 PM
MkII honing guide - HOW SWEET IT IS!! David Woodworking 4 June 27th 05 07:45 PM
Veritas Mk II Honing Guide [email protected] Woodworking 11 May 14th 05 04:00 AM
Honing guide measurements? AAvK Woodworking 2 March 8th 05 05:25 PM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 05:04 AM