Posted to rec.woodworking

Default chisel & plane blade sharpening?

is there online somewhere a good tutorial on how to sharpen and maintain
chisels and block plane knifes? Also instruction on how to restore chisles
that have really banged up edges? Im needing to use blockplane more and
should sharped the blade.

I caught the end of the program on the DIY channel where he used 4 wet
stones to sharpen a block plane knife but not the entire thing. He would
take paper thin shavings off the edge of wood after sharpened. I have a
water wheel thing with single stone wheel in water well (I guess Tormek
like) that I inherited but not sure its the right thing to use by itself as
the wet stone approach on the DIY used 4 different stones.

Id probably only need to sharpen infrequently like once every 2-3 months as
its a weekend hobby thing.
Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 21, 2:57 pm, "trs80" wrote:
is there online somewhere a good tutorial on how to sharpen and maintain
chisels and block plane knifes? Also instruction on how to restore chisles
that have really banged up edges? Im needing to use blockplane more and
should sharped the blade.

Don't bang up edges unless you want to grind them.

I caught the end of the program on the DIY channel where he used 4 wet
stones to sharpen a block plane knife but not the entire thing. He would
take paper thin shavings off the edge of wood after sharpened. I have a
water wheel thing with single stone wheel in water well (I guess Tormek
like) that I inherited but not sure its the right thing to use by itself as
the wet stone approach on the DIY used 4 different stones.

Id probably only need to sharpen infrequently like once every 2-3 months as
its a weekend hobby thing.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Wet-dry paper and piece of plate glass. Might set you back $20.00.
Look up "Scary Sharp."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"trs80" writes:
is there online somewhere a good tutorial on how to sharpen and maintain
chisels and block plane knifes? Also instruction on how to restore chisles
that have really banged up edges? Im needing to use blockplane more and
should sharped the blade.

I caught the end of the program on the DIY channel where he used 4 wet
stones to sharpen a block plane knife but not the entire thing. He would
take paper thin shavings off the edge of wood after sharpened. I have a
water wheel thing with single stone wheel in water well (I guess Tormek
like) that I inherited but not sure its the right thing to use by itself as
the wet stone approach on the DIY used 4 different stones.

Id probably only need to sharpen infrequently like once every 2-3 months as
its a weekend hobby thing.
Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

_The Complete Guide to Sharpening_ by Leonard Lee ISBN 1-56158-125-9

I would guess that it is available through Lee Valley :-)

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 21, 11:57 am, "trs80" wrote:
is there online somewhere a good tutorial on how to sharpen and maintain
chisels and block plane knifes?

yes. there is. absolutely.

Also instruction on how to restore chisles
that have really banged up edges?

that too.

Im needing to use blockplane more and
should sharped the blade.

block plane is a great tool. but you gotta treat it with care and keep
it sharp. which is what you are finding out. here's a tip: if you get
it good and sharp and keep it that way, it's capable if work you
probably haven't seen it do yet.

I caught the end of the program on the DIY channel where he used 4 wet
stones to sharpen a block plane knife but not the entire thing. He would
take paper thin shavings off the edge of wood after sharpened. I have a
water wheel thing with single stone wheel in water well (I guess Tormek
like) that I inherited but not sure its the right thing to use by itself as
the wet stone approach on the DIY used 4 different stones.

your tormek-like machine will be very useful, as long as it's working
properly. you may want to follow it with one very fine stone or
equivalent.

Id probably only need to sharpen infrequently like once every 2-3 months as
its a weekend hobby thing.

you may be surprised.

Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Strongly recommend the Scary Sharp method. It works!

Maybe not the first or second time, but after you get used to it, you get
really sharp edges. Amazing what sharp tools can do.

Also--once they are sharp, a quick trip to a hard felt buffing wheel with
white compound on it will redo an edge for a while! But not forever.

Old Guy
Who is happily using his sharp planes and chisels to build drawers.

"trs80" wrote in message
is there online somewhere a good tutorial on how to sharpen and maintain
chisels and block plane knifes? Also instruction on how to restore
chisles that have really banged up edges? Im needing to use blockplane
more and should sharped the blade.

I caught the end of the program on the DIY channel where he used 4 wet
stones to sharpen a block plane knife but not the entire thing. He would
take paper thin shavings off the edge of wood after sharpened. I have a
water wheel thing with single stone wheel in water well (I guess Tormek
like) that I inherited but not sure its the right thing to use by itself
as the wet stone approach on the DIY used 4 different stones.

Id probably only need to sharpen infrequently like once every 2-3 months
as its a weekend hobby thing.
Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 21, 8:37 pm, "Old guy" wrote:
Strongly recommend the Scary Sharp method. It works!

Maybe not the first or second time, but after you get used to it, you get
really sharp edges. Amazing what sharp tools can do.

Also--once they are sharp, a quick trip to a hard felt buffing wheel with
white compound on it will redo an edge for a while! But not forever.

Green chrome compound cuts fast, and leaves a beautiful
mirror polish.

The SS method leaves backs of chisels dead flat (important for
paring) because the plate glass under the paper doesn't wear.
Oil and water stones WILL get dished even with infrequent use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 22, 4:41 pm, "trs80" wrote:
[...]

thanks- Hide quoted text -

I am not a newbee or a oldtimer (except in age) and I have tried that
gambit, 1" belt sander (sucks), wet stones (works great if you have
the patience of a Buddist monk), Delta Wet Sharpener (hard to use, not
so hot results) SS (slow but works great) and a dedicated Wet Tool
Grinder (Tormek or Jet, mine is the the point of trying Jointer blades
(I find the cost of buying throw away planner blades outweighs the
value of sharpening them).

Here is what I am doing now:

For Chisles, Carving tools, scrapers, planes and chip breakers - I
religously use the Jet, this puts a great shallow hollow grind on
themwhich i then follow up with the SS to flatten the backs and then a
real fine grit (4000) water stone for removings the burrs. I use the
side of the Jet wet stone to flatten the scrapers.

For turning tools I use the Delta wet grinder on the dry white stone
for during the job sharpenings, periodically, I use the Jet to get
real nice clean edges on them.

I have yet to figure out how to do a pull knife or draw knife and
would welcome any input or ideas.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 25, 2:02 pm, Neillarson wrote:
On Jun 22, 4:41 pm, "trs80" wrote:

[...]

Heavy blades like that are easier clamped down and honed with slips.
Make your own from 400 and finer wet-dry glued around hardwood blocks.