Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chisel Plane (DIY)

Make a chisel plane from a chisel and scrap wood. It can be used as
either a rabbeting plane or a shoulder plane. Experiment with
different bevel angles and bevel up or down!

Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php
Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
Make a chisel plane from a chisel and scrap wood. It can be used as
either a rabbeting plane or a shoulder plane. Experiment with
different bevel angles and bevel up or down!

Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

I like it! Particularly, as an impromptu shoulder plane. I suspect you
could get some tear-out when you use it as a rabbeting plane in some
situations But hey, I'm impressed! You made it look easy! Nice work!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
GarageWoodworks wrote:
Make a chisel plane from a chisel and scrap wood. It can be used as
either a rabbeting plane or a shoulder plane. Experiment with
different bevel angles and bevel up or down!

Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

I like it! Particularly, as an impromptu shoulder plane. I suspect you
could get some tear-out when you use it as a rabbeting plane in some
situations But hey, I'm impressed! You made it look easy! Nice work!

Bill

See current Shopnotes for a couple plane plans and how to's.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

GarageWoodworks wrote:
Make a chisel plane from a chisel and scrap wood. It can be used as
either a rabbeting plane or a shoulder plane. Experiment with
different bevel angles and bevel up or down!

Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

I like it! Particularly, as an impromptu shoulder plane. I suspect you
could get some tear-out when you use it as a rabbeting plane in some
situations But hey, I'm impressed! You made it look easy! Nice work!

Yep, dat's a nice. Gotta try that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 21:29:46 -0800 (PST), GarageWoodworks
wrote:

Make a chisel plane from a chisel and scrap wood. It can be used as
either a rabbeting plane or a shoulder plane. Experiment with
different bevel angles and bevel up or down!

Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Cool. I'd suggest opening the throat a lot more, though. Shavings
can get pesky to remove after every stroke.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Make a chisel plane from a chisel and scrap wood. *It can be used as
either a rabbeting plane or a shoulder plane. *Experiment with
different bevel angles and bevel up or down!

Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Cool. *I'd suggest opening the throat a lot more, though. *Shavings
can get pesky to remove after every stroke.

I suspect you are correct. I might need to open it up a little more.
I think I can just nub off a little at the bandsaw.

Thanks.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Storm Jameson

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Make a chisel plane from a chisel and scrap wood. *It can be used as
either a rabbeting plane or a shoulder plane. *Experiment with
different bevel angles and bevel up or down!

Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Cool. *I'd suggest opening the throat a lot more, though. *Shavings
can get pesky to remove after every stroke.

I suspect you are correct. I might need to open it up a little more.
I think I can just nub off a little at the bandsaw.

Or file it with a distributor points file. Remember those? g

Thanks.

Jewelcome.

I meant the round hole (throat), not the (mouth) opening slit, but do
both if needed. Angle the top of the mouth away from the chisel so it
stays out of the way as shavings fill it.

I've found that a carving knife works well for "countersinking" the
throat. Dremel it if you're more of a Normite bent. Rounded edges
(like a pair of universal scissor handles) works for me.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
-- Storm Jameson
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Make a chisel plane from a chisel and scrap wood. *It can be used as
either a rabbeting plane or a shoulder plane. *Experiment with
different bevel angles and bevel up or down!

Let me know your thoughts.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Cool. *I'd suggest opening the throat a lot more, though. *Shavings
can get pesky to remove after every stroke.

I suspect you are correct. *I might need to open it up a little more.
I think I can just nub off a little at the bandsaw.

Or file it with a distributor points file. Remember those? *g

What? :^)

Thanks.

Jewelcome.

I meant the round hole (throat), not the (mouth) opening slit, but do
both if needed. Angle the top of the mouth away from the chisel so it
stays out of the way as shavings fill it.

That's pretty shmart! thanks again.

I've found that a carving knife works well for "countersinking" the
throat. *Dremel it if you're more of a Normite bent. Rounded edges
(like a pair of universal scissor handles) works for me.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Storm Jameson

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/2010 11:42 AM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

I meant the round hole (throat), not the (mouth) opening slit, but do
both if needed. Angle the top of the mouth away from the chisel so it
stays out of the way as shavings fill it.

That's pretty shmart! thanks again.

The dilemma with that approach occurs when it's time to lap the plane.
Some old wooden plane builders did just the reverse--so they could lap
the plane and not open the throat (much).

Bill