Posted to rec.woodworking

Default the first power tool

i was doing some drilling with the drill press today and appreciated the fact
that i just applied downward force to drill a big hole with a forstner bit and the
motor did the rest

compared to an attempt with a brace and bit recently i am very aware that
a drill press is good

but it got me thinking about the succession of power tools in a historical
perspective

i figure the saw was the first one to get some power behind it with those
big lumber mills saws

but what was next
i think power drills must have been the next one

power in this sense is not animal powered

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/2015 8:28 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
i was doing some drilling with the drill press today and appreciated the fact
that i just applied downward force to drill a big hole with a forstner bit and the
motor did the rest

compared to an attempt with a brace and bit recently i am very aware that
a drill press is good

but it got me thinking about the succession of power tools in a historical
perspective

i figure the saw was the first one to get some power behind it with those
big lumber mills saws

but what was next
i think power drills must have been the next one

power in this sense is not animal powered

I suspect you are right about the first power tools being those used in
sawmills. However I suspect that the reciprocating saw was used before
the circular saw. A reciprocation saw could be connected to a water
wheel and operated with a cam. The circular saw would need a complicated
set of gears to make spin

Before the Circular saw was used probably the most common type of saw
was what was called a Pit saw. It was a cross cut saw, and was used on
a on a platform pit arrangement. One person on the platform that other
person in the pit and the log between them.

On this line of thought another power tool may have been the water
powered hammer mill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm finding it difficult, so far, to pin down the first tool driven by
other than hand, but here's something relevant to what we commonly call
power tools:

In 1895, 16 years after Thomas Edison invented the incandescent electric
lamp, the German engineering company C&E Fein combined the power of an
electric motor with a manual drill to develop the world's very first
power tool. (It was about 19 years later that Mr. Black and Mr. Decker
teamed up to improve on this invention by making it lighter, more
powerful and capable of being operated by a single DIYerg)

(maybe that's why they are so expensive... A company that old, if it
didn't properly fund its pension debt could have quite a bill coming due
120 years down the pike.g)
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/14/2015 7:28 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
i was doing some drilling with the drill press today and appreciated the fact
that i just applied downward force to drill a big hole with a forstner bit and the
motor did the rest

compared to an attempt with a brace and bit recently i am very aware that
a drill press is good

but it got me thinking about the succession of power tools in a historical
perspective

i figure the saw was the first one to get some power behind it with those
big lumber mills saws

but what was next
i think power drills must have been the next one

power in this sense is not animal powered

Well, that's pretty limiting definition in terms of historical
precedence but water was certainly around quite early as a power source.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/15/2015 8:59 AM, dpb wrote:
On 08/14/2015 7:28 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

i figure the saw was the first one to get some power behind it with those
big lumber mills saws

but what was next
i think power drills must have been the next one

power in this sense is not animal powered

Well, that's pretty limiting definition in terms of historical
precedence but water was certainly around quite early as a power source.

The Chinese and Romans had waterwheel-powered trip mills for as early as
1st century AD and some say even earlier.

The Roman Hierapolis sawmill cut stone block dating back to 3rc century
AD incorporated a crank and connecting rod for reciprocating motion; the
first known instance although undoubtedly somebody had the idea even
earlier it's the first documented location of an operational facility.
As for specific woodworking I don't know what was the first we have
record of but I'm sure it's quite old.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 17:28:49 -0700, Electric Comet
wrote:

i was doing some drilling with the drill press today and appreciated the fact
that i just applied downward force to drill a big hole with a forstner bit and the
motor did the rest

compared to an attempt with a brace and bit recently i am very aware that
a drill press is good

but it got me thinking about the succession of power tools in a historical
perspective

i figure the saw was the first one to get some power behind it with those
big lumber mills saws

but what was next
i think power drills must have been the next one

power in this sense is not animal powered

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabitha_Babbitt
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in :

On 08/14/2015 7:28 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

power in this sense is not animal powered

Well, that's pretty limiting definition in terms of historical
precedence but water was certainly around quite early as a power
source.

I think the trick here is going to be defining what's a tool
more than what's power, but certainly you're right that
water powered mills for grinding grains have been around for
a very long time.

As another contender, I'll offer the spring-pole lathe,
altho that's arguably animal (human) powered.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2015 6:32 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
[...]

Yes, a "woman" invented the circular saw blade to solve the ills of the
straight blade saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2015 7:32 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
[...]

Circular saw was invented by a woman and used water power. 1813.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2015 12:08 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Per the article there is a question of whether a woman invented the saw
or told every one she did. Per the article it have been invented else
where, but first publicized Tabitha ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

[...]

I don't know why you put "woman" in quotes. Are you suggesting she was
a man in drag or something? However whether she invented it is
debatable--there are earlier references to circular saws, including some
that mention them in passing on patent applications, suggesting that
they were either well established at the time of the application or not
deemed sufficiently interesting to be worth patenting on their own.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2015 8:25 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Why would it need gears? Just turn the shaft with a belt.

Before the Circular saw was used probably the most common type of saw
was what was called a Pit saw. It was a cross cut saw, and was used on
a on a platform pit arrangement. One person on the platform that other
person in the pit and the log between them.

On this line of thought another power tool may have been the water
powered hammer mill.

While the saw could be fixed on the water wheel Depending on the ratio
between the diameter of the water wheel and the saw diameter, it would
turn relatively slow. The gears would be used to increase the speed of
the saw blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabitha_Babbitt
Circular saw was invented by a woman and used water power. 1813.

A common claim, but not true. The Royal Navy had circular saws
in the Portsmouth dockyards in the 1790s and contemporary texts
don't describe them as a new invention. The Portsmouth dockyard
had numerous tools powered by steam engine and belting by 1802,
some of which have been preserved.

The actual inventor of the circular saw seems to be lost to time.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 07:32:02 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Before the Circular saw was used probably the most common type of saw
was what was called a Pit saw. It was a cross cut saw, and was used on
a on a platform pit arrangement. One person on the platform that other
person in the pit and the log between them.

I thought pit saws were used for ripping, as in this drawing:

http://www.wooden-box-maker.com/images/pit-saw.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

What part of "belt drive" are you having trouble with?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2015 3:32 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 07:32:02 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Before the Circular saw was used probably the most common type of saw
was what was called a Pit saw. It was a cross cut saw, and was used on
a on a platform pit arrangement. One person on the platform that other
person in the pit and the log between them.

I thought pit saws were used for ripping, as in this drawing:

http://www.wooden-box-maker.com/images/pit-saw.jpg

Both circular saw and the reciprocating saw (Pit saw) were rip saws.

I forget which water mill it is in Indiana, (We visited most) but that
reciprocating saw was used for ripping logs in to useable planks.

I do not know when the circular saw was first used for cross grain
cutting. ie in a construction type of environment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2015 12:14 PM, knuttle wrote:
[...]

She invented the "blade design". But regardless what does location have
to do with whether it was a man or woman that came up with the idea? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/15/2015 3:32 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 8/15/2015 3:32 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 07:32:02 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Before the Circular saw was used probably the most common type of saw
was what was called a Pit saw. It was a cross cut saw, and was used on
a on a platform pit arrangement. One person on the platform that other
person in the pit and the log between them.

I thought pit saws were used for ripping, as in this drawing:

http://www.wooden-box-maker.com/images/pit-saw.jpg

Both circular saw and the reciprocating saw (Pit saw) were rip saws.

I forget which water mill it is in Indiana, (We visited most) but that
reciprocating saw was used for ripping logs in to useable planks.

I do not know when the circular saw was first used for cross grain
cutting. ie in a construction type of environment.

I don't know but expect at the same time or very shortly after the were
adapted to cut to length...folks didn't generally wait around back then
for somebody else to come up with a modification; _somebody_ at a mill
somewhere did it long before the electric motor and the Skilsaw like
portable tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2015 12:16 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

[...]

Is there something "you" want to share with us? Are you suggesting that
you are a man in drag or visa versa?

I was simply pointing out the recognition of a woman's contribution.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2015 2:30 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabitha_Babbitt
Circular saw was invented by a woman and used water power. 1813.

A common claim, but not true. The Royal Navy had circular saws
in the Portsmouth dockyards in the 1790s and contemporary texts
don't describe them as a new invention. The Portsmouth dockyard
had numerous tools powered by steam engine and belting by 1802,
some of which have been preserved.

The actual inventor of the circular saw seems to be lost to time.

John

There seems to be some confusion here. The woman invented the circular
blade design. I'm clueless who invented the circular saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

There seems to be some confusion here. The woman invented the circular
blade design. I'm clueless who invented the circular saw.

Well, I'll admit to being confused how you could have a circular
saw without a circular blade...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in :

I don't know but expect at the same time or very shortly after the were
adapted to cut to length...folks didn't generally wait around back then
for somebody else to come up with a modification; _somebody_ at a mill
somewhere did it long before the electric motor and the Skilsaw like
portable tool.

I'd agree. Steam powered saw mills I've seen from the 1890's
(sample size of 2) have two blades, a large one for ripping,
and a smaller one mounted on a swinging arm crosswise to the
carriage, to cut boards to length.

The swinging arm allowed the blade to move, which otherwise
would be difficult with a belt drive.

I'd guess someone figured that arrangement out very soon after
they figured out how to spin the ripping blade.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

[...]

In that case you should have used _underlining_ or *bold*.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 8/15/2015 2:30 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabitha_Babbitt
Circular saw was invented by a woman and used water power. 1813.

A common claim, but not true. The Royal Navy had circular saws
in the Portsmouth dockyards in the 1790s and contemporary texts
don't describe them as a new invention. The Portsmouth dockyard
had numerous tools powered by steam engine and belting by 1802,
some of which have been preserved.

The actual inventor of the circular saw seems to be lost to time.

John

There seems to be some confusion here. The woman invented the circular
blade design. I'm clueless who invented the circular saw.

So if she did not invent the circular saw then what was the purpose of
the circular blade design? Were the Shakers playing high-stakes Frisbee
or something?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 13:20:05 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

[...]

A big pulley on the shaft of the wheel and a small pully on the shaft
of the saw, with a flat belt, can run the saw much faster than the
wheel with no gears, and higher efficiency.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2015 6:42 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

There seems to be some confusion here. The woman invented the circular
blade design. I'm clueless who invented the circular saw.

Well, I'll admit to being confused how you could have a circular
saw without a circular blade...

John

I'm sure the machine to run the blade came a touch later. But for sure
there was no circular saw before there was a circular blade. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2015 7:13 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 8/15/2015 2:30 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabitha_Babbitt
Circular saw was invented by a woman and used water power. 1813.

A common claim, but not true. The Royal Navy had circular saws
in the Portsmouth dockyards in the 1790s and contemporary texts
don't describe them as a new invention. The Portsmouth dockyard
had numerous tools powered by steam engine and belting by 1802,
some of which have been preserved.

The actual inventor of the circular saw seems to be lost to time.

John

There seems to be some confusion here. The woman invented the circular
blade design. I'm clueless who invented the circular saw.

So if she did not invent the circular saw then what was the purpose of
the circular blade design?

The need was for a more efficient and durable design. The dual stroke
of the straight blades only cut in one direction. The return stroke was
a wasted motion as far as cutting was concerned. The circular blade
never has to reverse direction to continue the cycle.

I'm sure you could envision how spinning the circular blade would not be
a stretch of the imagination.

No all of this is with the assumption that we both agree that a circular
saw spins a circular blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 08/15/2015 07:12 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Ackshooley, the old two man crosscut saw I used cut on both strokes.
The teeth were symmetrical in both directions.

--
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure,the creed of ignorance, and the
gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2015 9:47 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:
[...]

Yeah,,, but were you around in the early 1800's when the circular blade
was invented to replace the single stroke in the saw mill? LOL

The circular blade
never has to reverse direction to continue the cycle.

I'm sure you could envision how spinning the circular blade would not be
a stretch of the imagination.

No all of this is with the assumption that we both agree that a circular
saw spins a circular blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

[...]

Are you being deliberately annoying or do you have something wrong with
you?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

[...]

I'm sorry if the answer is still too complicated for you to understand. I
tried to explain in the simplest way that I could when you asked what
seemed to be a simple question. Perhaps you did not understand the
question you asked. It's not really complicated.

Reread your question several times and my answer the same amount of
times. That might help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2015 8:24 AM, Leon wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

[...]

So just to clarify, you asked,
So if she did not invent the circular saw then what was the purpose of
the circular blade design?

Consider this. A saw, any saw, a circular saw, will not cut with out a
blade. A blade is not a saw. A saw can be a saw with out a blade. So
if you were thinking that a circular blade is a circular saw, I can see
how you would be confused on the whole issue.

She came up with a better design blade, some one else came up with a way
to operate the blade, The machine/tool that operates that circular
blade would be called a saw, and or circular saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2015 6:42 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

There seems to be some confusion here. The woman invented the circular
blade design. I'm clueless who invented the circular saw.

Well, I'll admit to being confused how you could have a circular
saw without a circular blade...

This circular argument needs to stop!

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 8/16/2015 8:24 AM, Leon wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote:
In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

[...]

I'm sorry, but you're babbling incoherently. You've been doing enough
of that lately to make me worry for your health. Please get a checkup
and be sure to inform the physician that others tell you that you babble
incoherently at times.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 8/15/2015 6:42 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

There seems to be some confusion here. The woman invented the circular
blade design. I'm clueless who invented the circular saw.

Well, I'll admit to being confused how you could have a circular
saw without a circular blade...

John

I'm sure the machine to run the blade came a touch later. But for sure
there was no circular saw before there was a circular blade. ;~)

Well, with apologies to Unquestionably Confused, it seems
evident that circular saws existed long before Ms Babbitt.
Ergo, since the blade must have existed before the saw by
your own admission, Ms Babbitt did not invent either the
saw or the blade.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused wrote in
:

I agree, but the OP's question was rather vague and the followup
answers wandered all over the place as well.

Just to throw some more sh*t in the game, the first time a human
hooked an animal to any device that performed some sort of work on
behalf of said human could probably be said to be a power tool driven
by other than the user's hand power.

OP specifically excluded tools using animal power (which
presumably also includes human power).

There's a bit of a fuzzyness there, tho, if you consider
stored power. If an animal compresses a spring, or carries
water to an elevated tank, and that is then later used to
power a tool is it still animal powered?

John