Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default the first power tool

On 08/15/2015 3:32 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 8/15/2015 3:32 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 07:32:02 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Before the Circular saw was used probably the most common type of saw
was what was called a Pit saw. It was a cross cut saw, and was used on
a on a platform pit arrangement. One person on the platform that other
person in the pit and the log between them.

I thought pit saws were used for ripping, as in this drawing:

http://www.wooden-box-maker.com/images/pit-saw.jpg

Both circular saw and the reciprocating saw (Pit saw) were rip saws.

I forget which water mill it is in Indiana, (We visited most) but that
reciprocating saw was used for ripping logs in to useable planks.

I do not know when the circular saw was first used for cross grain
cutting. ie in a construction type of environment.

I don't know but expect at the same time or very shortly after the were
adapted to cut to length...folks didn't generally wait around back then
for somebody else to come up with a modification; _somebody_ at a mill
somewhere did it long before the electric motor and the Skilsaw like
portable tool.