Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default seasoning equipment

On 08/16/2015 7:09 AM, dpb wrote:

That's not to say the SS owners won't be also; altho I'd worry somewhat
with them with regards to that long-term reliability of the electronics
without, at least, key component replacements/updates--the double-edged
sword of electronics.

Now that there's (finally!) been an apparent retraction on the tablesaw
question, the above query/concern--

Is there a test mode I presume for the electronics or a power-on test
that the brake detector circuitry is operational?

What sort of warranty and maintenance schedule is given for the
electronics outside of the saw mechanicals, any?

Wonder what sort of failure rate there's been in the field; they've been
out approach 10-yr now or so?

On the subject in the other subthread regarding
"patent-infringement-avoidance" engineering, I first heard of the SS
patent and brouhaha with the established manufacturers while still
employed in the new product development section (before dad passed away
that was the impetus for the move back to the family farm). Being as
such non-contacting measurements were our forte albeit in other fields
of application and that was a moderately avid woodworker, it intrigued
me personally about whether could manage to work around their patents if
it were to come to it. I did have a couple of ideas, one of which did
make a lab prototype of the detection circuitry that did function that I
think could be developed to do the job. It's not quite up to the
"neatness" factor of the SS technology, but convinced me the other
manufacturers could, if they were to choose to do so, build a similar
capability and circumvent the SS patent. I expect they all have
something similar in their development labs and are simply waiting to
see what, if anything, actually comes out of CPSC rulings first.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/17/2015 2:43 PM, dpb wrote:
On 08/16/2015 7:09 AM, dpb wrote: ...

That's not to say the SS owners won't be also; altho I'd worry
somewhat with them with regards to that long-term reliability of
the electronics without, at least, key component
replacements/updates--the double-edged sword of electronics.

Now that there's (finally!) been an apparent retraction on the
tablesaw question, the above query/concern--

what?

Is there a test mode I presume for the electronics or a power-on test
that the brake detector circuitry is operational?

Yes, in fact the brake has to warm up to a minimum set temp before the
saw motor can be turned on. There is a boot sequence much like a
computer has. When the main switch is turned off and back on you must
wait for the solid green light minus the blinking red light before you
can power up the motor.

What sort of warranty and maintenance schedule is given for the
electronics outside of the saw mechanicals, any?

Warranty IIRC is 2 years. No maintenance schedule other than replacing
a brake if it fails the boot test.

Wonder what sort of failure rate there's been in the field; they've
been out approach 10-yr now or so?

Early on I heard of several that were linked to the environment. As I
understand it SS worked with the owners to resolve the issue. IIRC one
involved a particular type watch the operator was wearing.

--

There are actually 2~3 other methods of preventing injury being
experimented with and in fact Bosch has a TS now that works in a similar

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/bo...axx-table-saw/

Posted to rec.woodworking

The top post seems to be missing from my thread download...

Anyhow, the title should probably read "seasoning cast iron" rather than
"seasoning equipment." In addition to the seasoning another traditional
step in working castings is to pickle the casting either by immersion in a
sulfuric acid/water bath for a short time, or by dripping the pickling
solution on the surface and allowing it to run off. This is done until the
surface scale is loosened and can be brushed or ground away. In both cases
the goal is to remove the scale, which can be harder than files, so that the
soft cast iron surface is exposed and available for machining/filing.