marc rosen

Default seasoning lumber

Hello Group,
I want to make a railing set in my house from rough sawn- hand planed
oak. The rails (2 sets of 3) will slide into the posts via dovetail
grooves. Rails will be 5 x 3 and the posts (2 sets of 2)will vary in
size with the largest about 6x4. If I stack the posts near my
woodstove this winter, how long do you think I need to let them dry
before I can plane and machine them? (The rails have been sawn about 5
years ago- I got them from a friend.)
Are there any guidelines about thickness, length, etc. that govern warm
air drying? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Marc

SteveC1280

Rule of thumb is 1 year of air drying for each inch thickness. Probably not
best to put them near the wood stove as they might get too dry and expand later
on. After drying put them in the house for a week or two to get them aclimated
to the moisture conditions in the house.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.
George

"SteveC1280" wrote in message
Rule of thumb is 1 year of air drying for each inch thickness. Probably

not
best to put them near the wood stove as they might get too dry and expand

later
on. After drying put them in the house for a week or two to get them

aclimated
to the moisture conditions in the house.

Put the thumb back. http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/tmu/publications.htm

All kinds of seasoning and storing publications based on empirical
information.

Key is where they start. If cut and stored for 5 years, they're pretty
close to the MC that equates to the relative humidity in which they were
stored. The key is to get them closer to the conditions where they will be
used.

I'd let them adjust a couple of weeks, all sides open to air indoors, then
mill them in stages to see what develops.