Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Opinions, Please

What retail value would you estimate for this auction Lot?
http://irsauctions.com/popups/bidder...14339&id=19143

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 7:53:46 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
What retail value would you estimate for this auction Lot?
http://irsauctions.com/popups/bidder...14339&id=19143

Sonny

Hard to say without knowing quantities ... but that looks like a hell of a lot of drawer guides and a lot of poundage of screws. Retail ... much more than the $250 current bid.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2015 10:04 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 7:53:46 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
What retail value would you estimate for this auction Lot?
http://irsauctions.com/popups/bidder...14339&id=19143

Sonny

Hard to say without knowing quantities ... but that looks like a hell of a lot of drawer guides and a lot of poundage of screws. Retail ... much more than the $250 current bid.

Larry

Agreed, I see a lot of things that drive the cost up. The screws, the
knife blocks, the lifts. Never mind the blums.

There might be $1000, might be $2000 in there. Hard to tell. That's a
nice lot.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2015 7:53 PM, Sonny wrote:
What retail value would you estimate for this auction Lot?
http://irsauctions.com/popups/bidder...14339&id=19143

Sonny

The box of fluorescent ballasts, I'd wager, is worth more than the $250
on the table.

Gotta be careful with the Quick Screws though. If Slick Willie Clinton
hears about them, he'll be all over them!

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

On 7/14/2015 10:04 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 7:53:46 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
What retail value would you estimate for this auction Lot?
http://irsauctions.com/popups/bidder...14339&id=19143

Sonny

Hard to say without knowing quantities ... but that looks like a hell of a lot of drawer guides and a lot of poundage of screws. Retail ... much more than the $250 current bid.

Larry

Agreed, I see a lot of things that drive the cost up. The screws, the
knife blocks, the lifts. Never mind the blums.

Screw the Blums, there were some Accurides in there. Not mentioned but
visible and clearly marked in one of the photos.

There might be $1000, might be $2000 in there. Hard to tell. That's a
nice lot.

This is the kind of thing my former boss would see and then get caught
up in the bidding and pay about a hundred bucks more than retail for.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 5:40:20 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
The sale ends tomorrow.

Check that. The sale ends today!

..... Kinna lost track of time, lately.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/2015 7:03 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 5:40:20 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
The sale ends tomorrow.

Check that. The sale ends today!

.... Kinna lost track of time, lately.
Sonny

Unless you intend to resell some of it, it's worth remembering that any
of the stuff you don't end up using was worth $0.00. Bid at an amount
that represents a good deal on only the stuff you will definitely use.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 7:03:23 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 5:40:20 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
The sale ends tomorrow.

Check that. The sale ends today!

.... Kinna lost track of time, lately.
Sonny

If you've lost track of time, how do you know it happened lately? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 10:16:22 AM UTC-4, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 7/15/2015 7:03 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 5:40:20 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
The sale ends tomorrow.

Check that. The sale ends today!

.... Kinna lost track of time, lately.
Sonny

Unless you intend to resell some of it, it's worth remembering that any
of the stuff you don't end up using was worth $0.00. Bid at an amount
that represents a good deal on only the stuff you will definitely use.

Wait a minute, you've have completed disregarded the true definition of a bargain:

"The offer of something that one doesn't use at a price he cannot resist."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 9:16:22 AM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:

Unless you intend to resell some of it, it's worth remembering that any
of the stuff you don't end up using was worth $0.00. Bid at an amount
that represents a good deal on only the stuff you will definitely use.

It's not uncommon for me to give away excess stuff, but I could probably find a use for quite a bit of the items.

I decided not to bid on the Lot. I sent Jim an email and link.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 9:22:12 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you've lost track of time, how do you know it happened lately? ;-)

LOL. Typo? I lost track of days. I was thinking (this morning) that today was the 14th.

I more often loose track for my nap times.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/2015 10:28 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 10:16:22 AM UTC-4, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 7/15/2015 7:03 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 5:40:20 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
The sale ends tomorrow.

Check that. The sale ends today!

.... Kinna lost track of time, lately.
Sonny

Unless you intend to resell some of it, it's worth remembering that any
of the stuff you don't end up using was worth $0.00. Bid at an amount
that represents a good deal on only the stuff you will definitely use.

Wait a minute, you've have completed disregarded the true definition of a bargain:

"The offer of something that one doesn't use at a price he cannot resist."

My Dad was always frugal, but also generous. He'd find a "steal"
somewhere; something sold at perhaps 25% of the original price. But then
he'd buy eight of them. We'd keep one; the other seven would go to
friends and neighbors, netting him the item at only 200% of the original
cost.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 11:54:28 AM UTC-4, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

As Jackie Mason has been known to exclaim:

"Such a deal!"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/2015 11:54 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

My Dad was always frugal, but also generous. He'd find a "steal"
somewhere; something sold at perhaps 25% of the original price. But then
he'd buy eight of them. We'd keep one; the other seven would go to
friends and neighbors, netting him the item at only 200% of the original
cost.

I bet friends and neighbors loved him though. Worth the price of admission.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/2015 10:32 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 9:16:22 AM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:

Unless you intend to resell some of it, it's worth remembering that any
of the stuff you don't end up using was worth $0.00. Bid at an amount
that represents a good deal on only the stuff you will definitely use.

It's not uncommon for me to give away excess stuff, but I could probably find a use for quite a bit of the items.

I decided not to bid on the Lot. I sent Jim an email and link.

Well, somebody got themselves a deal. It appears the lot went for $425
plus the 10% premium. Let's call it $475 and shipping/or pickup.

From what I saw in a brief glance it was a helluva deal for somebody
even if they can only use some of it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

:-)

and one hopes, goodwill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/17/2015 6:26 AM, Contrarian wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Yes indeed. That puts me in mind of another story:

My Dad used to bake bread at irregular intervals. He did it the way his
mother had: without a mixing bowl. We got flour in 50 and 100 lb. sacks
courtesy of an uncle in the food business. My Dad would pour out a small
mountain of flour on the formica countertop and hollow out a recess in
the center, forming a volcano shape. Into the middle would go the water,
yeast etc. He'd then slowly mix the flour into the center, scooping in
handfuls from the side of the volcano, until it was all mixed.

Needless to say, no measurements were involved. But he knew the
consistency he was looking for. As he went along he'd decide it was a
little too wet, and add flour. Then perhaps a little too dry, and add
water. Sometimes he did this repeatedly. The intended amount of dough,
already "calculated" to be in excess of what was needed, would grow;
sometimes a good bit.

On one particular occasion he must have miscalculated more than usual. I
remember that batch yielding 48 separate items. Many of those were
full-size loaves; some were midway between small loaves of bread and
overlarge dinner rolls. The oven was going well into the night.

The neighbors ate well those next few days.

Any Opinions on this? ChairMan[_6_] Woodworking 28 May 25th 13 01:55 AM
OT Opinions? The Other Mike[_3_] UK diy 0 November 30th 12 08:10 PM
Opinions Steve B[_13_] Metalworking 19 November 4th 12 01:03 PM
I need your opinions Skey_000 Woodworking 14 March 27th 07 04:03 PM
Opinions? Steve B Metalworking 10 February 16th 06 02:17 AM