Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Particle Board screws

What kind of screws should I use to connect a metal bracket to 3/4"-thick particle board? (The screws must not go all the way through the particle board).

(The original screws are blunt -- not pointed (like a wood-screw) -- and the threads look more parallel than angled).

How do I drill pilot holes for the new screws?
In addition to the screws, should I use any glue?
Posted to rec.woodworking

gary wrote in
:

What kind of screws should I use to connect a metal bracket to
3/4"-thick particle board? (The screws must not go all the way
through the particle board).

(The original screws are blunt -- not pointed (like a wood-screw) --
and the threads look more parallel than angled).

How do I drill pilot holes for the new screws?
In addition to the screws, should I use any glue?

If you're just holding the particle board in place, like building a
shelf, sheet metal screws will be fine. #10 would be a good place to
start. I may or may not even bother with a pilot hole, it just depends
on the exact situation. Particle board tends to be soft, so is fairly
forgiving of pilot hole size.

If you do go with pilot holes, drilling them on the drill press would be
a good idea. It's easy to drill too far with a hand-held drill.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've already tried sheet-metal screws and wood screws but both pull out of the particle board.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 22:45:55 -0700 (PDT), gary wrote:

What kind of screws should I use to connect a metal bracket to 3/4"-thick particle board?
The screws must not go all the way through the particle board.
The original screws are blunt -- not pointed (like a wood-screw) -- and the threads look more parallel than angled.
How do I drill pilot holes for the new screws?
In addition to the screws, should I use any glue?

The Lee Valley web site says that these Lo-Root will work
for particle board. I can't see how glue will help much ?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...306,41315&ap=1

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

gary wrote in
:

I've already tried sheet-metal screws and wood screws but both pull
out of the particle board.

If stuck with the particle board, here's how I'd approach it.
1. Glue or adhesive between the top and entire bracket. I'd look at Liquid
Nails Project Adhesive or Interior/Exterior.
2. Multiple threaded inserts. Drill through the bracket if you can/have
to. Installing more inserts means each insert will have to hold less load.
Use oil and a sharp bit for best results.

Option 2 would be to route out sections of the particle board and replace
it with 1/2" pineywood or similar. (You can use thicker wood if you don't
mind it hanging below the surface.) The wood would be glued in place with
regular wood glue after being sized to fit.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

gary wrote:
What kind of screws should I use to connect a metal bracket to
3/4"-thick particle board? (The screws must not go all the way
through the particle board).

(The original screws are blunt -- not pointed (like a wood-screw) --
and the threads look more parallel than angled).

How do I drill pilot holes for the new screws?

Uhhh...with a drill and bit, bit size the same(or smidge smaller) than the
diameter of the screw shank.

In addition to the screws, should I use any glue?

No

You would do better to insert T-nuts on the back side of the particle board
and use bolts to attach the bracket.

If you just gotta use screws, the coarse threaded ones made for PB work
best. Any screw will work better if you screw in the screw, remove it,
squirt crazu glue into the hole, let it dry (it is dry when th eodor is
gone) then re-insert the screw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

gary wrote:

What kind of screws should I use to connect a metal bracket to
3/4"-thick particle board? (The screws must not go all the way
through the particle board).

(The original screws are blunt -- not pointed (like a wood-screw) --
and the threads look more parallel than angled).

How do I drill pilot holes for the new screws?
In addition to the screws, should I use any glue?

I bet you already got plenty of opinions on the screws so i will just say
consider using a piece of wood if you can

if you no wood than definitely use glue for the screw and metal plate

recently had to repair a particle board horror and was surprised how
well titebond held a met collar in place

used a lot of glue and let it dry for several days and the thing is very
secure

this was a quick fix and should last long enough but i would have swapped
out for real wood if i had to look at it or use it

Posted to rec.woodworking

For my application, the T-nuts would be installed on the TOP of the desktop and holes would be drilled THROUGH particle board so bolts could be used to attach the bracket. My original question said: "The screws must NOT go all the way through the particle board".

So I will be using threaded inserts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

For my application, the T-nuts would be installed on the TOP surface of the desktop and the holes would be drilled THROUGH particle board so bolts could be used to attach the bracket on the BOTTOM surface of the desktop.

My original posting said: "The screws must NOT go all the way through the particle board".

So I will be using threaded inserts.

How to Secure Screws in Particle Board? wayne Home Repair 14 October 4th 17 12:14 AM
Particle Boad screws gary Woodworking 51 July 14th 15 09:40 PM
Diabolical particle board Existential Angst Woodworking 10 December 3rd 09 03:56 PM
Screws - particle board vs. construction Jimbo Woodworking 13 August 28th 08 07:57 PM
Using sheet metal, particle board, or drywall screws in wood, and help finding source for black wood screws John2005 Woodworking 10 June 19th 06 04:35 PM