Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Stihl

What's with Stihl?

Here in SoCal, Stihl is running TV commercials for their line of lawn
grass
maintenance equipment.

At the same time, financial inducements are being offered to rip out
high water usage grass and replace the grass with drought resistant
native plants.

Think maybe somebody in marketing doesn't stay current with the
needs of their market?

BTW, as somebody who spent many hours behind a lawn mower
with a clipping bag attached, while growing up and living in NE Ohio,
the local grass is nothing more than yellow/green weeds IMHO.

It deserves a large dose of Round Up, not precious water and
fertilizer.

Kentucky Blue or Merion it isn't.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 15:55:57 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

What's with Stihl?

Here in SoCal, Stihl is running TV commercials for their line of lawn
grass
maintenance equipment.

At the same time, financial inducements are being offered to rip out
high water usage grass and replace the grass with drought resistant
native plants.

Think maybe somebody in marketing doesn't stay current with the
needs of their market?

BTW, as somebody who spent many hours behind a lawn mower
with a clipping bag attached, while growing up and living in NE Ohio,
the local grass is nothing more than yellow/green weeds IMHO.

It deserves a large dose of Round Up, not precious water and
fertilizer.

Kentucky Blue or Merion it isn't.

It is a national sale Lew. The lack of water in your neck of the woods
does not extend to the east coast.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markem" wrote:

It is a national sale Lew. The lack of water in your neck of the
woods
does not extend to the east coast.

Ignorance of the conditions that exist in excess of 12% of your
market,
(Left Coast) conveys another message about your business that is not
exactly swift.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stihl

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...

What's with Stihl?

Here in SoCal, Stihl is running TV commercials for their line of lawn grass
maintenance equipment.

Perhaps you shouldn't under estimate the attraction people have for getting
a deal on something that they think they need.... or might need in the
future. I can think of several people I know who have all kinds of stuff
that they got a deal on and that's been collecting dust ever since! ;~)

BTW, I didn't mind the deal on got on the Stihl chainsaw and PPE I got a few
weeks ago... and I've used it! I've cut down about 20 dead/near-dead ash
trees, 6 dead/near-dead maples and a dead pine tree with it already and have
a lot more to go!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/2015 6:55 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
What's with Stihl?

Here in SoCal, Stihl is running TV commercials for their line of lawn
grass
maintenance equipment.

At the same time, financial inducements are being offered to rip out
high water usage grass and replace the grass with drought resistant
native plants.

Think maybe somebody in marketing doesn't stay current with the
needs of their market?

The market is nationwide. Commercials like you see now were made and
scheduled many months ago.

In spite of the drought, equipment will still be needed and will be sold.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

Perhaps you shouldn't under estimate the attraction people have for
getting a deal on something that they think they need.... or might
need in the future. I can think of several people I know who have
all kinds of stuff that they got a deal on and that's been
collecting dust ever since!

Talk about a deal.

The water dept will pay you to take out the grass and replace it with
approved drought resistant native plants.

There are companies springing up that will come in, rip out your
grass, design and replace the approved plants.

All you have to do is sit back and watch, sign over the water dept
check and sip on your margarita.

That's a pretty good deal if you ask me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

The market is nationwide. Commercials like you see now were made
and scheduled many months ago.

You can tailor a nationwide TV commerical to exclude specific markets
based
on overnight results, just ask the politicans.

In spite of the drought, equipment will still be needed and will be
sold.

Guess there is still a market for string trimmers for use on the rocks
and cacti.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
What's with Stihl?

Here in SoCal, Stihl is running TV commercials for their line of lawn
grass
maintenance equipment.

At the same time, financial inducements are being offered to rip out
high water usage grass and replace the grass with drought resistant
native plants.

Think maybe somebody in marketing doesn't stay current with the
needs of their market?

BTW, as somebody who spent many hours behind a lawn mower
with a clipping bag attached, while growing up and living in NE Ohio,
the local grass is nothing more than yellow/green weeds IMHO.

It deserves a large dose of Round Up, not precious water and
fertilizer.

Kentucky Blue or Merion it isn't.

Why don't you take your west coast attitude and your gripes, directly to
Stihl, Lew? As for me - I love their products.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Talk about a deal.

The water dept will pay you to take out the grass and replace it with
approved drought resistant native plants.

There are companies springing up that will come in, rip out your
grass, design and replace the approved plants.

All you have to do is sit back and watch, sign over the water dept
check and sip on your margarita.

That's a pretty good deal if you ask me.

Then just do it and quit bitching about everything else.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Then just do it and quit bitching about everything else.

Tuff day Bunkie?

Not bitching, just observing the obvious.

BTW, got out of the grass maintenance business over 30 years
ago which was about the same time I lost any need for a snow
shovel.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Why don't you take your west coast attitude and your gripes,
directly to Stihl, Lew? As for me - I love their products.

My comments have NOTHING to do with Stihl products.

My comments are nothing other than an observation of their
marketing techniques.

BTW, what is an "west coast attitude"?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Then just do it and quit bitching about everything else.

Tuff day Bunkie?

Nope - just get tired every once in a while at seeing your self proclaimed
righteousness in this group. You have grass problems? Good - deal with
them. That does not mean the rest of us do, and have to deal with it like
you do. You chose to live there - live with the issues. Don't preach to
the rest of us about it.

Not bitching, just observing the obvious.

Obvious to you.

BTW, got out of the grass maintenance business over 30 years
ago which was about the same time I lost any need for a snow
shovel.

Then why continue to comment on it?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markem" wrote:

It is a national sale Lew. The lack of water in your neck of the
woods
does not extend to the east coast.

Ignorance of the conditions that exist in excess of 12% of your
market,
(Left Coast) conveys another message about your business that is not
exactly swift.

Let see 100 - 12 = 88.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:557100cd$0$29684
:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

The market is nationwide. Commercials like you see now were made
and scheduled many months ago.

You can tailor a nationwide TV commerical to exclude specific markets
based
on overnight results, just ask the politicans.

Costs a lot more to do that. Politicians, who have money to
burn(*), can do that. Businesses that intend to make a profit
have to be wiser with their money. It's a more cost effective
for Stihl to advertise everywhere, even tho they know they
won't sell much (if anything) in LA.

(* money in politics being a completely seperate problem...)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Then just do it and quit bitching about everything else.
Tuff day Bunkie?

Nope - just get tired every once in a while at seeing your self proclaimed
righteousness in this group. You have grass problems? Good - deal with
them. That does not mean the rest of us do, and have to deal with it like
you do. You chose to live there - live with the issues. Don't preach to
the rest of us about it.

+ 1

You know that everyone, from every state, thinks they have
unique problems. Many here who participate in this newgroup
take great pleasure in pointing to california as "liberal" or
"fruits & nuts", or whatever. A pox on all your houses,
all states have warts, all states have great things.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Scott Lurndal wrote:

You know that everyone, from every state, thinks they have
unique problems. Many here who participate in this newgroup
take great pleasure in pointing to california as "liberal" or
"fruits & nuts", or whatever. A pox on all your houses,
all states have warts, all states have great things.

Not us here in the Empire state - all we have is high taxes, liberal
leaders, declining job opportunities, high taxes, lots of snowfall in the
winter, high taxes... other than that, it's a pretty good place to live...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:

Not getting on the state of California, just Lew is being
curmudgeonly. When California shuts down the Walmart water bottling
plant then you will know they have done something about they're water
problem.

Just FWIW - I really like Lew. He is full of knowledge and contributes a
lot of very good things to this group. I generally take what he says about
products/technologies, etc. to heart. He's been around a long time, done a
lot of things, and shares a lot of wisdom here. Lew and I stand on
different sides of the more subjective thoughts and issues in life, and that
might just come through every once in a while.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote in news:2k13nal95gj64ob183rdg8efar3b9p8tuk@
4ax.com:

Let see 100 - 12 = 88.

Except in Southern California, which is -- as everyone who lives there knows -- the most
important part of the entire planet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:mkslge$rbd$1@dont-
email.me:

Scott Lurndal wrote:

You know that everyone, from every state, thinks they have
unique problems. Many here who participate in this newgroup
take great pleasure in pointing to california as "liberal" or
"fruits & nuts", or whatever. A pox on all your houses,
all states have warts, all states have great things.

Not us here in the Empire state - all we have is high taxes, liberal
leaders, declining job opportunities, high taxes, lots of snowfall in the
winter, high taxes... other than that, it's a pretty good place to live...

You also have the Adirondacks, where SWMBO and I spent a *very* pleasant vacation last
fall. Adirondack Park is stunning in October.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Scott Lurndal wrote:

You know that everyone, from every state, thinks they have
unique problems. Many here who participate in this newgroup
take great pleasure in pointing to california as "liberal" or
"fruits & nuts", or whatever. A pox on all your houses,
all states have warts, all states have great things.

Not us here in the Empire state - all we have is high taxes, liberal
leaders, declining job opportunities, high taxes, lots of snowfall in
the winter, high taxes... other than that, it's a pretty good place to
live...

Not us in the Sunshine state either - all we have are hurricanes
and alligators (and the occasional Burmese python).

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem writes:

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

[...]

If it was a problem, it would have been shut down. The amount
of water used by that plant is literally a drop in the bucket.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John McCoy" wrote in message
. ..
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Scott Lurndal wrote:

You know that everyone, from every state, thinks they have
unique problems. Many here who participate in this newgroup
take great pleasure in pointing to california as "liberal" or
"fruits & nuts", or whatever. A pox on all your houses,
all states have warts, all states have great things.

Not us here in the Empire state - all we have is high taxes, liberal
leaders, declining job opportunities, high taxes, lots of snowfall in
the winter, high taxes... other than that, it's a pretty good place to
live...

Not us in the Sunshine state either - all we have are hurricanes
and alligators (and the occasional Burmese python).

Us folks up here in the northwest corner, according to some local folks,
have a sasquatch problem. I really don't think they are much of a problem,
but some worry about what political affiliation they may have.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

What's with Stihl?

Here in SoCal, Stihl is running TV commercials for their line of
lawn grass
maintenance equipment.

At the same time, financial inducements are being offered to rip out
high water usage grass and replace the grass with drought resistant
native plants.

Think maybe somebody in marketing doesn't stay current with the
needs of their market?

BTW, as somebody who spent many hours behind a lawn mower
with a clipping bag attached, while growing up and living in NE
Ohio,
the local grass is nothing more than yellow/green weeds IMHO.

It deserves a large dose of Round Up, not precious water and
fertilizer.

Kentucky Blue or Merion it isn't.

The above was the initial post.

Nowhere does it attack where someone lives.

It was simply an observation of a gotcha as far as Stihl marketing is
concerned.

Pitching a product you want to sell to a market segment that is
shrinking and will continue shrink just isn't swift.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Scott Lurndal wrote:

You know that everyone, from every state, thinks they have
unique problems. Many here who participate in this newgroup
take great pleasure in pointing to california as "liberal" or
"fruits & nuts", or whatever. A pox on all your houses,
all states have warts, all states have great things.

Not us here in the Empire state - all we have is high taxes, liberal
leaders, declining job opportunities, high taxes, lots of snowfall
in the winter, high taxes... other than that, it's a pretty good
place to live...

You also have the Adirondacks, where SWMBO and I spent a *very*
pleasant vacation last fall. Adirondack Park is stunning in October.

Yes we do! You are absolutely correct. Beautiful country, great fishing,
good hunting, great hiking and camping. Peaceful, and scenic. Too bad we
did not know you were in the area, we could have tried to hook up.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 18:36:05 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

Markem writes:
On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 16:03:38 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

[...]

The jobs and tax revenue are better reasons not too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 13:17:02 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Scott Lurndal wrote:

You know that everyone, from every state, thinks they have
unique problems. Many here who participate in this newgroup
take great pleasure in pointing to california as "liberal" or
"fruits & nuts", or whatever. A pox on all your houses,
all states have warts, all states have great things.

Not us here in the Empire state - all we have is high taxes, liberal
leaders, declining job opportunities, high taxes, lots of snowfall in the
winter, high taxes... other than that, it's a pretty good place to live...

So New York's ad campaign is not truthful?! Advertising lies OMG.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015 13:27:29 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

[...]

It is a national campaign, why worry about it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

Doug Miller wrote:

You also have the Adirondacks, where SWMBO and I spent a *very*
pleasant vacation last fall. Adirondack Park is stunning in October.

Yes we do! You are absolutely correct. Beautiful country, great fishing,
good hunting, great hiking and camping. Peaceful, and scenic. Too bad we
did not know you were in the area, we could have tried to hook up.

Hmmmm.... Ruffed Grouse and woodcock??

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/5/2015 4:27 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Pitching a product you want to sell to a market segment that is
shrinking and will continue shrink just isn't swift.

Nothing more, nothing less.

It may be shrinking, but it is still a market. Why walk away from it?
Why concede to the competition?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

You also have the Adirondacks, where SWMBO and I spent a *very*
pleasant vacation last fall. Adirondack Park is stunning in October.

Yes we do! You are absolutely correct. Beautiful country, great
fishing, good hunting, great hiking and camping. Peaceful, and
scenic. Too bad we did not know you were in the area, we could have
tried to hook up.

Hmmmm.... Ruffed Grouse and woodcock??

Funny you should say that. When we first bought our land, some 30 years
ago, the grouse hunting was pretty good. Over time the coyotes and the red
fox moved in and that population has really dropped off. Hardly ever spook
one up when going out in the woods now.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

It may be shrinking, but it is still a market. Why walk away from
it? Why concede to the competition?

Under normal conditions, I'd agree with you, but the drought situation
across the entire state of California is far from normal.

The governor has declared a water reduction program that has teeth
on the penalty side for failure to comply.

Some people are looking at 36% reduction.

Fines in the $10K area.

SoCal is basically a paved desert. Nothing grows on a sustained basis
without watering.

The quickest way to reduce water consumption, is to reduce watering
the vegetation, especially grass.

You quit watering grass, it turns brown, a visible sign to your
neighbors
that you are implementing a water reduction program and also that it
is
not growing, thus doesn't need to be cut.

If your grass is green, expect a visit from the water police who have
probably been tipped off by a neighbor.

All the above is aimed at the city/suburb dweller.

Agriculture is a whole different kettle of fish.

As a result of all the above, lawn care equipment is not a
particularly
good business in CA for the foreseeable future.

Neither is swimming pool equipment. People are talking about removing
back yard pools.

All the above is a mattter of common knowledge, or should be,
especially to somebody spend mass marketing advertising $.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/2015 5:55 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
What's with Stihl?

Here in SoCal, Stihl is running TV commercials for their line of lawn
grass
maintenance equipment.

At the same time, financial inducements are being offered to rip out
high water usage grass and replace the grass with drought resistant
native plants.

Think maybe somebody in marketing doesn't stay current with the
needs of their market?

It has been proven with solid evidence that Californians can be talked
into buying anything. ;~)

BTW, as somebody who spent many hours behind a lawn mower
with a clipping bag attached, while growing up and living in NE Ohio,
the local grass is nothing more than yellow/green weeds IMHO.

It deserves a large dose of Round Up, not precious water and
fertilizer.

Kentucky Blue or Merion it isn't.

I have see that grass, Kentucky Blue, is seems so delicate.

Along the Texas coast we have St. Augustine aka carpet grass. When
growing well an average yard's clippings will will easily fill a 45 gal
contractors bag with each mowing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=st+a...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Then just do it and quit bitching about everything else.
Tuff day Bunkie?
Nope - just get tired every once in a while at seeing your self proclaimed
righteousness in this group. You have grass problems? Good - deal with
them. That does not mean the rest of us do, and have to deal with it like
you do. You chose to live there - live with the issues. Don't preach to
the rest of us about it.

+ 1

You know that everyone, from every state, thinks they have
unique problems. Many here who participate in this newgroup
take great pleasure in pointing to california as "liberal" or
"fruits & nuts", or whatever. A pox on all your houses,
all states have warts, all states have great things.

California,"the state" is great! The stewards of the state may not be
so much and I think the results are showing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/2015 10:08 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Why don't you take your west coast attitude and your gripes,
directly to Stihl, Lew? As for me - I love their products.

My comments have NOTHING to do with Stihl products.

My comments are nothing other than an observation of their
marketing techniques.

BTW, what is an "west coast attitude"?

Lew

I'm sure Stihl is doing quite well in California. You can blame your
local networks for choosing to let Stihl advertize in your market. If
they were not selling products to the California population they would
not be advertizing there. They are not an ignorant start up company.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
says...

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

Fine, Mr. Heap Big Marketing Expert, show us the numbers that say that
it is to their benefit to selectively not advertise in California.

If you can't show the numbers then you're just being an opinionated
jackass without the sense to STFU about thins he doesn't understand.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

That's about right.
Kalifornia (2015) ~= E. Germany (1960)

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/...el-since-2007/

All the above is a mattter of common knowledge, or should be,
especially to somebody spend mass marketing advertising $.

Lew

Husqy or Stihl? SteveB[_14_] Home Repair 23 December 12th 13 05:53 AM
New Stihl Chainsaw Tony[_19_] Home Repair 62 April 26th 10 05:28 AM
Stihl or Husqvarna? joe[_6_] Home Repair 58 January 24th 09 08:18 PM
stihl chain saw russ Woodworking 2 October 10th 04 01:24 PM
Stihl Mike Reed Woodturning 5 July 31st 04 09:52 PM