Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ryobi Black Oxide Drill Bits

Picked up this Ryobi Black Diamond drill bit set at Home Depot
simply in order to have something to drill an occasional hole.

Also picked up an 18 VDC Harbor Freight drill driver.

Recently had to drill out a 5/64" hole to 1/8" in the side of a 12 mm
shaft to accept a 3/32" cotter key.

Got lucky. A 1/8" drill reamed out the hole while I managed to keep
the drill bit aligned with only free hand alignment.

Surprise, got the hole reamed out without breaking the bit.

My less than $50 investment for a box of drill bits and two (2)
18 VDC drill drivers served it's purpose.

Guess there is a place for low cost tools.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2015 7:14 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Picked up this Ryobi Black Diamond drill bit set at Home Depot
simply in order to have something to drill an occasional hole.

Also picked up an 18 VDC Harbor Freight drill driver.

Recently had to drill out a 5/64" hole to 1/8" in the side of a 12 mm
shaft to accept a 3/32" cotter key.

Got lucky. A 1/8" drill reamed out the hole while I managed to keep
the drill bit aligned with only free hand alignment.

Surprise, got the hole reamed out without breaking the bit.

My less than $50 investment for a box of drill bits and two (2)
18 VDC drill drivers served it's purpose.

Guess there is a place for low cost tools.

Lew

Aren't you the guy who slammed others for buying cheap tools?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2015 7:14 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Recently had to drill out a 5/64" hole to 1/8" in the side of a 12 mm
shaft to accept a 3/32" cotter key.

I had that problem on my math exam as a senior in high school in 1963.
I think the answer was FALSE

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote:

Aren't you the guy who slammed others for buying cheap tools?

Still am when it comes to tools that are to be used on a frequent
basis.

At this point in my life, tool longevity is no longer part of the
cost/performance calculation.

BTW, never slammed anybody about a purchasing decision, but
only that cheap tools seldom are over the long haul.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

****! I guessed at "C". Apparently I got that one wrong...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2015 7:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/19/2015 7:14 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Recently had to drill out a 5/64" hole to 1/8" in the side of a 12 mm
shaft to accept a 3/32" cotter key.

I had that problem on my math exam as a senior in high school in 1963. I
think the answer was FALSE

I think Lew got it right this time.. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/19/2015 7:14 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Recently had to drill out a 5/64" hole to 1/8" in the side of a 12 mm
shaft to accept a 3/32" cotter key.

I had that problem on my math exam as a senior in high school in 1963.
I think the answer was FALSE

LOL

Black Oxide? Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Metalworking 7 January 16th 09 03:40 AM
Black Oxide? Rich Grise Metalworking 8 October 9th 07 10:40 PM
DIY Black oxide on 316? Glenn Ashmore Metalworking 9 April 24th 05 06:34 PM
Black Oxide Finishes Opinions please DE Metalworking 24 March 16th 05 06:21 AM
CASSWELL COLD BLACK OXIDE WAS Black Oxide "how to"?? in a small scale Pedroman Metalworking 1 February 17th 04 03:48 PM