Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Black Oxide?

Just received a shipment of parts. I'm familiar with the brownish-black
"black oxide" method of coloring steel, but these came in glossy and coated
almost like a black anodized aluminum part... But not as durable as either
anodizing or oxide...

It's not paint... It's more durable than that or even a sharpie marker...

Any clue what the difference is between methods of "blackening" the steel?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Our parts always came glossy, almost "waxy"... then we switched vendors
and got the dirty, brown, crappy black oxide that comes off on your hands
and clothes. The difference appears to be the "sealer"... or lack of sealer
on the brown parts.
Caswell sells their regular penetrating sealant and a new acrylic
"non-oily" sealant.

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Just received a shipment of parts. I'm familiar with the brownish-black
"black oxide" method of coloring steel, but these came in glossy and
coated almost like a black anodized aluminum part... But not as durable
as either anodizing or oxide...

It's not paint... It's more durable than that or even a sharpie marker...

Any clue what the difference is between methods of "blackening" the steel?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If it feels/looks like anodizing, it might be "e-kote"
http://www.metokote.com/coatingTechn...trocoating.asp

The process is about half way between a dip painting and a plating
process. Prduces a very good corrosion inhibitor but it is not as
durable as paint and does not do well when exposed to UV. It makes a
great undercoat/primer for powder coating. Snowmobile (Arctic Cat) and
commercial lawn mower (Toro) use E-kote then powder.

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Just received a shipment of parts. I'm familiar with the brownish-black
"black oxide" method of coloring steel, but these came in glossy and coated
almost like a black anodized aluminum part... But not as durable as either
anodizing or oxide...

It's not paint... It's more durable than that or even a sharpie marker...

Any clue what the difference is between methods of "blackening" the steel?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Just received a shipment of parts. I'm familiar with the brownish-black
"black oxide" method of coloring steel, but these came in glossy and coated
almost like a black anodized aluminum part... But not as durable as either
anodizing or oxide...

It's not paint... It's more durable than that or even a sharpie marker...

Any clue what the difference is between methods of "blackening" the steel?

Sounds like Electro Coating. Basically a THIN paint process that applies
the coating using electrostatic spray or dip. Depending on the material
it can be a good finish or a crappy one.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:54:52 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

Just received a shipment of parts. I'm familiar with the brownish-black
"black oxide" method of coloring steel, but these came in glossy and coated
almost like a black anodized aluminum part... But not as durable as either
anodizing or oxide...

It's not paint... It's more durable than that or even a sharpie marker...

Any clue what the difference is between methods of "blackening" the steel?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

===============
Take a look at
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...I NG%20SYSTEM

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Take a look at
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...I NG%20SYSTEM

Maybe... But it was 230 lbs. of small parts. Not likely that they went
through all that trouble on small parts.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:53:55 -0600, "David Courtney"
wrote:

[...]

How about Iron Phosphate. It is a harder black conversion coating,
which when oiled is VERY shiny and quite durable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just received a shipment of parts. I'm familiar with the brownish-black
"black oxide" method of coloring steel, but these came in glossy and coated
almost like a black anodized aluminum part... But not as durable as either
anodizing or oxide...

That sounds like what I know as black oxide. The glossiness is due to
a sealant applied after the oxide treatment. There are several
variables to control (temp, concentration, time, cleanliness), besides
the basic chemistry, so it's not unusual to see variations. One of my
customers put in their own line in order to control the process
themselves. They use the Penetrate Ultra Liquid on this page, after a
very thorough degreasing and cleaning routine. As advertised, the
parts come out a very dense black.
http://www.heatbath.com/heatbath/pro...ferrous_metals

--
Ned Simmons

Best way to remove rust from black oxide? DeepDiver Metalworking 23 October 6th 17 06:18 AM
Black Oxide? Rich Grise Metalworking 8 October 9th 07 10:40 PM
DIY Black oxide on 316? Glenn Ashmore Metalworking 9 April 24th 05 06:34 PM
CASSWELL COLD BLACK OXIDE WAS Black Oxide "how to"?? in a small scale Pedroman Metalworking 1 February 17th 04 03:48 PM
Black Oxide "how to"?? in a small scale Pedroman Metalworking 13 January 20th 04 01:32 AM