Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Flooring

Anyone here has any experience with plywood flooring?
http://www.braitmandesign.com/home-r...e-option/2100/

I am considering this as an inexpensive alternative to other flooring.
Almost all (bathrooms can wait a bit) all of the flooring for 1400 sq
ft home needs replacing. Currently it is 70% carpet, 20% sheet vinyl
and 10% vinyl squares.

Carpet is 20 years old, worn and coming apart at all the seams. Twenty
year old sheet vinyl isn't as bad; one major hole in washroom and two
small ones in bathrooms; mostly it's all discoloring. Vinyl tiles are
press-n-stick to OSB and are shifting badly. My hunch is the texture
of the OSB isn't right for those kind of tiles.

I'm trying to ascertain how well plywood will hold up, if properly
treated, and how difficult is it to put down. I've seen some wild
patterns but I plan to stick to a simple design, maybe a fancier edge
or something depending on cost and labor (if I do this myself).

Would standard wood flooring treatments be enough on plywood? Or are
there better, less expensive options. I don't want a 'cheap' floor, or
cheap looking. I can't afford right now to shell out 6-7k or more
(price quotes) for vinyl planks, even though I do like the look and
quality of those.

Yes I have been searching for other options. Yes I have checked
pricing everywhere I could find within a reasonable distance. I really
would prefer to do this all as one floor and keep the cost down,
especially if I end up having to pay for labor. Thoughts?

`Casper

Flooring Vange Home Ownership 0 February 28th 08 06:39 PM
Flooring Vange Home Ownership 2 February 15th 08 05:40 PM
Flooring Vange Home Repair 0 February 14th 08 01:21 AM
Natura engineered wooden flooring from Flooring Supplies - any experiences? Mark Walters UK diy 3 February 15th 05 09:24 PM
New Kitchen: Flooring b4 units or units b4 flooring? Vortex UK diy 8 November 7th 03 07:00 PM