Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Complete!

Well, *one* unit anyway. The other still needs final assembly and glue.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

The photos aren't very high quality; I'll have to try again in better
light.

This hobby (woodworking) can bite you in the ass even at the very end. I
went to great pains to make the unit stand straight. With my tools and
skills, there's always a little bit of imprecision, but I did a decent
job this time. Standing on a work surface that I had carefully checked
for flatness there was a gap of less than a 32nd under one leg. I
figured 50 pounds of books would even that out nicely.

But then I put the unit in its intended location and boy was that floor
out of whack. So I ended up having to level the unit in place anyway.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2014 7:48 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Well, *one* unit anyway. The other still needs final assembly and glue.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

The photos aren't very high quality; I'll have to try again in better
light.

This hobby (woodworking) can bite you in the ass even at the very end. I
went to great pains to make the unit stand straight. With my tools and
skills, there's always a little bit of imprecision, but I did a decent
job this time. Standing on a work surface that I had carefully checked
for flatness there was a gap of less than a 32nd under one leg. I
figured 50 pounds of books would even that out nicely.

But then I put the unit in its intended location and boy was that floor
out of whack. So I ended up having to level the unit in place anyway.

---
protection is active.

Nice job, and yes most floors are not level. I too have gone to great
pains, only to find out that the floor was out.
BTW cover that outlet with a cover.. your work looks too nice to have
that be a distraction.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2014 8:09 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I figured that you guys would comment on that. Some years ago I
replaced all of the outlets in the house, except that one, which has
until recently been inaccessible behind a piece of furniture. Once the
second unit is built, I'll redistribute the contents and cover the
outlet too. Thanks for the kind words.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Nice job! I don't know if you put any sort of feet under the legs, but
you can probably find some that are adjustable.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2014 7:48 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Well, *one* unit anyway. The other still needs final assembly and glue.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

The photos aren't very high quality; I'll have to try again in better
light.

Nice work. Get a tape graduated in 16ths and you won't see that 32nd. I
can't see it from here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2014 10:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Get a tape graduated in 16ths and you won't see that 32nd

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Ed
Pawlowski wrote:

Get a tape graduated in 16ths and you won't see that 32nd.

+1

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
Well, *one* unit anyway. The other still needs final assembly and glue.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...1490/lightbox/

The photos aren't very high quality; I'll have to try again in better light.

This hobby (woodworking) can bite you in the ass even at the very end. I
went to great pains to make the unit stand straight. With my tools and
skills, there's always a little bit of imprecision, but I did a decent
job this time. Standing on a work surface that I had carefully checked
for flatness there was a gap of less than a 32nd under one leg. I figured
50 pounds of books would even that out nicely.

But then I put the unit in its intended location and boy was that floor
out of whack. So I ended up having to level the unit in place anyway.

---

Great job Greg. If the unit rocks and you are going to leave it there,
double stick tape a small shim on the bottom of one of the legs. AND.
Put a cover on that outlet. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

protection is active. http://www.avast.com

Great job Greg. If the unit rocks and you are going to leave it
there, double stick tape a small shim on the bottom of one of the
legs. AND. Put a cover on that outlet. :-)

I agree Greg - nice job.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/15/2014 6:51 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Another relatively free day (ha!) should do it. Then I have to
decide what the next project will be.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2014 8:35 PM, Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

I considered that, but didn't have them on hand. The "legs" consist of a
1x3 and a 1x2 fastened at a right angle. I screwed pieces of 1x2 into
the corners of three of the legs, extending to the proper height for
each. The "rocking" wasn't the only problem. Fixing that still left the
top visibly out of level (due to the floor). That's why I needed to
adjust three legs rather than one.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/15/2014 4:54 AM, Leon wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

As I mentioned in another reply, "rocking" wasn't the only problem. The
floor evidently slopes up pretty badly as it nears the wall. So I needed
to "shim" three legs.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2014 6:48 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
This hobby (woodworking) can bite you in the ass even at the very end. I
went to great pains to make the unit stand straight. With my tools and
skills, there's always a little bit of imprecision, but I did a decent
job this time. Standing on a work surface that I had carefully checked
for flatness there was a gap of less than a 32nd under one leg. I
figured 50 pounds of books would even that out nicely.

Well done!

But then I put the unit in its intended location and boy was that floor
out of whack. So I ended up having to level the unit in place anyway.

Just build eight chairs and see what happens.

Not necessarily on this unit, but on pieces of great width or depth, leg
levelers of some type are pretty much mandatory.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

On 12/14/2014 6:48 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
This hobby (woodworking) can bite you in the ass even at the very end.
went to great pains to make the unit stand straight. With my tools and
skills, there's always a little bit of imprecision, but I did a decent
job this time. Standing on a work surface that I had carefully checked
for flatness there was a gap of less than a 32nd under one leg. I
figured 50 pounds of books would even that out nicely.

Well done!

But then I put the unit in its intended location and boy was that
floor
out of whack. So I ended up having to level the unit in place anyway.

Just build eight chairs and see what happens.

Maybe someday we will all wise up and make three legged chairs, those
never rock

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/15/2014 7:57 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/14/2014 6:48 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
This hobby (woodworking) can bite you in the ass even at the very end. I
went to great pains to make the unit stand straight. With my tools and
skills, there's always a little bit of imprecision, but I did a decent
job this time. Standing on a work surface that I had carefully checked
for flatness there was a gap of less than a 32nd under one leg. I
figured 50 pounds of books would even that out nicely.

Well done!

Thanks. Definitely my most complicated project so far.

But then I put the unit in its intended location and boy was that floor
out of whack. So I ended up having to level the unit in place anyway.

Just build eight chairs and see what happens.

Considering the fact that two shelf units composed mostly of right
angles took nearly six months, eight chairs would likely need to be
leveled to the floor in the rec room at the old-age home.

I have some vague pipe dreams about a larger, more permanent shop and
more efficient equipment. Oh, and the time to use it. Maybe someday.
Although I've added some new techniques with each project, I think
chairs of any kind are still a ways off. Having said that, it wasn't so
long ago that ago these shelf units would have seemed out of reach as well.

Not necessarily on this unit, but on pieces of great width or depth, leg
levelers of some type are pretty much mandatory.

I figured there'd be some leveling to do, but I was surprised to see how
much. One of the legs is fully 3/8" off the floor. What's surprising is
how inconspicuous that is when viewed from a normal adult head height.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/15/2014 9:56 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I figured there'd be some leveling to do, but I was surprised to see how
much. One of the legs is fully 3/8" off the floor. What's surprising is
how inconspicuous that is when viewed from a normal adult head height.

Happens more often than not.

This 70" long, six legged, bench would not have survived the first
seating if these two end legs had not been shimmed as you see in this photo:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...2 84736647618

Although all six legs sit perfectly flat on a flat surface, it cries for
leg levelers as a practical matter, just never got around to it, and
probably never will.

-
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/15/2014 5:37 PM, Swingman wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...2 84736647618

Although all six legs sit perfectly flat on a flat surface, it cries for
leg levelers as a practical matter, just never got around to it, and
probably never will.

That's a handsome piece. How are the seat slats fastened? Regular
mortise and tenon?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/16/2014 9:23 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
That's a handsome piece. How are the seat slats fastened? Regular
mortise and tenon?

LOL, thanks, bit it is ugly as a mud fence, but utilitarian from the
word go. Only a bench would suffice in that location, so functionality
was the only concern:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...77885 0645682

Entire piece is old fashioned M&T joinery. The structural joinery is pinned:

http://e-woodshop.net/Projects6.htm

Judging from the dates, it has been in use ten years now.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Greg Guarino
wrote:

But then I put the unit in its intended location and boy was that floor
out of whack. So I ended up having to level the unit in place anyway.

Rule 1: Nothing in a house is flat, plumb, or level.

;-)

Very nice piece. Great lines, and if the finish is close to your photo
I like the color a lot.

--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Greg Guarino
wrote:

But then I put the unit in its intended location and boy was that floor
out of whack. So I ended up having to level the unit in place anyway.

Rule 1: Nothing in a house is flat, plumb, or level.

;-)

Yes, I have noticed that before. I wasn't expecting quite this much
adjustment though.

Very nice piece. Great lines, and if the finish is close to your photo
I like the color a lot.

The color rendition is not very good. I'll have to take a picture in
better light. Come to think of it, I may need to install better light in
the living room.

And so it begins ...

---

Near complete cradle Mekon[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 9 September 19th 08 02:20 PM
Bar is almost complete Walter H. Klaus Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 May 2nd 07 02:45 AM
Bar is almost complete James \Cubby\ Culbertson Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 March 16th 07 12:37 AM
FS complete pkg Mick1V Woodturning 2 November 13th 04 11:16 AM
thanks all 1st project complete James Schenck Metalworking 9 April 19th 04 03:33 AM