Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Near complete cradle

Another coat of oil, then a wax and she'll be done. Then I have to pack
both cradle and change table and ship them to Melbourne. It'd be easier
to bring the kid here but the mother doesn't think like that.

The only changes I made to the Cherrytree plan was the stretchers are
supposed to be tapered. I did them that way and didn't like it.
Everything else in the job is curved why not them? So I put a curve on
'em. Actually eight curves. The 'hardware kit' that is an optional
extra to the plan comes with these dinky little screw plugs which sit
proud of the surface like little mushrooms. I didn't like them either
so I turned a dowel to the exact size and sliced it on the bandsaw than
sanded whatever stood proud back flush.

An odd thing happened. I haven't used my lathe in over 18 months,
simply because I pulled the chuck apart to clean it and didn't mark
which jaws went in which slots to put it back. Several frustrating goes
at putting it back together all the while cursing my stupidity and I
abandoned it with the thought of calling the manufacturer to find out
the trick to getting it right. As I said, I needed this exact size
dowel and I was wondering if the hardwood dowels I could buy would be a
close enough match for the silver ash of the crdle. When I thoughtI'd
have another go at putting the chuck back together. I just picked up
the pieces and put them in one by one in the order they happend to hit
my hand. And it worked!

Just dumb luck.

Mekon

--
Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message
Another coat of oil, then a wax and she'll be done. Then I have to pack
both cradle and change table and ship them to Melbourne. It'd be easier
to bring the kid here but the mother doesn't think like that.

The only changes I made to the Cherrytree plan was the stretchers are
supposed to be tapered. I did them that way and didn't like it.
Everything else in the job is curved why not them? So I put a curve on
'em. Actually eight curves. The 'hardware kit' that is an optional
extra to the plan comes with these dinky little screw plugs which sit
proud of the surface like little mushrooms. I didn't like them either
so I turned a dowel to the exact size and sliced it on the bandsaw than
sanded whatever stood proud back flush.

The cradle looks very graceful. It will look even better with the little
one in it. I trust the mother and family will appreciate it better than the
other experience related here recently.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Mekon" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. They will. No manipulating inlaws around here.

Mekon

--
Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 06:20:48 GMT, Mekon
wrote:

[...]

I can never stick to a plan either - but your result speaks for
itself, Mekon - it's a beauty. You're entitled to be very proud, both
of grandson and cradle. I don't think a pic of the wee man in it
would come amiss either when possible...

John

PS - is Mekon just a random name, or did you grow up with Dan Dare
too...? G
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 06:20:48 GMT, Mekon
wrote:

(snip)

I can never stick to a plan either - but your result speaks for
itself, Mekon - it's a beauty. You're entitled to be very proud, both
of grandson and cradle. I don't think a pic of the wee man in it
would come amiss either when possible...

John

PS - is Mekon just a random name, or did you grow up with Dan Dare
too...? G

Sometime toward the end of next month I should be able to provide a pic
of the cradle in use. I'll spare you a pic of the change table in
operation though.

Yes I grew up with Dan Dare in the Eagle comics too. Back in the early
days of the internet I was a heavy user of IRC and my nick there
started out as Dan Dare. Well, the reference was lost on most Americans
and it attracted the attention of a lot of gay guys. So I changed to
the dark side and became Mekon.

I also collect Biggles books and have just recently sent for the last
book to make my collection complete - "Biggles Looks Back". When it
arrives I will have all 98 plus many duplicates.

Mekon

--
Mekon

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Mekon wrote:

Another coat of oil, then a wax and she'll be done. Then I have to pack
both cradle and change table and ship them to Melbourne. It'd be easier
to bring the kid here but the mother doesn't think like that.

Very nice looking project.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 21:26:08 GMT, Mekon
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 06:20:48 GMT, Mekon
wrote:

(snip)

[...]

Well done - I have a couple of Eagle annuals myself. Dan Dare and his
Patrick Moore eyebrows - couldn't get enough. I could cry when I think
of all those Eagle comics my mother binned 50 years ago - I could be
rich. As for Biggles, couldn't get enough of them - I was reading
Biggles when I was 5.

I remember the SF folks promising our atomic back-pack helicopters
would be taking us to work and the shops by the year 2000. Mine
hasn't arrived yet - think I should ask for my postal order back? G

Come back Dan Dare - all is forgiven - the planet needs you -
desperately...

John

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

In article ,
Mekon wrote:
Yes I grew up with Dan Dare in the Eagle comics too.

me too

Back in the early days of the internet I was a heavy user of IRC and my
nick there started out as Dan Dare. Well, the reference was lost on
most Americans and it attracted the attention of a lot of gay guys. So
I changed to the dark side and became Mekon.

You could have chosen Sondar !

Hawke books did a set of reprints of the Dan Dare stories, mostly hard
back and nicely bound. I bought three or four down at Hay-on-Wye but have
not seen any more turn up in my annual pilgrimage down there. (actually I
think it is declining - possibly due to Ebay)

I bought another on Ebay but usually they go for more than I want to pay.

Stuart
(with a lot of catching up to do due to week holidaying in Ireland)

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out for them. I have a decent
collection of Biggles books (all 98!) so I appreciate juvenile fiction.

Mekon

--
Mekon

Cradle D Jordahl Woodworking 1 December 28th 05 05:39 PM
Cradle finish Al in WA soon MT Woodworking 6 January 6th 05 07:25 PM