Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Longshot enquiry - 'Red Deer Brand' wooden floor

On Sunday, 6 October 2002 20:47:03 UTC+1, Alasdair Bovaird wrote:
Hi,

I have my doubts whether this will work, but thought it worth a shot ...

I am looking to restore a wooden floor in my dining room which has long been
covered by wall to wall carpet.

The house was built in 1941-2, by the UK Admiralty and the flooring I think
dates from that time: it is made of 2.25" tongue and groove flooring which
on lifting reveals a stamped branding along the undersides: "Red Deer
Brand - Made in Canada". Given that the house is in Scotland I guess only
the Admiralty would have been sourcing wood floors from Canada in 1941 - or
of course the floor may have been installed at a later date, but then why
import flooring when the whole surrounding countryside is stocked with
forest?

Anyway, my question is: I need to repair and replace some of the less
sightly access holes etc that have been cut in the floor over the years -
can anyone offer me any advice on what kind of wood it is likely to be (is
the Red Deer brand well known in Canada? Does it derive from Red Deer
Alberta?) - or how best to go about seeking a source for matching the wood
to effect my repair/replaceement.

As I said, a longshot I think - but any assistance gratefully received.

Cheers,

Alasdair Bovaird

(Remove XNOXSPAMX for genuine e-mail reply)

Hi Alasdair,

I know this was posted back in 2002, another long shot. But I have some of this wood, Beverley UK. It was taken up from an old squash court. I was doing research to find out what type of wood it is? Did you ever find out and are you still looking for any replacement pieces?

I might be able to help you if you are.

Best regards,

Matt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, 13 November 2014 13:05:26 UTC, wrote:
[...]

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=u...g%20co&f=false
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:05:26 AM UTC-6, wrote:

I know this was posted back in 2002, another long shot. ....

Yeah, that red deer might be turning gray, by now.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Matt
Another longshot but I've just taken up the carpet to find this flooring which would look great if re-sanded and sealed. Trouble is there is a big gap where a wall once stood. Have you still got any available? If so, I may be interested. I'm down in Surrey.
Neil
Posted to rec.woodworking

Do u still have the red dear brand wood?

Cheers
Matt

Posted to rec.woodworking

Does anyone have any of this muskoka red deer flooring. I also live in Scotland Uk and need two square meter to repair an existing floor.would appreciate any advice
Posted to rec.woodworking

Its maple! I have a bunch spare
Posted to rec.woodworking

HI. Im looking for some of the exact same flooring as above. My property is in Northumberland, house built in circa 1915-1920. I have emailed the company mentioned above. My whole downstairs flooring is from this timber, I require a patch job being done after some bi fold doors have been fitted. Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Did you locate any flooring? Im trying to find some too. Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 3:59:38 PM UTC, wrote:
Did you locate any flooring? Im trying to find some too. Thanks

I have just lifted a Muskoka Red Deer floor, maple I think, about 30 years old. A very sad decision, but I wanted to cure a damp problem below. Each board is about 2 m long, 58 mm wide and 21 mm thick. There are a lot of nails in them and the boards are not all intact, but there are lots of them, approx 50 m2. Anyone interested?

Henry Webb
Aberdeen