Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Should I lay folil between the old wooden floor and the new floor.

We're about to have a new floor fitted on the ground floor of our
house. I recently removed the floor covering of linoleum and chipboard
to reveal the original wooden floorboards. The new floor will be laid
on top of the old flooring but should we put either brown paper or foil
in between? The new floor will be oak 25mm thick, 20cm wide and lengths
of 4.5 mtr. Any other tips you could offer? house has a space of 0.5
mtr below the floor has adequate ventilation and dry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

kenny wrote:
We're about to have a new floor fitted on the ground floor of our
house. I recently removed the floor covering of linoleum and chipboard
to reveal the original wooden floorboards. The new floor will be laid
on top of the old flooring but should we put either brown paper or foil
in between? The new floor will be oak 25mm thick, 20cm wide and lengths
of 4.5 mtr. Any other tips you could offer? house has a space of 0.5
mtr below the floor has adequate ventilation and dry.

The ground in the crawl space should be covered with a plastic vapor
barrier. Either rosin paper of building felt (aka tar paper, building
paper) is standard. Foil would furnish no additional benefit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6 Nov 2006 05:22:20 -0800, "kenny" wrote:

to reveal the original wooden floorboards. The new floor will be laid
on top of the old flooring but should we put either brown paper or foil
in between? The new floor will be oak 25mm thick, 20cm wide and lengths
of 4.5 mtr. Any other tips you could offer? house has a space of 0.5
mtr below the floor has adequate ventilation and dry.

When the flooring guys install solid wood floors here, they always use
felt (tar paper) between the sub-floor and the new wood floor. This
will help with squeaks and probably any moisture from below although
here, heated basements are the norm.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Mon, Nov 6, 2006, 6:06am (EST-3) (RicodJour)
doth sayeth:
snip Foil would furnish no additional benefit.

Oh, I don't know about that. If you wear foil caps you'd
probably think foil essential.

JOAT
If you're not making a rocket, it ain't rocket science.