Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What do do with large twisted cherry tree trunk?

I just downed the large old cherry tree that has been competing with
my house for space for the last decade or more. A friend took most of
it for firewood and found it was really twisty - could hardly split 16
inch lengths with hydraulic splitter. All that's left is the 2 bottom
chunks of the trunk - over 2 feet in diameter at the ground -2 chunks
about 3 feet long that are really 2 intertwined trunks - should have
some REALLY interesting grain patterns.

Any good ideas how to make use of it??
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 29 Sep 2014 03:23:29 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

wrote in news:98gh2ahg656cgacsk8pjah7ds49snrn4dl@
4ax.com:

I just downed the large old cherry tree that has been competing with
my house for space for the last decade or more. A friend took most of
it for firewood and found it was really twisty - could hardly split 16
inch lengths with hydraulic splitter. All that's left is the 2 bottom
chunks of the trunk - over 2 feet in diameter at the ground -2 chunks
about 3 feet long that are really 2 intertwined trunks - should have
some REALLY interesting grain patterns.

Any good ideas how to make use of it??

That sounds like the kind of wood turners can make use of. It might be
useful as an accent piece, for example a contrasting pull on desk
drawers.

A planter would be tolerant of twisty moving wood. Hollow out, fill with
dirt and drop in 5 magic bean seeds. (Or a couple dozen ordinary ones
:-)).

Puckdropper

Well, I put it on Kijiji and got a bite within the hour. Got 2 strong
guys and a pickup truck coming to take it away tomorrow afternoon.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 10:29:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I just checked Kijiji. I'd never heard of it before. It must be new to our area because there's was nothing when I put in the search word "woodworking." On Craigslist, there are many listings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 07:58:18 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

[...]

And no craigslist around here. Kijiji is, I believe, owned by Ebay
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

you might want to save some to use in your BBQ, cherry is
great for beef, specially burgers

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 18:19:12 -0500, "ChairMan"

wrote:
[...]

I've got lots of small stuff saved for that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

As quite often happens, the dead-beat didn't show. I've still got
the wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, September 29, 2014 7:14:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:

As quite often happens, the dead-beat didn't show. I've still got
the wood.

Cut some slabs and make some end tables. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

As Puck says, make a planter, but rather than filled with dirt, put a potted plant (with bottom dish) in it. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

If you can conveniently get the rootball, you'd probably have some nice burled/figured wood. A few roots should make for some nice mallets, also.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 18:22:46 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Monday, September 29, 2014 7:14:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:

As quite often happens, the dead-beat didn't show. I've still got
the wood.

Cut some slabs and make some end tables. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

As Puck says, make a planter, but rather than filled with dirt, put a potted plant (with bottom dish) in it. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

If you can conveniently get the rootball, you'd probably have some nice burled/figured wood. A few roots should make for some nice mallets, also.

Sonny

The root is the next project - or should I say the stump. Over 2 feet
in diameter.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I just downed the large old cherry tree that has been competing with
my house for space for the last decade or more. A friend took most of
it for firewood and found it was really twisty - could hardly split 16
inch lengths with hydraulic splitter. All that's left is the 2 bottom
chunks of the trunk - over 2 feet in diameter at the ground -2 chunks
about 3 feet long that are really 2 intertwined trunks - should have
some REALLY interesting grain patterns.

Any good ideas how to make use of it??

Hi Clare -- I just sent an email to a few locals -
- hope someone can make use of your cherrywood.
... turners .. woodworking clubs .. whatever ..
John T.