JustDave

Default Ferns on palm tree trunk

Are the ferns growing on the trunk of my palm tree hurting the tree?
Helping?

Greg

It depends on the fern. Most are harmless to the tree.
dadiOH

JustDave wrote:
Are the ferns growing on the trunk of my palm tree hurting the tree?
Helping?

No.

--=20
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

PaPaPeng

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:10:47 GMT, "JustDave"
wrote:

Are the ferns growing on the trunk of my palm tree hurting the tree?
Helping?

Ferns are epiphytes that use the palm tree or any other tree to park
themsleves. Like orchids they draw their nourishment from the blown
detritis that get trapped in their root crevices. They don't draw any
nourishment from the host tree and are harmless to their host. I
think the relationship and the appearance of a fern growing on a tree
is beautiful.

Norminn

JustDave wrote:
Are the ferns growing on the trunk of my palm tree hurting the tree?
Helping?

You probably have a Resurrection Fern, so named because it dries up in
dry weather and greens again when it rains. An epiphyte, not a
parasite. Some "air plants", like Spanish Moss, are rumored to damage
trees but they do not. They grow more densely in trees with thinner
foliage, a possible sign the tree is already weakened. Some cool stuff
growing here )

http://www.floridagardener.com/FLNat...ectionFern.htm

repairing a tree with hole in it Danny Home Repair 8 October 10th 04 02:01 PM
sycamore tree trunk - what to do bob Woodworking 2 September 7th 04 07:36 AM
palm tree wood?? Wizard Woodturning 6 August 12th 04 11:25 AM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM