Posted to rec.woodworking

Default craftsman excalibur 8" dado ???

Great information and opinions here, unfortunately nearly every posting is referring to another blade. The Craftsman Excalibur is not a wobble blade, its a stacked dado.

Posted to rec.woodworking

OFWW wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:33:11 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 6/27/2014 12:07 AM, wrote:
Great information and opinions here, unfortunately nearly every posting
is referring to another blade. The Craftsman Excalibur is not a wobble
blade, its a stacked dado.

No telling how old this post is but FWIW, the Craftsman Excalibur IS a
Wobble Blade.

http://www.searsoutlet.com/Excalibur...88&mode=seeAll

If I am not mistaken that is a dual blade designed to open like a
"V" adjustable to your width. Good old Norm used the same type of
Dado blade in a 10" size. I've been looking for on for years. It
appeared to make clean cuts.

It was my understanding that a single blade set off camber was a
wobble blade.

Yes a single blade set is a wobble dado blade. A two blade set like the
Excalibur still wobbles, just about half as much. Regardless of how many
blades if the flat side of the blade is not perpendicular to the arbor
shaft it is going to wobble. Whether this blade makes clean cuts or not
will depend on your definition of clean. Because this blade and all other
wobble blades exaggerate the wobble as the blade is adjusted to cut wider,
the wider cuts will result in a more rounded, deeper at the center, not
flat, bottom. Basically the blade or blades cut deepest in the center of
the cut, as they wobble out to the sides of the cut the cut is shallower
forming the rounded bottom.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 08:24:28 -0500, Leon wrote:
Yes a single blade set is a wobble dado blade. A two blade set like the
Excalibur still wobbles, just about half as much. Regardless of how many
blades if the flat side of the blade is not perpendicular to the arbor
shaft it is going to wobble.

I'd add that a wobble dado blade has noticeably increased vibration
and sound over a regular table saw blade ~ at least they have done so
in my experience.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/27/2014 10:31 PM, OFWW wrote:

If I am not mistaken that is a dual blade designed to open like a
"V" adjustable to your width. Good old Norm used the same type of
Dado blade in a 10" size. I've been looking for on for years. It
appeared to make clean cuts.

It was my understanding that a single blade set off camber was a
wobble blade.

I have the 10" adjustable (twin blade) Excalibur. I'd consider it a
wobbler. The dado bottoms it creates are not flat, but curved, so glued
joints are weaker and it leaves a gap if the ends of the dado are
exposed. It is nearly impossible to set a repeatable (or precise) width,
as it changes with the tightness of the arbor nut. I'd suggest you
quit looking for one and get a real stacked dado set.