Ron

Default Freud SD308 Dado on a craftsman table saw

I just bought a used Freud 8" 'safety dado' set (still in the mail) and was
wondering
if there is anything I'll need to do to use it on my crapsman 10" table saw.

I realize the saw is underpowered, that's why I normally use a thin-kerf
blade.
I'd make several passes if needed, raising the blade each time.

However, will this blade even fit on the arbor. I've heard of such problems
with other
dado blade/ saw combinations. The saw did come with an insert for dado
blades, just
hope I can use it.

Even if it doesn't fit, it was a great deal for $75 (I think) and just
another reason to get
a real table saw. After the planer...

ThankX,
Ron

sam

I just bought a used Freud 8" 'safety dado' set (still in the mail) and

was
wondering
if there is anything I'll need to do to use it on my crapsman 10" table

saw.

I realize the saw is underpowered, that's why I normally use a thin-kerf
blade.
I'd make several passes if needed, raising the blade each time.

However, will this blade even fit on the arbor. I've heard of such

problems
with other
dado blade/ saw combinations. The saw did come with an insert for dado
blades, just
hope I can use it.

You'll need to get the dado insert to replace the standard one. It's the
removable plate that fits down over the the blade on top, usually secured
with a screw from the top. One of the nice things about Craftsman is that
they back their equipment with all the parts you'll ever need. Just locate
a Sears parts center near you and give them the model number of the table
saw. They should be able to find the add-on part number to order if you
describe it to them.

Its possible that the model you have doesn't have the right size arbor and
so will not have a dado/molding insert available.

I use a stacked dado head (Delta brand) on my craftsman with a 1hp motor.
Works great, but the only problem I've seen is that the arbor is not quite
long enough to accommodate the full stack of blades (safely), so I'm limited
to about a 5/8" - 3/4" wide dado.

SuperSpaz

If it's one of the Craftsman saws with the direct drive motor, you may find
that not only will you need to make multiple shallow passes, but that the
arbor is not long enough to use the full width that the dado set is capable
of.

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

Ron

ThankX All,

"sam" wrote in message

[...]

I do have the dado insert, not a problem there.

Its possible that the model you have doesn't have the right size arbor and
so will not have a dado/molding insert available.

I use a stacked dado head (Delta brand) on my craftsman with a 1hp motor.
Works great, but the only problem I've seen is that the arbor is not quite
long enough to accommodate the full stack of blades (safely), so I'm

limited
to about a 5/8" - 3/4" wide dado.

3/4" should suffice for most cases for me.

My biggest concern is it just fitting on the arbor.

Robert Galloway

You'll need to get the dado insert to replace the standard one. It's the
removable plate that fits down over the the blade on top, usually secured
with a screw from the top. One of the nice things about Craftsman is that
they back their equipment with all the parts you'll ever need. Just locate
a Sears parts center near you and give them the model number of the table
saw. They should be able to find the add-on part number to order if you
describe it to them.

I've never "got" an insert for my table saw. I make zero clearance
inserts for every device. I'd suggest that this is a quick, simple
policy that you consider. A piece of wood that fits the cutout in your
table saw top. ready to go for whatever you buy. I have the dado set,
regular saw blade and moulder head. Who knows what I'll find next.
Make an insert for whatever you buy. Its a trivial exercise to make a
zero clearance insert..

bob g.

Its possible that the model you have doesn't have the right size arbor and
so will not have a dado/molding insert available.

I use a stacked dado head (Delta brand) on my craftsman with a 1hp motor.
Works great, but the only problem I've seen is that the arbor is not quite
long enough to accommodate the full stack of blades (safely), so I'm limited
to about a 5/8" - 3/4" wide dado.

SuperSpaz

Making zero clearance inserts is great, if it's feasible for a particular
machine. My Craftsman bench tablesaw (that is collecting dust) was a
nightmare, making the insert took forever, routing out relief areas for
bosses etc.

My 60's era Craftsman Tablesaw is quite nice for making zero clearance
inserts, it's just an oval ~3/16" thick.

"Robert Galloway" wrote in message

[...]

Mark

Ron wrote:

I just bought a used Freud 8" 'safety dado' set (still in the mail) and was
wondering
if there is anything I'll need to do to use it on my crapsman 10" table saw.

Crapsman .... What a crock of ****.

Don't hate the tool because that's all the better you can afford, or if it's all
the better you need.

Or are you sucking tool snob dick?

Anyhow,

I have a 20 year +- old Craftsman as a dedicated dado machine. It will slot 3/4
x 3/4 in pine just fine. No, it won't run 100 feet in a minute. But then I
wouldn't expect it to.

Make your own zero clearance insert, it's not that hard.

I straightened and squared a 2x4 and attached it to the fence. Works tits as a
rabbiter.

Crapsman? Stuff it.

In case your wondering, my other saw is a Rockwell.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice
there is.

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens, A.K.A.
Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the suspense.
(Gaz, r.moto)
LRod

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:59:47 GMT, Mark
wrote:

Crapsman .... What a crock of ****.

Don't hate the tool because that's all the better you can afford, or if it's all
the better you need.

Or are you sucking tool snob ****?

Anyhow,

I have a 20 year +- old Craftsman as a dedicated dado machine. It will slot 3/4
x 3/4 in pine just fine. No, it won't run 100 feet in a minute. But then I
wouldn't expect it to.

Make your own zero clearance insert, it's not that hard.

I straightened and squared a 2x4 and attached it to the fence. Works tits as a
rabbiter.

Crapsman? Stuff it.

In case your wondering, my other saw is a Rockwell.

Hey! We don't appreciate language like that around here. If you can't
find a way to express yourself in non-offensive terms, please conduct
your business on rec.woodworking.all-ages.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net