Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Google+

I'm new to the Google+ groups, but a little while ago I posted one or
two comments (representing about 45 minutes of thinking), intended to be
constructive, about a drawing/painting that was titled "Comments
please". Then I noticed that my comments were gone, and I posted "Did
you delete my comments?" Then the person's work was not visible to me
(so I suppose they blocked me). Me, Bill!!! : ) It reminds me of
the "mommification" thread.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 May 2014 17:45:46 -0400, Bill
wrote:

I'm new to the Google+ groups, but a little while ago I posted one or
two comments (representing about 45 minutes of thinking), intended to be
constructive, about a drawing/painting that was titled "Comments
please". Then I noticed that my comments were gone, and I posted "Did
you delete my comments?" Then the person's work was not visible to me
(so I suppose they blocked me). Me, Bill!!! : ) It reminds me of
the "mommification" thread.

If your post requires more than 60 seconds of thought, expect to have
it dropped from the forum most places. If you need longer than a
minute, disconnect from the forum, do your thinking in Notepad or
Word, select and copy the text, sign back into the forum, post your
reply.

That's one reason I use Forte Agent - all reading and posting are done
on the PC and there are no timeouts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'm new to the Google+ groups, but a little while ago I posted one or
two comments (representing about 45 minutes of thinking), intended to be
constructive, about a drawing/painting that was titled "Comments
please". Then I noticed that my comments were gone, and I posted "Did
you delete my comments?" Then the person's work was not visible to me
(so I suppose they blocked me). Me, Bill!!! : ) It reminds me of
the "mommification" thread.

If your post requires more than 60 seconds of thought, expect to have
it dropped from the forum most places. If you need longer than a
minute, disconnect from the forum, do your thinking in Notepad or
Word, select and copy the text, sign back into the forum, post your
reply.

That's one reason I use Forte Agent - all reading and posting are done
on the PC and there are no timeouts.

No, it wasn't dropped. I was able to view the person's work from my
wife's account, but no longer from mine.

It really about the poster than the technology. "Comments please"--but
only one's which polish my ego.

For the amount of posting, there is very little in the way of
constructive criticism that takes place there, maybe because
it takes work, and maybe because people are afraid of offending one
another. And maybe because some folks will
delete it and block you if you cast any their way! I reminded her in my
post that her work was titled "Comments please".

Folks are quite a bit more upfront here, and we definitely have more
discussions than I have ever seen on Google+. How can
you have a discussion if you are too busy to type more than one
sentence? They even encourage this with "+1".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 May 2014 20:18:53 -0400, Bill

wrote:

[...]

Bill, GGroups have nothing to do with the Usenet. Those are often
moderated groups and some will not allow posts from new users to
go immediately online without a review. Some of those have nazi
like moderators who like to control things, some are just there
for the fun of it. Don't let it make you all paranoid. On the
Usenet most of the time posts cannot be deleted anymore.

Bill says right in the subject line that he's referring to google+,
which is google's facebook lookalike. He's not referring to google
groups, or usenet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'm new to the Google+ groups, but a little while ago I posted one or
two comments (representing about 45 minutes of thinking), intended to
be
constructive, about a drawing/painting that was titled "Comments
please". Then I noticed that my comments were gone, and I posted "Did
you delete my comments?" Then the person's work was not visible to me
(so I suppose they blocked me). Me, Bill!!! : ) It reminds me of
the "mommification" thread.

Bill says right in the subject line that he's referring to google+,
which is google's facebook lookalike. He's not referring to google
groups, or usenet.

But his opening sentence reads "Google+ groups." Maybe different tools are
being mixed up in this discussion?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I'm new to the Google+ groups, but a little while ago I posted one or
two comments (representing about 45 minutes of thinking), intended
to be
constructive, about a drawing/painting that was titled "Comments
please". Then I noticed that my comments were gone, and I posted
"Did
you delete my comments?" Then the person's work was not visible
to me
(so I suppose they blocked me). Me, Bill!!! : ) It reminds me of
the "mommification" thread.

Bill says right in the subject line that he's referring to google+,
which is google's facebook lookalike. He's not referring to google
groups, or usenet.

But his opening sentence reads "Google+ groups." Maybe different tools
are being mixed up in this discussion?

I was referring to the *Communities* in Google+. If those aren't Google
groups, then I just learned something new.

Usenet (archived by Deja-News, deja-news absorbed by Google)
Google Groups (google's public forums, superset of usenet, i.e. it
includes all usenet groups + google only discussion groups)
Google+ communities (google+ only, moderated communities)

=====

Usenet is a distributed data store (there is no single central
location managing or storing the groups - group content is replicated
across all usenet servers).

Google non-usenet Groups are stored and maintained by google only.

Google+ communities, facebook-like.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Scott Lurndal wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the clarification/history Scott. I'm glad Usenet is
distributed and hope it's stays non-proprietary.

OT Google Weatherlawyer UK diy 10 July 31st 07 11:44 AM
All Kids One from Google's Gmail Plus there Google Groups [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 22nd 07 05:28 PM
Google Group posts - tell Google about it? Chris Bacon UK diy 9 May 25th 06 03:34 PM
New Google Toy David Merrill Metalworking 4 March 27th 06 01:52 AM