Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How stupid is google.

I had reported a couple of weeks back that google was automatically
filling in my address as the wrong town.
I also reported an address that it can't find.

Got two emails back telling me that they can do nothing about it.
That there was too much conflicting info. Funny the town it thinks I am
in, does not have a road with that name, so how can there be conflicting
info.

The other one where they can't find it... get real, I was at that
address.. too much conflicting info...

Google has gotten too big, and too useless.

It's like the govt. telling someone they are dead, and them saying I'm
here, and them telling you , no your dead...
There's no one listening anymore.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

I had reported a couple of weeks back that google was automatically filling
in my address as the wrong town.
I also reported an address that it can't find.

We had trouble with Google Maps on our corporate web site... the location
shown on the map was off. It was in the right neighborhood but off by a
couple hundred yards in seemingly random directions. After much go around we
found out that there was a glitch in the software that was plotting the GPS
coordinates incorrectly. It was eventually fixed as the patches cascaded out
to all the affected servers. Since this situation presented a serious
problem for our customers the company stuck with Google until the problem
was resolved.

In one case I figured out that the address was on a very deep lot that
included a large wetland. Google showed the address in the middle of the
wetland, instead of on the street, as that was the geographic center of the
lot.

Another problem I see regularly is that house numbers do not correspond to
the lot numbers on many streets... My house is a good example of that: 45
for one and 16 for the other. Eventually the 911 clean up effort got the
physical location shown on the map to match the house number. My parents
house still shows up about 200 yards north of it's actual location due to
this problem.

Another problem is when multiple "towns" share a ZIP Code. It is not
uncommon for the first town in the database using that ZIP Code to be
returned by the query tool... The better tools give you a pick list from
which to choose the correct town when this situation exists.

It's all gotten better over time but still has a ways to go to reach 100%
reliability!

Posted to rec.woodworking

We had trouble with Google Maps on our corporate web site... the
location shown on the map was off. It was in the right neighborhood but
off by a couple hundred yards in seemingly random directions.

In one case I figured out that the address was on a very deep lot that
included a large wetland. Google showed the address in the middle of the
wetland, instead of on the street, as that was the geographic center of
the lot.

The best of paper maps showed the street and nearest intersections.
We've really come a long way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 08 May 2014 10:49:05 -0400, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Another problem is when multiple "towns" share a ZIP Code. It is not
uncommon for the first town in the database using that ZIP Code to be
returned by the query tool... The better tools give you a pick list from
which to choose the correct town when this situation exists.

I can attest to that one. Our zip code is split between two towns. The
one we live in is the second in the list :-(.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

The best of paper maps showed the street and nearest intersections. We've
really come a long way.

I've had some "interesting" experiences with paper maps over the years while
on my long distance bicycle trips... street labels switched on the map so I
ended up 10 miles out of my way at dusk. Large malls, cut off by fences,
where streets formerly ran. Bridges long closed to automobiles and then
closed to all traffic... There is no "perfect" for this stuff...

I've learned to roll with it and consult multiple sources when there is lack
of clarity: AAA maps, Adventure Cycling Association Maps, East Coast
Greenway Maps, Google Maps app, Map My Ride app, and the Apple maps on my
iPhone were all used on last summer's ride as I meandered up the coast from
FL to NY.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Well this is actually getting worse. As my house used to be in the
correct town. Now it thinks I am in a different town.

Also the HOME feature no longer works for me using chrome, or firefox.
Using the classic maps, or the new maps.

I used to be able to type home in the directions and it would pick up my
address, now HOME does not work, but if I type my address in, it changes
it to HOME.

Go figure.
Sorry it's not getting better, it's getting worse.
--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

Google has gotten too big, and too useless.

Probably in kahoots with Rustoleum too

--

dadiOH
____________________________

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
"woodchucker" wrote in message

Google has gotten too big, and too useless.

Probably in kahoots with Rustoleum too

And the democratic party...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Forgive me, but I find this bitching humorous.

Ten years ago the whole idea of looking at a computer to figure out how to
get somewhere was non-existant for the masses. Now we whine when a tiny
fraction of the information is incorrect.

--
Frank Stutzman

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2014 10:49 AM, Frank Stutzman wrote:
Forgive me, but I find this bitching humorous.

Ten years ago the whole idea of looking at a computer to figure out how to
get somewhere was non-existant for the masses. Now we whine when a tiny
fraction of the information is incorrect.

I bought my first GPS about 8 years ago. I later upgraded to a newer
model at half the price with all of Europe included. I now have it
built into my car. Just stop and think of the massive amount of
information it has available, the technology to find a groups or
satellites, how fast it can determine a route of your choosing with
certain criteria. Absolutely incredible. If it was available years
ago, Columbus would have taken a different route. Lewis and Clark would
not have needed an Indian along with them and Magellan would have sailed
through the Straights Of Garmin.

And we complain of a 200 foot location error.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
news
I bought my first GPS about 8 years ago. I later upgraded to a newer model
at half the price with all of Europe included. I now have it built into my
car. Just stop and think of the massive amount of information it has
available, the technology to find a groups or satellites, how fast it can
determine a route of your choosing with certain criteria. Absolutely
incredible. If it was available years ago, Columbus would have taken a
different route. Lewis and Clark would not have needed an Indian along
with them and Magellan would have sailed through the Straights Of Garmin.

In that scenario it is more likely that those "Explorers" would have used
Google Earth to do their exploring...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2014 11:54 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Woodpeckers came out with a lumber ruler. $59 one time item.

http://www.woodpeck.com/ottpaolinilu...id=2375 24665

Or you can get a real lumber ruler for $39..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONWAY-CLEVE...em2a3b1c 1794

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oops, should have renamed the subject... LUMBER RULER

Woodpeckers came out with a lumber ruler. $59.99 one time item.

http://www.woodpeck.com/ottpaolinilu...id=2375 24665

Or you can get a real lumber ruler for $39.99 ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONWAY-CLEVE...em2a3b1c 1794

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 May 2014 14:49:17 +0000 (UTC), Frank Stutzman
wrote:

Forgive me, but I find this bitching humorous.

Ten years ago the whole idea of looking at a computer to figure out how to
get somewhere was non-existant for the masses. Now we whine when a tiny
fraction of the information is incorrect.

I run into this all the time at work. If there is information
published, it had better be right.[*] Sometimes it's better to keep
management in the dark. ;-)
[*] Just ran into this an hour ago. I have two schematics that are
*supposed* to be the same. They aren't so after lunch I have to
figure out which one is wrong. I've been here before and the
manufacturer has published both pinouts but I don't remember which one
is right.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
Woodpeckers came out with a lumber ruler. $59.99 one time item.

http://www.woodpeck.com/ottpaolinilu...id=2375 24665

I saw that thing and even the video. I was totally lost on how it would
replace a tape measure. I still saw the need to measure the length of a
board and some way to calculate BF when the thickness was anything other
than 1".

Or you can get a real lumber ruler for $39.99 ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONWAY-CLEVE...em2a3b1c 1794

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/13/2014 12:58 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 09 May 2014 12:20:41 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

Woodpeckers came out with a lumber ruler. $59.99 one time item.

http://www.woodpeck.com/ottpaolinilu...id=2375 24665

Watched the video, still need a measuring tape although he tried
to fake it. Funny, he acted like you couldn't trust the lumber
companies for measurements except when he was too lazy to pull
out a "12 ft" board to show how to calc outside the bounds of his
scale.

So what about a common 4x4x?

Or you can get a real lumber ruler for $39.99 ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONWAY-CLEVE...em2a3b1c 1794

Or for free get an app. Here is a one for free for android.

http://www.appszoom.com/android_appl...ml#nav=related

They're available on Ipad, windows etc.

The funny thing is all the lumber yards here sell by linear foot.
Even the rough stock, not surfaced. Wierd.

I go to sawyers and a mill, they calculate by board foot.
The mill though will charge me for missing edges, the old man calculates
that as full size. Sometimes 3"... I argue, I like when he's not there
as the other guys will calc bd footage up to that point, then remeasure
that section. They understand that in order to be a board foot it has
to have wood there. The old guy figures I should pay for it even if its
not there. :-(

--
Jeff