Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood splitter.. not just another one.

Start watching from 5:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kDG_oiUjew if you want to see how it
is made start from the beginning. This thing is really quick and easy.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 2, 2014 4:51:40 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
Start watching from 5:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kDG_oiUjew if you want to see how it

is made start from the beginning. This thing is really quick and easy.

--

Jeff

That thing looks dangerous in about a thousand different ways, not to mention lung cancer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 2, 2014 4:51:40 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
Start watching from 5:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kDG_oiUjew if you want to see how it

is made start from the beginning. This thing is really quick and easy.

--

Jeff

This looks promising:

http://www.geek.com/news/physics-exp...-time-1591725/

But expensive.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2014 6:04 PM, Michael wrote:
On Friday, May 2, 2014 4:51:40 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
Start watching from 5:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kDG_oiUjew if you want to see how it

is made start from the beginning. This thing is really quick and easy.

--

Jeff

That thing looks dangerous in about a thousand different ways, not to mention lung cancer.

Actually I thought it was pretty safe, and well made.
The weight of the head is what drives this puppy.
He counterbalances it with a spring and still must use his own weight to
drive it, but very controlled.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kDG_oiUjew if you want to see how it is
made start from the beginning. This thing is really quick and easy.

Seems like a lot of effort for such small logs... most of them could be
split with an axe, don't even need a maul!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2014 6:04 PM, Michael wrote:
On Friday, May 2, 2014 4:51:40 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
Start watching from 5:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kDG_oiUjew if you want to see how it

is made start from the beginning. This thing is really quick and easy.

--

Jeff

That thing looks dangerous in about a thousand different ways, not to mention lung cancer.

I see where the operator is getting his hands close, but I don't see any
other great danger. I'd have worn gloves too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...
"woodchucker" wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kDG_oiUjew if you want to see how it is
made start from the beginning. This thing is really quick and easy.

Seems like a lot of effort for such small logs... most of them could be
split with an axe, don't even need a maul!

That did occur to me too, but it would be a blessing if your back was bad,
or rotator cuff or something. It looks like it takes very little effort to
pull down on the arm.

Two thoughts. If there was an "X" ax head, you could do a 4 way split just
as easy.
Also, the fulcrum is too high. It should be the same height as the top of
the log to be split. As it is, the maul is moving sideways as it goes
through the wood.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morgans" wrote in message ...

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...

Also, the fulcrum is too high. It should be the same height as the top of
the log to be split. As it is, the maul is moving sideways as it goes
through the wood.

Given his apparent affinity for complexity, an alternative would be a
four-link set up so that the splitting "blade" goes straight up and down
instead of swinging in an arch. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/2/2014 9:47 PM, Morgans wrote:

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in

Two thoughts. If there was an "X" ax head, you could do a 4 way split
just as easy.
Also, the fulcrum is too high. It should be the same height as the top
of the log to be split. As it is, the maul is moving sideways as it
goes through the wood.

The X would probably work on the small logs in the demo, but the really
big stuff could be tough.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 May 2014 00:36:10 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
The X would probably work on the small logs in the demo, but the really
big stuff could be tough.

It also appeared to me that the wood was very dry, didn't appear to
have any knots and was not all that dense. I would question the
efficacy of the splitter on heavier, gnarly wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:

That thing looks dangerous in about a thousand different ways, not to
mention lung cancer.

Well - it has an axe head on it so I guess that can be considered dangerous,
but I don't really see a lot of dangerous about it. What were you keying
on? The guy really built that thing.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 3, 2014 8:21:59 AM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
Michael wrote:

That thing looks dangerous in about a thousand different ways, not to

mention lung cancer.

Well - it has an axe head on it so I guess that can be considered dangerous,

but I don't really see a lot of dangerous about it. What were you keying

on? The guy really built that thing.

--

-Mike-

He's pulling the blade onto a piece that he's holding steady with his hands. Perhaps I should have said 10 reasons why it's unsafe.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/3/2014 12:20 PM, Michael wrote:

He's pulling the blade onto a piece that he's holding steady with his
hands. ...

He guides it into place but I never saw him not remove his hand before
the actual blow. I give the ok on the risk scale it's pretty low.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 May 2014 10:20:52 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

He's pulling the blade onto a piece that he's holding steady with his hands. Perhaps I should have said 10 reasons why it's unsafe.

I did notice that. He seems to be checking the hit location first,
then pulling it into place. People here probably use a similar
technique using a miter saw. I always check to see where the blade
will hit and where my hand is before I hit the switch. So far, I can
still count to ten.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:

He's pulling the blade onto a piece that he's holding steady with his
hands. Perhaps I should have said 10 reasons why it's unsafe.

I wondered if that was what was concerning you. I too, noted that but then
I realized that unless the stock moved, there really was no way it could be
dangerous to him, as the strike into the wood was very defined by the the
throw of the head. It's really no different than pushing a piece of wood
through a table saw.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2014 12:57 PM, dpb wrote:
On 5/3/2014 12:20 PM, Michael wrote:

He's pulling the blade onto a piece that he's holding steady with his
hands. ...

He guides it into place but I never saw him not remove his hand before
the actual blow. I give the ok on the risk scale it's pretty low.

--

Until the task becomes boring and routine and he gets into a rhythm and
then misses a step, the one where he moves his hand out of the way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2014 3:30 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Michael wrote:

He's pulling the blade onto a piece that he's holding steady with his
hands. Perhaps I should have said 10 reasons why it's unsafe.

I wondered if that was what was concerning you. I too, noted that but then
I realized that unless the stock moved, there really was no way it could be
dangerous to him, as the strike into the wood was very defined by the the
throw of the head. It's really no different than pushing a piece of wood
through a table saw.

Funny that you mentioned a table saw, when I watched the clip I thought
something that serves the same function as a push stick would be a good
idea there. Maybe a claw like gadget to hold the wood in place. A stick
with a spike driven through it would serve the purpose.

John

Wood splitter Steve Home Repair 18 October 30th 08 03:55 AM
Wood splitter question Steve B Home Repair 25 August 13th 06 05:09 AM
Microjig wood splitter opinion Joe Woodworking 8 June 6th 05 01:51 AM
Wood Splitter? Bubba Home Repair 7 August 18th 04 03:36 AM
Building a wood splitter cheaply Don Metalworking 3 December 14th 03 02:56 PM