Posted to rec.woodworking

Default This guy is selling a Rigid table saw with a cracked granite top.

This guy is selling a Rigid table saw with a cracked granite top, he is
throwing in a solid core door saying it would make a better table top.
Can you believe that?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4357197540.html

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
This guy is selling a Rigid table saw with a cracked granite top, he
is throwing in a solid core door saying it would make a better table
top. Can you believe that?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4357197540.html

Man - that thing got used as an anvil more than once!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
This guy is selling a Rigid table saw with a cracked granite top, he
is throwing in a solid core door saying it would make a better table
top. Can you believe that?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4357197540.html

I expect that the saw would be available separately if you would prefer
to order a la carte. : )
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:16:38 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
This guy is selling a Rigid table saw with a cracked granite top, he is throwing in a solid core door saying it would make a better table top. Can you believe that? http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4357197540.html -- Jeff

But the door is *commercial grade (sic)!

That saw took a tumble, if not benchtop abuse.
In the first pic, the switch box is bent.
In the 3rd pic, 2 legs of the stand are bent.
In the second pic of the door, the saw stand leg, on the left, is bent.

Considering his concept of the door being an appropriate fix, I wonder what "sufficient enough" factors he uses for building the projects he works on?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 7:48 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:16:38 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
This guy is selling a Rigid table saw with a cracked granite top, he is throwing in a solid core door saying it would make a better table top. Can you believe that? http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4357197540.html -- Jeff

But the door is *commercial grade (sic)!

LOL! With it being a commercial "fire" door, I suppose you can also use
it for a welding table now.

That saw took a tumble, if not benchtop abuse.
In the first pic, the switch box is bent.
In the 3rd pic, 2 legs of the stand are bent.
In the second pic of the door, the saw stand leg, on the left, is bent.

Considering his concept of the door being an appropriate fix, I wonder what "sufficient enough" factors he uses for building the projects he works on?

I suspect in his case, sufficient enough means plenty of nails and duct
tape (colored and metallic tapes for the really fancy, high end stuff).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 7:48 AM, Sonny wrote:

Considering his concept of the door being an appropriate fix, I
wonder what "sufficient enough" factors he uses for building the
projects he works on?

I suspect in his case, sufficient enough means plenty of nails and duct
tape (colored and metallic tapes for the really fancy, high end stuff).

You left out the most important, and absolutely critical, tool in the
arsenal of most "carpenters" these days:

CAULK

Without DAP there would be no new or remodeled homes, so load up on RPM
International Inc. stock in advance of the next housing boom.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2014 7:48 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:16:38 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

I suspect in his case, sufficient enough means plenty of nails and duct
tape (colored and metallic tapes for the really fancy, high end stuff).

Don't forget the Sawzall for that fine inlay work.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/26/2014 9:16 PM, woodchucker wrote:
This guy is selling a Rigid table saw with a cracked granite top, he is
throwing in a solid core door saying it would make a better table top.

A little Guh-rilla guh-lue and it'll be good as gnu...

I always was (and continue to be) a more than a little leery of granite
as an ideal material for the purpose--it is brittle albeit a good
dampener and doesn't rust.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2014 9:32 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/26/2014 9:16 PM, woodchucker wrote:
This guy is selling a Rigid table saw with a cracked granite top, he is
throwing in a solid core door saying it would make a better table top.

A little Guh-rilla guh-lue and it'll be good as gnu...

I always was (and continue to be) a more than a little leery of granite
as an ideal material for the purpose--it is brittle albeit a good
dampener and doesn't rust.

--

And it won't allow magnetic attachments.
I use a magnetic feather board at times (grip tite),

On the other hand, if I lived in a very humid area, or a very cold area,
it might be nice to not have to worry about the top rusting.

But I would really miss the magnetic top.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2014 9:47 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/28/2014 9:32 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/26/2014 9:16 PM, woodchucker wrote:
This guy is selling a Rigid table saw with a cracked granite top, he is
throwing in a solid core door saying it would make a better table top.

A little Guh-rilla guh-lue and it'll be good as gnu...

I always was (and continue to be) a more than a little leery of granite
as an ideal material for the purpose--it is brittle albeit a good
dampener and doesn't rust.

--

And it won't allow magnetic attachments.
I use a magnetic feather board at times (grip tite),
And a dial indicator now for my fence. so it does eliminate that ability.

On the other hand, if I lived in a very humid area, or a very cold area,
it might be nice to not have to worry about the top rusting.

But I would really miss the magnetic top.

Not to mention having to be extra careful with it and pretty much being
locked in to using Ridgid products as upgrades. If yo need to drill
that table for a different fence system you are pretty much out of luck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

A little Guh-rilla guh-lue and it'll be good as gnu...

With some dominos or biscuits.... or DOWELS!! ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:47:32 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

On 3/28/2014 9:32 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/26/2014 9:16 PM, woodchucker wrote:
This guy is selling a Rigid table saw with a cracked granite top, he is
throwing in a solid core door saying it would make a better table top.

A little Guh-rilla guh-lue and it'll be good as gnu...

I always was (and continue to be) a more than a little leery of granite
as an ideal material for the purpose--it is brittle albeit a good
dampener and doesn't rust.

--

And it won't allow magnetic attachments.
I use a magnetic feather board at times (grip tite),
And a dial indicator now for my fence. so it does eliminate that ability.

You can use the miter slot for the dial indicator. But you're right,
the magnetic surface would be a loss.

On the other hand, if I lived in a very humid area, or a very cold area,
it might be nice to not have to worry about the top rusting.

I don't have a lot of trouble with rust, as long as proper precautions
are taken.

But I would really miss the magnetic top.

Yes and I'd rather not chip the top, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message
This guy is selling a Rigid table saw with a cracked granite top, he is
throwing in a solid core door saying it would make a better table top. Can
you believe that?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4357197540.html

--
Jeff

That saw has seen some serious abuse. I've got a Rigid table saw that's
been around for a long time, and seen plenty of service, not always kind
service, and I couldn't imagine breaking the table like that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:16:38 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
This guy is selling a Rigid table saw with a cracked granite top, he is

throwing in a solid core door saying it would make a better table top.

Can you believe that?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4357197540.html

Never quite understood that rock-top idea.
--

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:16:38 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
This guy is selling a Rigid table saw with a cracked granite top, he is

throwing in a solid core door saying it would make a better table top.

Can you believe that?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/4357197540.html

Never quite understood that rock-top idea.'

Wow! That's still available? I thought for sure someone would have
picked up that fire door!

--

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 11:49:53 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Wow! That's still available? I thought for sure someone would have picked up that fire door!

LOL.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message ...

Wow! That's still available? I thought for sure someone would have picked
up that fire door!

Here's a Steel City with stone top... maybe it's keeping the door at bay...

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/tls/4403189580.html