Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Black cherry lumber

I have a Black cherry tree that needs to come down, it's a large tree with a 28" diameter. I plan on doing it soon but was interested in the idea of possibly having them cut into manageable lengths (still a lot of weight, I know) and putting the raw timber on Craigslist.

Not just to recover some of the money taking it down but I hate to see it go to waste. I'd use it for firewood before giving it away.

What do you guys think? Woodturners maybe?

It's the weight that concerns me -- I may not want to mess with it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

mkr5000 wrote:
I have a Black cherry tree that needs to come down, it's a large tree with a 28" diameter. I plan on doing it soon but was interested in the idea of possibly having them cut into manageable lengths (still a lot of weight, I know) and putting the raw timber on Craigslist.

Not just to recover some of the money taking it down but I hate to see it go to waste. I'd use it for firewood before giving it away.

What do you guys think? Woodturners maybe?

It's the weight that concerns me -- I may not want to mess with it.

What part of the world are you in?

--
 GW Ross

 What the caterpillar calls 'End of
 the World', God calls a butterfly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

mkr5000 wrote in
:

I have a Black cherry tree that needs to come down, it's a large
tree with a 28" diameter. I plan on doing it soon but was
interested in the idea of possibly having them cut into
manageable lengths (still a lot of weight, I know) and putting
the raw timber on Craigslist.

Try to find someone in your area with a portable sawmill who can cut it into lumber for you.
Wood-Mizer (www.woodmizer.com) can put you in touch with owners of their mills in your area.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote in
:

mkr5000 wrote:
I have a Black cherry tree ... 28" diameter ...

What part of the world are you in?

Presumably in the eastern half of the United States, or extreme southern Canada -- that tree
doesn't grow native anywhere else.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:45:34 AM UTC-5, mkr5000 wrote:
I have a Black cherry tree that needs to come down

As others have said, mill the trunk into boards, but also cut the limb forks for turners. Search for a turner's guild in your area. A fork is desirable because it will have some figuring, more so than straight lengths. Along any straight lengths, any significant blemishes, showing on the surface, may have figured wood on the inside, also. If you are to dig up the root ball, that wood is figured.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Great info -- will check woodmizer. Obviously I'll have the tree taken down by pros, most of the tree is straight for lumber. I'll try and get somebody out here first and them have them commit and ask for lengths he wants -- 28" even a few feet would need a power lift of some sort. I'm in Indiana.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/2014 8:45 AM, mkr5000 wrote:
I have a Black cherry tree that needs to come down, it's a large tree with a 28" diameter. I plan on doing it soon but was interested in the idea of possibly having them cut into manageable lengths (still a lot of weight, I know) and putting the raw timber on Craigslist.

Not just to recover some of the money taking it down but I hate to see it go to waste. I'd use it for firewood before giving it away.

What do you guys think? Woodturners maybe?

It's the weight that concerns me -- I may not want to mess with it.

well you need to do it now, before the water starts pumping again.
your best time to cut is winter.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

mkr5000 wrote in
:

Great info -- will check woodmizer. Obviously I'll have the tree
taken down by pros, most of the tree is straight for lumber.
I'll try and get somebody out here first and them have them
commit and ask for lengths he wants -- 28" even a few feet would
need a power lift of some sort. I'm in Indiana.

If you're in the Indianapolis area, I can recommend a sawyer for you, someone who's sawn
several trees for me in the past.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:53:12 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

On 3/12/2014 8:45 AM, mkr5000 wrote:
I have a Black cherry tree that needs to come down, it's a large tree with a 28" diameter. I plan on doing it soon but was interested in the idea of possibly having them cut into manageable lengths (still a lot of weight, I know) and putting the raw timber on Craigslist.

Not just to recover some of the money taking it down but I hate to see it go to waste. I'd use it for firewood before giving it away.

What do you guys think? Woodturners maybe?

It's the weight that concerns me -- I may not want to mess with it.

well you need to do it now, before the water starts pumping again.
your best time to cut is winter.

About 56 lb per cu ft.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mkr5000" wrote in message
I have a Black cherry tree that needs to come down, it's a large tree with
a 28" diameter. I plan on doing it soon but was interested in the idea of
possibly having them cut into manageable lengths (still a lot of weight, I
know) and putting the raw timber on Craigslist.

Not just to recover some of the money taking it down but I hate to see it
go to waste. I'd use it for firewood before giving it away.

What do you guys think? Woodturners maybe?

It's the weight that concerns me -- I may not want to mess with it.

We salvaged a broken branch off a black cherry tree at my Grandfathers place
in Ohio one. It was not a huge branch, but my uncle used it to make some
curios and boxes very nice items. I have to say the dark heart it's a
unique and beautiful wood. I certainly wouldn't burn it.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:43:44 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"mkr5000" wrote in message
I have a Black cherry tree that needs to come down, it's a large tree with
a 28" diameter. I plan on doing it soon but was interested in the idea of
possibly having them cut into manageable lengths (still a lot of weight, I
know) and putting the raw timber on Craigslist.

Not just to recover some of the money taking it down but I hate to see it
go to waste. I'd use it for firewood before giving it away.

What do you guys think? Woodturners maybe?

It's the weight that concerns me -- I may not want to mess with it.

We salvaged a broken branch off a black cherry tree at my Grandfathers place
in Ohio one. It was not a huge branch, but my uncle used it to make some
curios and boxes very nice items. I have to say the dark heart it's a
unique and beautiful wood. I certainly wouldn't burn it.

---

Black Cherry is considered medium density at something like 54 lb per
cu ft. Both my brother and my partner in the airplane have woodlots
and have harvested some black cherry - Bruce Peninsula (Wiarton area)
and Huntsville/Parry Sound district. My brother has a portable band
saw mill.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Black Cherry is considered medium density at something like 54 lb
per
cu ft. Both my brother and my partner in the airplane have woodlots
and have harvested some black cherry - Bruce Peninsula (Wiarton
area)
and Huntsville/Parry Sound district. My brother has a portable band
saw mill.

How close is that to Kincardine?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 20:34:30 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Black Cherry is considered medium density at something like 54 lb
per
cu ft. Both my brother and my partner in the airplane have woodlots
and have harvested some black cherry - Bruce Peninsula (Wiarton
area)
and Huntsville/Parry Sound district. My brother has a portable band
saw mill.

How close is that to Kincardine?

Lew

My freind's place is closest - About 1 hour 25 minutes by road. About
2 hours from home (waterloo). 2 hours 35 minutes Waterloo to Wiarton.
About 3 1/2 hours to my brother's place in Huntsville district.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 20:34:30 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Black Cherry is considered medium density at something like 54 lb
per
cu ft. Both my brother and my partner in the airplane have woodlots
and have harvested some black cherry - Bruce Peninsula (Wiarton
area)
and Huntsville/Parry Sound district. My brother has a portable band
saw mill.

How close is that to Kincardine?

Lew

About 4 hours from Kincardine to Huntsville.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

How close is that to Kincardine?

Lew

My freind's place is closest - About 1 hour 25 minutes by road.
About
2 hours from home (waterloo). 2 hours 35 minutes Waterloo to
Wiarton.
About 3 1/2 hours to my brother's place in Huntsville district.

Just curious.

Kincardine is such a neat place.

They rebuilt the lighthouse back in the 70's.

When we sailed up to the North Channel/Georgian Bay,
we would plan on stopping at Kincardine on the way back.

It was about a 12-14 hour sail from Tobermory (AKA: The Tub)
to Kincardine.

Still have a T-Shirt from The Tub someplace.

Lew