Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Black cherry lumber

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:43:44 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"mkr5000" wrote in message
I have a Black cherry tree that needs to come down, it's a large tree with
a 28" diameter. I plan on doing it soon but was interested in the idea of
possibly having them cut into manageable lengths (still a lot of weight, I
know) and putting the raw timber on Craigslist.

Not just to recover some of the money taking it down but I hate to see it
go to waste. I'd use it for firewood before giving it away.

What do you guys think? Woodturners maybe?

It's the weight that concerns me -- I may not want to mess with it.

We salvaged a broken branch off a black cherry tree at my Grandfathers place
in Ohio one. It was not a huge branch, but my uncle used it to make some
curios and boxes very nice items. I have to say the dark heart it's a
unique and beautiful wood. I certainly wouldn't burn it.

---

Black Cherry is considered medium density at something like 54 lb per
cu ft. Both my brother and my partner in the airplane have woodlots
and have harvested some black cherry - Bruce Peninsula (Wiarton area)
and Huntsville/Parry Sound district. My brother has a portable band
saw mill.