leonard

Default black finish on cherry

I have a store bought cherry TV stand (wood and veneer).It has the dark
cherry finish and it has some chips and scratches on the top. Rather than
trying to match the finish I thought I might just coat the top flat black.
This is a formal piece in my living room so I would rather not paint it.Does
anyone Know if there is a stain or other coating I can use?

Len

firstjois

leonard wrote:
I have a store bought cherry TV stand (wood and veneer).It has the
dark cherry finish and it has some chips and scratches on the top.
Rather than trying to match the finish I thought I might just coat
the top flat black. This is a formal piece in my living room so I
would rather not paint it.Does anyone Know if there is a stain or
other coating I can use?

Len

Paint it flat black, use a couple of coats of black acrylic and then a
couple or 3 coats of flat varnish or as near to flat as you can get. It's
the glossy black paint that looks so wrong.

Josie

Dave in Fairfax

leonard wrote:
I have a store bought cherry TV stand (wood and veneer).It has the dark
cherry finish and it has some chips and scratches on the top. Rather than
trying to match the finish I thought I might just coat the top flat black.
This is a formal piece in my living room so I would rather not paint it.Does
anyone Know if there is a stain or other coating I can use?

Yer jokin' right? Yer not? OK, Sherwin-Williams latex Kid's Room
green, with high-gloss polyurinestain, 3-4 coats over that.

Or you could take the finish off, plane/sand out the dings and shellac
it. Your choice.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
firstjois

Dave in Fairfax wrote:
leonard wrote:
I have a store bought cherry TV stand (wood and veneer).It has the
dark cherry finish and it has some chips and scratches on the top.
Rather than trying to match the finish I thought I might just coat
the top flat black. This is a formal piece in my living room so I
would rather not paint it.Does anyone Know if there is a stain or
other coating I can use?

Yer jokin' right? Yer not? OK, Sherwin-Williams latex Kid's Room
green, with high-gloss polyurinestain, 3-4 coats over that.

Or you could take the finish off, plane/sand out the dings and
shellac it. Your choice.

Dave in Fairfax
--

If the veneer is too thin it may not take planing and sanding very well and
the green paint and polyurethane isn't such a bad idea. I'd go for a

Josie

mac davis

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 23:35:29 -0400, "leonard"
wrote:

I have a store bought cherry TV stand (wood and veneer).It has the dark
cherry finish and it has some chips and scratches on the top. Rather than
trying to match the finish I thought I might just coat the top flat black.
This is a formal piece in my living room so I would rather not paint it.Does
anyone Know if there is a stain or other coating I can use?

Len

In anticipation of future chips and scratches, you might as well just paint the
whole unit flat black.. much more time efficient...
hell, everyone paints cherry, right??
Mac
03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer
replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer
99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears

...Rather than trying to match the finish I thought I might just coat the top flat black.

I had good results using black leather dye.

Patriarch

"leonard" wrote in
:

I have a store bought cherry TV stand (wood and veneer).It has the
dark cherry finish and it has some chips and scratches on the top.
Rather than trying to match the finish I thought I might just coat the
top flat black. This is a formal piece in my living room so I would
rather not paint it.Does anyone Know if there is a stain or other
coating I can use?

This is a perfect excuse to purchase a larger TV.
leonard

already did, a small one a 45 incher