Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Reinventing the wheel?

As a novice with a limited tool complement (no TS, for one thing), I am
constantly in "puzzle" mode. "How can I ...?" I occasionally have a
flash of inspiration, after which I usually find that everyone else has
known about my "invention" for years. Or worse, that no one OUGHT to do
it that way.

Today's "discovery":

I had a bunch of "squares" out, trying to line up my miter saw for a
little better accuracy. Among those was an old plastic drafting square
(45-45-90). It gave me an idea.

After having lined up the saw as square as I could vertically and
horizontally, it occurred to me that I'd probably throw all that off if
I swung the blade to make a 45 degree mitered corner. One of the
projects I have planned will need multiple identical pieces with square
ends, plus some miters.

Here's what I did as an experiment:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57639547178715

I used the drafting square to line up a home-made clamping square at a
45 degree angle to the blade. I held it with some spring clamps. I put a
piece of 1x2 scrap against the left-hand edge of the "jig" and made a
cut. I did the same with another scrap, but against the right-hand side.

I put the two pieces together and despite the quick and dirty setup,
they fit together well. I think this has possibilities. I can already
think of ways to make a more permanent and repeatable jig.