Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The CD Shelves: Done

Simple, compared with some of the projects I've seen from you folks, but
I'm very pleased with how it came out. My wife is too, enough so that
she has requested some kitchen shelf units.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7637538534446/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2014 5:28 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Simple, compared with some of the projects I've seen from you folks, but
I'm very pleased with how it came out. My wife is too, enough so that
she has requested some kitchen shelf units.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7637538534446/

Very Nice Greg.
Good job.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
Simple, compared with some of the projects I've seen from you folks, but
I'm very pleased with how it came out. My wife is too, enough so that
she has requested some kitchen shelf units.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7637538534446/

Beautiful. Looks like a lot of work getting everything just right.

--
 GW Ross

 I'm setting my phaser on 'tickle.'

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/05/2014 04:28 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Simple, compared with some of the projects I've seen from you folks, but
I'm very pleased with how it came out. My wife is too, enough so that
she has requested some kitchen shelf units.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7637538534446/

Nice looking shelf unit.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
Simple, compared with some of the projects I've seen from you folks,
but I'm very pleased with how it came out. My wife is too, enough so
that she has requested some kitchen shelf units.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7637538534446/

Fine job Greg.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
Simple, compared with some of the projects I've seen from you folks,
but I'm very pleased with how it came out. My wife is too, enough so
that she has requested some kitchen shelf units.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7637538534446/

Nice job! I enjoyed looking at your photos. Don't forget to anchor it
to the wall if you (ever) have kids around.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
Simple, compared with some of the projects I've seen from you folks, but
I'm very pleased with how it came out. My wife is too, enough so that she
has requested some kitchen shelf units.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...72157637538534

Very nice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
Simple, compared with some of the projects I've seen from you folks, but
I'm very pleased with how it came out. My wife is too, enough so that she
has requested some kitchen shelf units.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7637538534446/

Very well done and pleasing to the eye. You did yourself proud.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2014 12:00 AM, Bill wrote:
Don't forget to anchor it to the wall if you (ever) have kids around.

Definitely. It's not very deep. I attached it to the end of an existing
wall unit:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari.../?reuploaded=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2014 7:15 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
Simple, compared with some of the projects I've seen from you folks, but
I'm very pleased with how it came out. My wife is too, enough so that
she has requested some kitchen shelf units.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7637538534446/

Beautiful. Looks like a lot of work getting everything just right.

It was a lot of work, to be sure; partly because my experience is
limited. I stop to puzzle out the next step where a more seasoned person
would have done something similar many times before. Having said that, I
was pleasantly surprised that several operations seemed to go more
easily than I had expected. I was pretty apprehensive about putting 12
shelves (and the top) in dadoes and getting it all squared up within the
working time of the glue, but that went more smoothly than I dared to
hope for.

As for getting everything "just right", I didn't. But I got enough
right, and - following advice I read here - hid the flaws as best I could.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2014 5:31 AM, Swingman wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
Simple, compared with some of the projects I've seen from you folks, but
I'm very pleased with how it came out. My wife is too, enough so that she
has requested some kitchen shelf units.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7637538534446/

Very well done and pleasing to the eye. You did yourself proud.

It has just occurred to me that the same room could use at least one
more piece of storage furniture that could be built in the same "style".
And possibly a couple of others. Hell, given enough free time it might
almost look like a "set".

Thanks for the kind words. In addition to having some new furniture -
and despite moments when I said some unkind things to the wood, the
tools and the universe in general - I think this hobby is having a
salutary effect on my mental health.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/14, 5:52 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 1/6/2014 12:00 AM, Bill wrote:
Don't forget to anchor it to the wall if you (ever) have kids around.

Definitely. It's not very deep. I attached it to the end of an existing
wall unit:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari.../?reuploaded=1

Looks great, Greg.
Now if you could just zoom in a little so we could make fun of your
music collection. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2014 12:00 AM, Bill wrote:
Don't forget to anchor it to the wall if you (ever) have kids around.

Definitely. It's not very deep. I attached it to the end of an existing
wall unit:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari.../?reuploaded=1

Looks great, Greg.
Now if you could just zoom in a little so we could make fun of your
music collection. :-p

I'm sure there are a few things in there that I might not buy again. But
I think our collection holds up pretty well. Going through the CDs to
organize them yesterday reminded me of how much (good) stuff we have yet
to convert to MP3.

We're all music fans in my house. I've been playing piano for 50 years
(in bands for over 40). My wife and daughter are excellent vocalists and
perform in community theater. That CD cabinet holds quite a variety of
stuff.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 5:28:36 PM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:
Simple, compared with some of the projects I've seen from you folks, but

I'm very pleased with how it came out. My wife is too, enough so that

she has requested some kitchen shelf units.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7637538534446/

Looks good ~and~ rugged! Did you go the BLO, shellac poly route for the finish?

RP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/6/2014 6:25 PM, RP wrote:
On Sunday, January 5, 2014 5:28:36 PM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:
Simple, compared with some of the projects I've seen from you folks, but

I'm very pleased with how it came out. My wife is too, enough so that

she has requested some kitchen shelf units.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7637538534446/

Looks good ~and~ rugged! Did you go the BLO, shellac poly route for the finish?

RP

I used BLO, gloss poly and mineral spirits. I'm pleased with the result
visually. Time will tell if it's "tough" enough; this piece shouldn't be
"handled" very much though.

As for the "ruggedness": it is quite stout indeed with 13 fixed
horizontal members (all 3/4" ply) glued into dadoes, *and* a back
screwed into all the shelves. It would hold many times the weight that
will ever be in it. I could easily have gotten away with 1/2" ply for
the shelves but I think I prefer the look of the thicker material.

In addition, I much prefer fixed shelves to movable ones. I have some
(store-bought) movable-shelf units at home, but find I never move them
after the initial assembly.

---