Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default The CD Shelves: Done

On 1/6/2014 6:25 PM, RP wrote:
On Sunday, January 5, 2014 5:28:36 PM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:
Simple, compared with some of the projects I've seen from you folks, but

I'm very pleased with how it came out. My wife is too, enough so that

she has requested some kitchen shelf units.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7637538534446/

Looks good ~and~ rugged! Did you go the BLO, shellac poly route for the finish?

RP

I used BLO, gloss poly and mineral spirits. I'm pleased with the result
visually. Time will tell if it's "tough" enough; this piece shouldn't be
"handled" very much though.

As for the "ruggedness": it is quite stout indeed with 13 fixed
horizontal members (all 3/4" ply) glued into dadoes, *and* a back
screwed into all the shelves. It would hold many times the weight that
will ever be in it. I could easily have gotten away with 1/2" ply for
the shelves but I think I prefer the look of the thicker material.

In addition, I much prefer fixed shelves to movable ones. I have some
(store-bought) movable-shelf units at home, but find I never move them
after the initial assembly.

---