Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Counter Sink Bit

I already have a couple of those Craftsman combocounter sink bits (i.e.
with a drill bit) that came with a drill bit set, but I was looking for
a decent counter sink bit by itself, for wood (and plastic). I didn't
locate any by Craftsman. From reading some reviews there appears to be
some "junk" out there. I suppose 1/2" will be fine until I need
something larger. Any last second advise on this purchase?

Thanks,
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 00:21:17 -0500, Bill
locate any by Craftsman. From reading some reviews there appears to be
some "junk" out there. I suppose 1/2" will be fine until I need
something larger. Any last second advise on this purchase?

I bought this one a few years back. Works very well.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41306,41328

Then, I bought this set so I could counter sink in tighter areas.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...80,42240,42281

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 00:21:17 -0500,
locate any by Craftsman. From reading some reviews there appears to be
some "junk" out there. I suppose 1/2" will be fine until I need
something larger. Any last second advise on this purchase?

I bought this one a few years back. Works very well.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41306,41328

Then, I bought this set so I could counter sink in tighter areas.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...80,42240,42281

The single flute bits are the best. I have one similar and several
with 6 flutes and there is no comparison.

--
 GW Ross

 I'm as confused as a baby in a
 topless bar.

Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 00:21:17 -0500,
locate any by Craftsman. From reading some reviews there appears to be
some "junk" out there. I suppose 1/2" will be fine until I need
something larger. Any last second advise on this purchase?

I bought this one a few years back. Works very well.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41306,41328

Then, I bought this set so I could counter sink in tighter areas.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...80,42240,42281

The single flute bits are the best. I have one similar and several
with 6 flutes and there is no comparison.

I was wondering about that detail. Thank you for sharing your
experience. Also thank you to the others that provided me leads to
other bits (I saved them for present and future reference!)

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 04:27:57 -0500, none wrote:

I bought this one a few years back. Works very well.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41306,41328

That'a the one I use the most. If I've only got one or two holes to do,
I've got a similar but smaller one that I keep mounted in an antique
eggbeater drill.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:

I already have a couple of those Craftsman combocounter sink bits
(i.e. with a drill bit) that came with a drill bit set, but I was
looking for a decent counter sink bit by itself, for wood (and
plastic). I didn't locate any by Craftsman. From reading some
reviews there appears to be some "junk" out there. I suppose 1/2"
will be fine until I need something larger. Any last second advise on
this purchase?

W W Grainger or McMaster Carr.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/2/2014 9:21 PM, Bill wrote:
I already have a couple of those Craftsman combocounter sink bits (i.e.
with a drill bit) that came with a drill bit set, but I was looking for
a decent counter sink bit by itself, for wood (and plastic).

Like these:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...80,42240,42281
Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
On 1/2/2014 9:21 PM, Bill wrote:
I already have a couple of those Craftsman combocounter sink bits (i.e.
with a drill bit) that came with a drill bit set, but I was looking for
a decent counter sink bit by itself, for wood (and plastic).

Like these:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...80,42240,42281

Yes Pat, that's a set I would like to get. The web site indicates they
are sold out, but I will look for them at The Woodworking Shows in 2 weeks.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Jan 2014 17:02:18 -0500, Bill
wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:
On 1/2/2014 9:21 PM, Bill wrote:
I already have a couple of those Craftsman combocounter sink bits (i.e.
with a drill bit) that came with a drill bit set, but I was looking for
a decent counter sink bit by itself, for wood (and plastic).

Like these:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...80,42240,42281

Yes Pat, that's a set I would like to get. The web site indicates they
are sold out, but I will look for them at The Woodworking Shows in 2 weeks.

Bill

I'm curious why one would want a set of these when a single bit,
similar to the one others have recommended, could do the job?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:
On 1/2/2014 9:21 PM, Bill wrote:
I already have a couple of those Craftsman combocounter sink bits (i.e.
with a drill bit) that came with a drill bit set, but I was looking for
a decent counter sink bit by itself, for wood (and plastic).
Like these:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...80,42240,42281

Yes Pat, that's a set I would like to get. The web site indicates they
are sold out, but I will look for them at The Woodworking Shows in 2 weeks.

Bill

I'm curious why one would want a set of these when a single bit,
similar to the one others have recommended, could do the job?

Because they could help create a cylindrically-shaped hole, if desired
(perhaps for use with a "plug"), rather than just a conically-shaped hole.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:
On 1/2/2014 9:21 PM, Bill wrote:
I already have a couple of those Craftsman combocounter sink bits (i.e.
with a drill bit) that came with a drill bit set, but I was looking for
a decent counter sink bit by itself, for wood (and plastic).
Like these:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...80,42240,42281
Yes Pat, that's a set I would like to get. The web site indicates they
are sold out, but I will look for them at The Woodworking Shows in 2 weeks.

Bill

I'm curious why one would want a set of these when a single bit,
similar to the one others have recommended, could do the job?

Because they could help create a cylindrically-shaped hole, if desired
(perhaps for use with a "plug"), rather than just a conically-shaped hole.

Bill

But wouldn't that require multiple plug cutters to cover the different
diameters?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Would be looking at M.A. Ford single flute.
They're self centering, up to 1", many angles, clear the chip without fanfare, but not cheap. But not a 2-eleven in progress either.
Examples = http://patwarner.com/images/tsweb4767.jpg
More on drilling tools? http://patwarner.com/drilling_tools.html