Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Touch Technology Taps

Anyone have any experience with these new touch on taps? How well do
they work, are they mostly gimmick or are they a viable technology?
What kind of life does the battery typically have? Any comments or
opinions will be appreciated.

http://www.deltafaucet.ca/smart-solu...echnology.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone have any experience with these new touch on taps? How well do
they work, are they mostly gimmick or are they a viable technology?
What kind of life does the battery typically have? Any comments or
opinions will be appreciated.

http://www.deltafaucet.ca/smart-solu...echnology.html

SFWIW, Delta didn't just crawl out from under some rock, they have
been in the housing componets business for a lot of years.

A few years ago, they bought Behr paints.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

On 12/17/2013 2:03 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

Anyone have any experience with these new touch on taps? How well do
they work, are they mostly gimmick or are they a viable technology?
What kind of life does the battery typically have? Any comments or
opinions will be appreciated.

http://www.deltafaucet.ca/smart-solu...echnology.html

SFWIW, Delta didn't just crawl out from under some rock, they have
been in the housing componets business for a lot of years.

A few years ago, they bought Behr paints.

Technically Masco.

I had not thought of the connection but it may be why Behr paints are so
much better than they used to be. The painters I knew used to disdain
them for their lack of coverage and having the appearance of always
needing one more coat.

My general advice is that if it is not sold at Home Depot, it has a
better chance of being a good product.

Jeff

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone have any experience with these new touch on taps? How well do
they work, are they mostly gimmick or are they a viable technology?
What kind of life does the battery typically have? Any comments or
opinions will be appreciated.

http://www.deltafaucet.ca/smart-solu...echnology.html

SFWIW, Delta didn't just crawl out from under some rock, they have
been in the housing componets business for a lot of years.

A few years ago, they bought Behr paints.

Technically Masco.

I had not thought of the connection but it may be why Behr paints are so
much better than they used to be. The painters I knew used to disdain
them for their lack of coverage and having the appearance of always
needing one more coat.

No kidding!. I used Behr a few times in the past is found that its
coverage was terrible and it did not adhere as good as the competition
to enamel surfaces.

That said a couple of years ago I very reluctantly bought some Behr
exterior stain and so far so good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

It's not the coverage I have a problem with. Its how thick it is. It
does not brush well, it doesn't flow. For rolling that's fine, but
cutting in is a pain with a paint that does not flow off the brush.

I use Benjamin Moore,Glidden, or Sherwin .

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I try to use Sherwin Williams for my enamels. I Have had excellent
results in years past with Sears Best Easy Living latex wall paint,
coverage over black sole marks, under my son's desk, was a single coat
solution. IIRC Sears paint is made by Sherwin Williams.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Anyone have any experience with these new touch on taps? How well do
they work, are they mostly gimmick or are they a viable technology?
What kind of life does the battery typically have? Any comments or
opinions will be appreciated.

http://www.deltafaucet.ca/smart-solu...echnology.html

I have no experience of these but my immediate thoughts are (1) totally
unnecessary and (2) just something else to go wrong*. This appears to be
fairly new on the market, do you want to be a guinea pig?
Why reinvent the wheel? Modern taps are available in a plethora of designs
with prices to suit most pockets. Old tech perhaps but they work and are
preferable to hand pumping water from a well. Yes, I did that for many years
as a child in rural UK.
Just my 2Ps worth,
Nick.
*this normally occurs on Christmas eve when a houseload of family & friends
are due to arrive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 00:29:04 -0500, wrote:

Anyone have any experience with these new touch on taps? How well do
they work, are they mostly gimmick or are they a viable technology?
What kind of life does the battery typically have? Any comments or
opinions will be appreciated.

http://www.deltafaucet.ca/smart-solu...echnology.html

I am of the mind to KISS, I prefer manual valves for water, manual
light swithes and on. YMMV the fancy toys usually cost more to fix
when they break.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/16/2013 11:29 PM, wrote:
Anyone have any experience with these new touch on taps? How well do
they work, are they mostly gimmick or are they a viable technology?
What kind of life does the battery typically have? Any comments or
opinions will be appreciated.

http://www.deltafaucet.ca/smart-solu...echnology.html

I don't doubt that it would probably be trouble free, the technology is
not really new, just used for something else. If you will recall the
touch to turn on and turn off lamps. I think this technology has been
on TOH a few years now.

No having said that, is it a gimmick? Remember the Sony Walkman? ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

wrote:

[...]

That sounds right.

I use Benjamin Moore,Glidden, or Sherwin .

Hard to argue with any of those. I'm blessed to have a Benny Moore that
gives a very good wholesale price to everyone, even if you are just
buying a gallon. They ask 3 questions: Economy, Contractor or Best?
Whatever their best is, I trust them, even if it isn't a Benny Moore.
There are lots of stores I don't feel that way! They sell a *lot* of
paint because of that.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

On 12/17/2013 1:19 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/16/2013 11:29 PM, wrote:
Anyone have any experience with these new touch on taps? How well do
they work, are they mostly gimmick or are they a viable technology?
What kind of life does the battery typically have? Any comments or
opinions will be appreciated.

http://www.deltafaucet.ca/smart-solu...echnology.html

I don't doubt that it would probably be trouble free, the technology is
not really new, just used for something else. If you will recall the
touch to turn on and turn off lamps. I think this technology has been
on TOH a few years now.

It's not the electronics but the valve that I would worry about. With
that said, I have seen touchless faucettes in restaurant/commercial
washrooms and you know that they get a lot of use.

You still need the old fashion methods to adjust flow and temperature,
so what convenience are you buying?

Jeff

No having said that, is it a gimmick? Remember the Sony Walkman? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yep, I always go for the best paint, best roller cover, and best brush.
I have brushes I have used for years. Some are getting a little ratty,
but you can't go wrong with a really good brush.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/17/2013 12:50 PM, Markem wrote:
On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 00:29:04 -0500, wrote:

Anyone have any experience with these new touch on taps? How well do
they work, are they mostly gimmick or are they a viable technology?
What kind of life does the battery typically have? Any comments or
opinions will be appreciated.

http://www.deltafaucet.ca/smart-solu...echnology.html

I am of the mind to KISS, I prefer manual valves for water, manual
light swithes and on. YMMV the fancy toys usually cost more to fix
when they break.

Mark

I have to agree, I just replaced my 5 year old Honeywell electronic
thermostat. It just stopped working.

I'm afraid my choices are more limited now, I like the multiple time
frames that I can set, but the cost is too high, and the lifetime is too
short. Any savings is clearly wiped out by the short lifespan.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

SFWIW, Delta didn't just crawl out from under some rock, they have
been in the housing componets business for a lot of years.

A few years ago, they bought Behr paints.

"j" wrote:

Technically Masco.

Thank you. I had forgotten who owned who.

Just remember Behr being acquired since they were a good customer.

Lew