Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Newsreader Needed

I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am migrating to a system that
does not support newsreaders in the email client. And it is not just me but
a number of us old farts who insist on reading these archaic newsgroups.

Any suggestions? I will pay something if necessary, but my needs are
simple. A few newsgroups accessed a few times a day. And there is not
anywhere near the volume there used to be. So demands on the computers
resources should be minimal.

I need to be able to read and reply to posts. And a bozo filter would be
nice. Some capability to save some posts would be nice as well. That is
all I really need. Any suggestions?

The new system is a win 7 64 bit system. The email client is in office
2007, specifically outlook 2007. You used to be able to read UseNet
newsgroups in Outlook 2007, but Microsoft have removed anything that does
not use their own servers servers for newsgroups.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:56:37 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am migrating to a system
that does not support newsreaders in the email client. And it is not
just me but a number of us old farts who insist on reading these archaic
newsgroups.

See if Free Agent (or Agent) is still around. I used it for years under
Windows. Now that I'm using Linux, I use Pan for a newsreader because
it's a lot like Agent.

Other than that, just Google.

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 17:37:03 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:56:37 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am migrating to a system
that does not support newsreaders in the email client. And it is not
just me but a number of us old farts who insist on reading these archaic
newsgroups.

See if Free Agent (or Agent) is still around. I used it for years under
Windows. Now that I'm using Linux, I use Pan for a newsreader because
it's a lot like Agent.

+1 for Agent. Gravity had some really nice features but it hasn't
been maintained in a decade.

Other than that, just Google.

NO! NOT THAT!!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2013 11:56 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Thunderbird available on all systems.

check out mozilla org

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

+1
check out mozilla org

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2013 1:20 PM, Bill wrote:

Thunderbird available on all systems.

+1
check out mozilla org

I run Thunderbird Portable from a thumb drive and use it on different
computers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I use Thunderbird. There will be someone who will shortly say this is
an email program and not and newsreader, but it does a very good job for
news groups, I have been using it for about 10 years, and each version
has performed well.

You can download and read newsgroups, You can post a followup to the
newsgroup or reply to the sender. You can set filters and a host of
other things.

With the addition of Lightning, Thunderbird has become a poor man's MS
Office as you can schedule task and events. You can convert messages to
events or task, and they can be tracked. You can send invitation to
those people you wish to participate in the events. My wife and I use
the invitation function to keep each other informed of what we are
participating in. It is great for keeping track of a retiree social
life and it is all free.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:
[...]

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30
day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it
about useless for newsgroups.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30
day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it about
useless for newsgroups.

Yep, Outlook Express worked just fine for me too. As is Microsoft's custom,
if something works well, the have to "improve" it to the point of
uselessness. I window live on one win 7 machine. It is useless. It
freezes and crashes constantly. And I can't even get this program any more.

The Outlook 2007 in the office package is very nice. It is like outlook
express on steroids with a lot of other tools in there as well. It is
almost like the old outlook express, only better.

I really don't want to go to thunderbird email client. They are no longer
improving that program and I already have a good email client. It is just
the newsreader I need. I came across a couple newsreader add ins to outlook
2007. But almost all of them no longer work because Microsoft won't let
anybody interface with the program. So called "security enhancements".
Also the only surviving add in apparently really bogs down the machine.

Which is why I need a dedicated newsreader. I will look at Forte Agent. I
will figure something out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

[...]

Can understand wanting a dedicated newsreader but Thunderbird really
does a good job with usenet and updates are still being done to it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2013 2:24 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
I really don't want to go to thunderbird email client. They are no
longer improving that program

The following version of Thunderbird are currently in the cue for
release. Thunderbird 27 will be released tomorrow. TB 28 some time
in late January or early February, TB 29 some time in the spring.

From https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases

Thunderbird 27
Currently in BETA channel
Moves to RELEASED on Week of December 10, 2013

Thunderbird 28
Currently in EARLYBIRD channel
Moves to BETA on Week of December 10, 2013

Thunderbird 29
Currently in DAILY channel
Moves to EARLYBIRD on Week of December 10, 2013

Hardly to quote "They are no longer improving that program"

Posted to rec.woodworking

b.com
On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

[...]

If you want to use Outlook (or Outlook Express) on your new machine you can
easily do so by setting up a virtual machine and installing the appropriate
OS and program(s) on it. Virtual Box is easy to use and works well.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2013 1:17 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30
day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it
about useless for newsgroups.

Actually Outlook Express is no longer available after XP, IIRC.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30
day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it
about useless for newsgroups.

Actually Outlook Express is no longer available after XP, IIRC.

Thanks for reminding me why I switched. I couldn't put my finger on
it. That was the reason.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30
day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it
about useless for newsgroups.

Actually Outlook Express is no longer available after XP, IIRC.

Essentially the same, it is now called Live Mail.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in
listening to those who think they have something better. I download
all my messages from a single news server, so I have no need for
further functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a
30 day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it
about useless for newsgroups.

I still use it just because I have it. I don't have any problems with
newsgroups - what kind of problems did you find?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2013 5:31 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in
listening to those who think they have something better. I download
all my messages from a single news server, so I have no need for
further functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a
30 day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it
about useless for newsgroups.

I still use it just because I have it. I don't have any problems with
newsgroups - what kind of problems did you find?

Probably what he meant to say is the OLE was good until they replaced it
with Live Mail. OLE was always good for news groups, but it is no
longer available on post XP OS's.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:17:07 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30
day trial.

I use Agent 7 and it does everything I would want it to do which
includes top notch support if there's a problem. It's up to version
7.2 now for $29.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it
making it about useless for newsgroups.

I've used Outlook Express from Win 95a, Win 95b, Win 98 and WinXP. I still
use it with Win8 in an XP virtual machine. I am unaware of any changes that
made it useless for news groups. What might those changes be?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it
making it about useless for newsgroups.

I've used Outlook Express from Win 95a, Win 95b, Win 98 and WinXP. I
still use it with Win8 in an XP virtual machine. I am unaware of any
changes that made it useless for news groups. What might those
changes be?

That's been my experience as well. The only thing that I once thought I
wanted - which was not supported by OE was support for yEnc. I tried a few
different readers that supported yEnc, but always just came back to OE and
said the hell with yEnc. Somehow, I seem to have survived OE"s inability to
deal with yEnc.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2013 7:25 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it
making it about useless for newsgroups.

I've used Outlook Express from Win 95a, Win 95b, Win 98 and WinXP. I still
use it with Win8 in an XP virtual machine. I am unaware of any changes that
made it useless for news groups. What might those changes be?

OLE is no longer available on Win 7 and 8. Those are the changes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2013 8:25 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it
making it about useless for newsgroups.

I've used Outlook Express from Win 95a, Win 95b, Win 98 and WinXP. I still
use it with Win8 in an XP virtual machine. I am unaware of any changes that
made it useless for news groups. What might those changes be?

It evolved into Live Mail. It will not put markers (such as or in
front of quoted text. It is OK for most email needs though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill writes:
Keith Nuttle wrote:

With the addition of Lightning, Thunderbird has become a poor man's MS
Office as you can schedule task and events. You can convert messages
to events or task, and they can be tracked. You can send invitation
to those people you wish to participate in the events. My wife and I
use the invitation function to keep each other informed of what we are
participating in. It is great for keeping track of a retiree social
life and it is all free.

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

It really depends on what you want in a newsreader. I need something
that will tunnel nicely over ssh, which precludes most GUI-heavy newsreaders
like Pan, Thunderbird, Forte, et. al.

I've been using xrn since 1989, and it's comfortable and fits all my needs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested
in listening to those who think they have something
better. I download all my messages from a single news
server, so I have no need for further functionality in
that area. Anything else?

"Something better" is subjective but personally I don't care for Thunderbird
(or predecessors or derivitives).

When I got a laptop with Win 8 to augment my Win XP PC I spent considerable
time seraching for and trying various email clients that would also do news.
I did that because the semi-built in ones in Win 8 are a disaster IMO. The
only two I found that I liked were Sylpheed and Claws. The latter grew out
of the former so they are very similar.

I found both of them preferable to Thunderbird but wound up with neither
because I like to use html for mail and neither write it. I set up a
virtual machine with Virtual Box, installed XP on it and continue to use
Outlook Express.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
I use Thunderbird.

Since we are talking about Thunderbird, etc. You may have noticed that
sometimes the words of my text run together. That's because (in my
preferences) I "edit in HTML" (which permits me to make the text large
enough to see it well).

To avoid the problem of the words running together,
I usually cut all of my text, copy to WordPad, and Paste back into the
editor in Thunderbird--and that works. Except, when I forget to do
that, some of the words run together when they are uploaded to the
newsgroup server as text. Anyone else doing this in
Thunderbird/Seamonkey (have a better solution?)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, December 9, 2013 10:56:37 AM UTC-6, Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Back in the day,I used to use Gravity. It was a little technical, but it did a lot of things well.

http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 10:29:38 -0800, Michael wrote:

Back in the day,I used to use Gravity. It was a little technical, but it
did a lot of things well.

http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

Senility is a terrible thing - I touted Free Agent in a prior post on
this topic and I did use it and like it. But for some reason I switched
to Gravity for the rest of my time using Windows. I even remember trying
to find a version of it for Linux. Pan was as close as I could get.

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

I have used Seamonkey for years and it fits my needs. It is like
Thunderbird and Firefox combined in that it is a browser and a
news/email reader. I get my email through ATT and my newsgroups
through giganews.

--
 GW Ross

 I try to make everyone's day a little
 more surreal. -Calvin.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 11:56:37 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
[...]

Agent is nice, doubles as a mail program. Pay for the latest or
download a free version of older ones.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2013 10:56 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Thunderbird works for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
eb.com:

[...]

I'm still using Xnews. It was written in the days when programs did less
whizz-bang stuff, so it's quick and lightweight. It does take a little
getting used to and playing around, but will do all those things with a
minimum of fuss.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

I'm still using Xnews. It was written in the days when
programs did less whizz-bang stuff, so it's quick and
lightweight. It does take a little getting used to and
playing around, but will do all those things with a minimum
of fuss.

Puckdropper

I also still use Xnews. It's free and does exactly what you
want. It requires no installation, just copy it to a directory,
and you can save posts to refer to later. It's old and is not
being actively developed but is very stable. Nothing in NNTP has
changed anyway...

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I use 40tude dialog on windows, and Pan on linux.

Dialog supports encryption and yenc and is configurable
in every way imaginable. It also has extensive filtering
capabilities. It is complex compared to OE or thunderbird.

I have never been a fan of Thunderbird, lots of folks like it
though.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in news:52a5f64f$0
:

I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am migrating to a system that
does not support newsreaders in the email client. And it is not just me but
a number of us old farts who insist on reading these archaic newsgroups.

Any suggestions?

I've been using Xnews for several years now. Completely happy with it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net
wrote in message
eb.com
I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am
migrating to a system that does not support newsreaders
in the email client.

Get a different email client. One that also does nntp. Either Sylpheed or
Claws would do nicely, Thunderbird too. Any would also give you the benefit
of not having to use Outlook, Live Mail or Windows Live Mail.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2013 7:07 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net
wrote in message
eb.com
I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am
migrating to a system that does not support newsreaders
in the email client.

Get a different email client. One that also does nntp. Either Sylpheed or
Claws would do nicely, Thunderbird too. Any would also give you the benefit
of not having to use Outlook, Live Mail or Windows Live Mail.

But he says he needs an INDEPENDENT, DEDICATED newsreader. That lets
out Thunderbird which I also use as a newsreader and ONLY thing I use as
a mail client.

Lee, take a look at Xnews

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

It's cheap (Free)
It's simple
It needs no installation (standalone like a DOS program but NOT like a
DOS programg)

The tradeoff, if there is one, is that it while it's somewhat intuitive,
it does take some getting used to and to find all the features, you'll
have to peruse the site.

There are others that have been mentioned but this is the only
standalone I've had any experience with.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:07:33 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

Get a different email client. One that also does nntp. Either Sylpheed
or Claws would do nicely, Thunderbird too.

I don't use Thunderbird for news, just for email. But it has developed a
nasty habit of changing the font size in the middle of composing an
email. Could be peculiar to the Linux version (17.0.2) but it is an
irritant.