DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Newsreader Needed (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/365029-newsreader-needed.html)

Lee Michaels[_3_] December 9th 13 04:56 PM

Newsreader Needed

I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am migrating to a system that
does not support newsreaders in the email client. And it is not just me but
a number of us old farts who insist on reading these archaic newsgroups.

Any suggestions? I will pay something if necessary, but my needs are
simple. A few newsgroups accessed a few times a day. And there is not
anywhere near the volume there used to be. So demands on the computers
resources should be minimal.

I need to be able to read and reply to posts. And a bozo filter would be
nice. Some capability to save some posts would be nice as well. That is
all I really need. Any suggestions?

The new system is a win 7 64 bit system. The email client is in office
2007, specifically outlook 2007. You used to be able to read UseNet
newsgroups in Outlook 2007, but Microsoft have removed anything that does
not use their own servers servers for newsgroups.

Larry Blanchard December 9th 13 05:37 PM

Newsreader Needed

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:56:37 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am migrating to a system
that does not support newsreaders in the email client. And it is not
just me but a number of us old farts who insist on reading these archaic
newsgroups.

See if Free Agent (or Agent) is still around. I used it for years under
Windows. Now that I'm using Linux, I use Pan for a newsreader because
it's a lot like Agent.

Other than that, just Google.

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.

woodchucker[_3_] December 9th 13 05:39 PM

Newsreader Needed

On 12/9/2013 11:56 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Thunderbird available on all systems.

check out mozilla org

--
Jeff

Keith nuttle December 9th 13 06:15 PM

Newsreader Needed

[...]

I use Thunderbird. There will be someone who will shortly say this is
an email program and not and newsreader, but it does a very good job for
news groups, I have been using it for about 10 years, and each version
has performed well.

You can download and read newsgroups, You can post a followup to the
newsgroup or reply to the sender. You can set filters and a host of
other things.

With the addition of Lightning, Thunderbird has become a poor man's MS
Office as you can schedule task and events. You can convert messages to
events or task, and they can be tracked. You can send invitation to
those people you wish to participate in the events. My wife and I use
the invitation function to keep each other informed of what we are
participating in. It is great for keeping track of a retiree social
life and it is all free.

Bill[_47_] December 9th 13 06:20 PM

Newsreader Needed

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

+1
check out mozilla org

Bill[_47_] December 9th 13 06:23 PM

Newsreader Needed

Keith Nuttle wrote:
[...]

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

Michael[_24_] December 9th 13 06:29 PM

Newsreader Needed

On Monday, December 9, 2013 10:56:37 AM UTC-6, Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Back in the day,I used to use Gravity. It was a little technical, but it did a lot of things well.

http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

G. Ross December 9th 13 06:34 PM

Newsreader Needed

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

I have used Seamonkey for years and it fits my needs. It is like
Thunderbird and Firefox combined in that it is a browser and a
news/email reader. I get my email through ATT and my newsgroups
through giganews.

--
 GW Ross

 I try to make everyone's day a little
 more surreal. -Calvin.

Ed Pawlowski December 9th 13 07:03 PM

Newsreader Needed

On 12/9/2013 1:20 PM, Bill wrote:

Thunderbird available on all systems.

+1
check out mozilla org

I run Thunderbird Portable from a thumb drive and use it on different
computers.

Ed Pawlowski December 9th 13 07:17 PM

Newsreader Needed

On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30
day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it
about useless for newsgroups.

Lee Michaels[_3_] December 9th 13 07:24 PM

Newsreader Needed

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30
day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it about
useless for newsgroups.

Yep, Outlook Express worked just fine for me too. As is Microsoft's custom,
if something works well, the have to "improve" it to the point of
uselessness. I window live on one win 7 machine. It is useless. It
freezes and crashes constantly. And I can't even get this program any more.

The Outlook 2007 in the office package is very nice. It is like outlook
express on steroids with a lot of other tools in there as well. It is
almost like the old outlook express, only better.

I really don't want to go to thunderbird email client. They are no longer
improving that program and I already have a good email client. It is just
the newsreader I need. I came across a couple newsreader add ins to outlook
2007. But almost all of them no longer work because Microsoft won't let
anybody interface with the program. So called "security enhancements".
Also the only surviving add in apparently really bogs down the machine.

Which is why I need a dedicated newsreader. I will look at Forte Agent. I
will figure something out.

Markem[_2_] December 9th 13 07:31 PM

Newsreader Needed

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 11:56:37 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

[...]

Agent is nice, doubles as a mail program. Pay for the latest or
download a free version of older ones.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

Mark

Leon[_7_] December 9th 13 07:37 PM

Newsreader Needed

On 12/9/2013 10:56 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

Thunderbird works for me.

Puckdropper[_2_] December 9th 13 07:38 PM

Newsreader Needed

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in
eb.com:

[...]

I'm still using Xnews. It was written in the days when programs did less
whizz-bang stuff, so it's quick and lightweight. It does take a little
getting used to and playing around, but will do all those things with a
minimum of fuss.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Leon[_7_] December 9th 13 07:39 PM

Newsreader Needed

On 12/9/2013 1:17 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30
day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it
about useless for newsgroups.

Actually Outlook Express is no longer available after XP, IIRC.

Scott Lurndal December 9th 13 07:50 PM

Newsreader Needed

Bill writes:
Keith Nuttle wrote:

With the addition of Lightning, Thunderbird has become a poor man's MS
Office as you can schedule task and events. You can convert messages
to events or task, and they can be tracked. You can send invitation
to those people you wish to participate in the events. My wife and I
use the invitation function to keep each other informed of what we are
participating in. It is great for keeping track of a retiree social
life and it is all free.

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

It really depends on what you want in a newsreader. I need something
that will tunnel nicely over ssh, which precludes most GUI-heavy newsreaders
like Pan, Thunderbird, Forte, et. al.

I've been using xrn since 1989, and it's comfortable and fits all my needs.

Bill[_47_] December 9th 13 08:06 PM

Newsreader Needed

On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30
day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it
about useless for newsgroups.

Actually Outlook Express is no longer available after XP, IIRC.

Thanks for reminding me why I switched. I couldn't put my finger on
it. That was the reason.

Leon[_7_] December 9th 13 08:14 PM

Newsreader Needed

On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30
day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it
about useless for newsgroups.

Actually Outlook Express is no longer available after XP, IIRC.

Thanks for reminding me why I switched. I couldn't put my finger on
it. That was the reason.

We try to forget the bad decision of Outlook Express being dropped.

NamPhong[_2_] December 9th 13 09:59 PM

Newsreader Needed

On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

[...]

Can understand wanting a dedicated newsreader but Thunderbird really
does a good job with usenet and updates are still being done to it.

Bill[_47_] December 9th 13 10:41 PM

Newsreader Needed

On 12/9/2013 2:06 PM, Bill wrote:

Actually Outlook Express is no longer available after XP, IIRC.
Thanks for reminding me why I switched. I couldn't put my finger on
it. That was the reason.

We try to forget the bad decision of Outlook Express being dropped.

A sad day indeed.

Maybe they figured they wanted people visiting msn.com rather than using
Usenet.

Larry[_7_] December 9th 13 11:01 PM

Newsreader Needed

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

I'm still using Xnews. It was written in the days when
programs did less whizz-bang stuff, so it's quick and
lightweight. It does take a little getting used to and
playing around, but will do all those things with a minimum
of fuss.

Puckdropper

I also still use Xnews. It's free and does exactly what you
want. It requires no installation, just copy it to a directory,
and you can save posts to refer to later. It's old and is not
being actively developed but is very stable. Nothing in NNTP has
changed anyway...

Larry

Keith nuttle December 9th 13 11:01 PM

Newsreader Needed

On 12/9/2013 2:24 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
I really don't want to go to thunderbird email client. They are no
longer improving that program

The following version of Thunderbird are currently in the cue for
release. Thunderbird 27 will be released tomorrow. TB 28 some time
in late January or early February, TB 29 some time in the spring.

From https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases

Thunderbird 27
Currently in BETA channel
Moves to RELEASED on Week of December 10, 2013

Thunderbird 28
Currently in EARLYBIRD channel
Moves to BETA on Week of December 10, 2013

Thunderbird 29
Currently in DAILY channel
Moves to EARLYBIRD on Week of December 10, 2013

Hardly to quote "They are no longer improving that program"

Mike Marlow[_2_] December 9th 13 11:31 PM

Newsreader Needed

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in
listening to those who think they have something better. I download
all my messages from a single news server, so I have no need for
further functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a
30 day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it
about useless for newsgroups.

I still use it just because I have it. I don't have any problems with
newsgroups - what kind of problems did you find?

--

-Mike-

Larry Blanchard December 9th 13 11:38 PM

Newsreader Needed

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 10:29:38 -0800, Michael wrote:

Back in the day,I used to use Gravity. It was a little technical, but it
did a lot of things well.

http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

Senility is a terrible thing - I touted Free Agent in a prior post on
this topic and I did use it and like it. But for some reason I switched
to Gravity for the rest of my time using Windows. I even remember trying
to find a version of it for Linux. Pan was as close as I could get.

basilisk[_3_] December 10th 13 12:44 AM

Newsreader Needed

[...]

I use 40tude dialog on windows, and Pan on linux.

Dialog supports encryption and yenc and is configurable
in every way imaginable. It also has extensive filtering
capabilities. It is complex compared to OE or thunderbird.

I have never been a fan of Thunderbird, lots of folks like it
though.

basilisk

Larry W[_3_] December 10th 13 12:47 AM

Newsreader Needed

In article ,
Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:56:37 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am migrating to a system
that does not support newsreaders in the email client. And it is not
just me but a number of us old farts who insist on reading these archaic
newsgroups.

See if Free Agent (or Agent) is still around. I used it for years under
Windows. Now that I'm using Linux, I use Pan for a newsreader because
it's a lot like Agent.

Still using trn myself.

Me too. I stronlgly recommend to anyone interested a free unix shell
account at sdf.lonestar.org or any similar organization and try out the
original, old-fashioned way. Personally I can't imagine preferring
any other method, but admit to having been called a curmudgeon more than
once.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org

[email protected] December 10th 13 12:58 AM

Newsreader Needed

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 17:37:03 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:56:37 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am migrating to a system
that does not support newsreaders in the email client. And it is not
just me but a number of us old farts who insist on reading these archaic
newsgroups.

See if Free Agent (or Agent) is still around. I used it for years under
Windows. Now that I'm using Linux, I use Pan for a newsreader because
it's a lot like Agent.

+1 for Agent. Gravity had some really nice features but it hasn't
been maintained in a decade.

Other than that, just Google.

NO! NOT THAT!!!!!

Ed Pawlowski December 10th 13 02:16 AM

Newsreader Needed

On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening
to those who think they have something better. I download all my
messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further
functionality in that area. Anything else?

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30
day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it
about useless for newsgroups.

Actually Outlook Express is no longer available after XP, IIRC.

Essentially the same, it is now called Live Mail.

Doug Miller[_4_] December 10th 13 04:11 AM

Newsreader Needed

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in news:52a5f64f$0
:

I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am migrating to a system that
does not support newsreaders in the email client. And it is not just me but
a number of us old farts who insist on reading these archaic newsgroups.

Any suggestions?

I've been using Xnews for several years now. Completely happy with it.

[email protected] December 10th 13 12:52 PM

Newsreader Needed

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:17:07 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30
day trial.

I use Agent 7 and it does everything I would want it to do which
includes top notch support if there's a problem. It's up to version
7.2 now for $29.

dadiOH[_3_] December 10th 13 01:07 PM

Newsreader Needed

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net
wrote in message
eb.com
I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am
migrating to a system that does not support newsreaders
in the email client.

Get a different email client. One that also does nntp. Either Sylpheed or
Claws would do nicely, Thunderbird too. Any would also give you the benefit
of not having to use Outlook, Live Mail or Windows Live Mail.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH[_3_] December 10th 13 01:19 PM

Newsreader Needed

"Bill" wrote in message

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested
in listening to those who think they have something
better. I download all my messages from a single news
server, so I have no need for further functionality in
that area. Anything else?

"Something better" is subjective but personally I don't care for Thunderbird
(or predecessors or derivitives).

When I got a laptop with Win 8 to augment my Win XP PC I spent considerable
time seraching for and trying various email clients that would also do news.
I did that because the semi-built in ones in Win 8 are a disaster IMO. The
only two I found that I liked were Sylpheed and Claws. The latter grew out
of the former so they are very similar.

I found both of them preferable to Thunderbird but wound up with neither
because I like to use html for mail and neither write it. I set up a
virtual machine with Virtual Box, installed XP on it and continue to use
Outlook Express.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH[_3_] December 10th 13 01:25 PM

Newsreader Needed

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it
making it about useless for newsgroups.

I've used Outlook Express from Win 95a, Win 95b, Win 98 and WinXP. I still
use it with Win8 in an XP virtual machine. I am unaware of any changes that
made it useless for news groups. What might those changes be?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Unquestionably Confused December 10th 13 01:28 PM

Newsreader Needed

On 12/10/2013 7:07 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net
wrote in message
eb.com
I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am
migrating to a system that does not support newsreaders
in the email client.

Get a different email client. One that also does nntp. Either Sylpheed or
Claws would do nicely, Thunderbird too. Any would also give you the benefit
of not having to use Outlook, Live Mail or Windows Live Mail.

But he says he needs an INDEPENDENT, DEDICATED newsreader. That lets
out Thunderbird which I also use as a newsreader and ONLY thing I use as
a mail client.

Lee, take a look at Xnews

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

It's cheap (Free)
It's simple
It needs no installation (standalone like a DOS program but NOT like a
DOS programg)

The tradeoff, if there is one, is that it while it's somewhat intuitive,
it does take some getting used to and to find all the features, you'll
have to peruse the site.

There are others that have been mentioned but this is the only
standalone I've had any experience with.

dadiOH[_3_] December 10th 13 01:29 PM

Newsreader Needed

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net
b.com
On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

[...]

If you want to use Outlook (or Outlook Express) on your new machine you can
easily do so by setting up a virtual machine and installing the appropriate
OS and program(s) on it. Virtual Box is easy to use and works well.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Mike Marlow[_2_] December 10th 13 02:11 PM

Newsreader Needed

dadiOH wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it
making it about useless for newsgroups.

I've used Outlook Express from Win 95a, Win 95b, Win 98 and WinXP. I
still use it with Win8 in an XP virtual machine. I am unaware of any
changes that made it useless for news groups. What might those
changes be?

That's been my experience as well. The only thing that I once thought I
wanted - which was not supported by OE was support for yEnc. I tried a few
different readers that supported yEnc, but always just came back to OE and
said the hell with yEnc. Somehow, I seem to have survived OE"s inability to
deal with yEnc.

--

-Mike-

Leon[_7_] December 10th 13 02:16 PM

Newsreader Needed

From https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases

Thunderbird 27
Currently in BETA channel
Moves to RELEASED on Week of December 10, 2013

Thunderbird 28
Currently in EARLYBIRD channel
Moves to BETA on Week of December 10, 2013

Thunderbird 29
Currently in DAILY channel
Moves to EARLYBIRD on Week of December 10, 2013

Hardly to quote "They are no longer improving that program"

I use Thunderbird, like it, recommend it.

But as far as future releases go it's hard to say if they will actually
be improvements or simply the normal "security fix" or a fix for known
issues.

The latest release was simply a security fix.

Leon[_7_] December 10th 13 02:18 PM

Newsreader Needed

On 12/9/2013 2:06 PM, Bill wrote:

Actually Outlook Express is no longer available after XP, IIRC.
Thanks for reminding me why I switched. I couldn't put my finger on
it. That was the reason.

We try to forget the bad decision of Outlook Express being dropped.

A sad day indeed.

Maybe they figured they wanted people visiting msn.com rather than using
Usenet.

That and kids/programers that are not yet old enough to know that you
don't fix what ain't broke.