Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Neat clamp block idea.

I started having my wife save milk containers.
I have a ply tool to equalize the pressure on my vises when closing, but
they are usually a little off from what I need. So I started to copy the
Lee valley thing.

During a glue up last week I needed a clamp block and wax paper, but I
was short handed and just grabbed a block, and saw one of my reject
pieces of milk bottle sitting there. It had a label on it and I didn't
want to use it for the vise tool... Perfect... glue doesn't stick to
it.. it's better than wax paper in that it's not flimsy, and goes where
you put it.

I use tape on some of my blocks, and cauls.. and I also cork... but each
block has a purpose. I have a box of offcuts used for clamping pads...

But this seemed like a great solution. I plan on taking some of my
blocks and putting double stick tape on them and attaching some
cartons... It seems like a good solution.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
I started having my wife save milk containers.
I have a ply tool to equalize the pressure on my vises when closing,
but they are usually a little off from what I need. So I started to
copy the Lee valley thing.

This may make a lot of sense to Lee Valley shoppers, but somehow, I seem to
doubt it really does. What is this thing you speak of Jeff?

During a glue up last week I needed a clamp block and wax paper, but I
was short handed and just grabbed a block, and saw one of my reject
pieces of milk bottle sitting there. It had a label on it and I didn't
want to use it for the vise tool... Perfect... glue doesn't stick to
it.. it's better than wax paper in that it's not flimsy, and goes
where you put it.

Ok - you've really confused me with this one. What the hell does wax paper,
a clamp block, and a milk carton have in common? Call me stupid, but you've
completely lost me here...

I use tape on some of my blocks, and cauls.. and I also cork... but
each block has a purpose. I have a box of offcuts used for clamping
pads...

Even more confused. Tape... blocks, cork? I'm really feeling stupid here
Jeff...

But this seemed like a great solution. I plan on taking some of my
blocks and putting double stick tape on them and attaching some
cartons... It seems like a good solution.

I'm sure it is. Whatever the hell it is...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...05&cat=1,41659

During a glue up last week I needed a clamp block and wax paper, but I
was short handed and just grabbed a block, and saw one of my reject
pieces of milk bottle sitting there. It had a label on it and I didn't
want to use it for the vise tool... Perfect... glue doesn't stick to
it.. it's better than wax paper in that it's not flimsy, and goes
where you put it.

Ok - you've really confused me with this one. What the hell does wax paper,
a clamp block, and a milk carton have in common? Call me stupid, but you've
completely lost me here...

Sometimes when clamping I use wax paper so the block doesn't get glued
to the piece I am gluing. The clamp block distributes the load of the
clamp when not using the big Bessey or Cabinet masters...

I use tape on some of my blocks, and cauls.. and I also cork... but
each block has a purpose. I have a box of offcuts used for clamping
pads...

Even more confused. Tape... blocks, cork? I'm really feeling stupid here
Jeff...

Sure tape, to prevent the blocks from sticking, cork when there's no
danger, and it's soft or would get marked. Just plain wood for stuff I
don't worry about because it needs more machining.

But this seemed like a great solution. I plan on taking some of my
blocks and putting double stick tape on them and attaching some
cartons... It seems like a good solution.

I'm sure it is. Whatever the hell it is...

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...05&cat=1,41659

Ok - that at least makes a little sense to me.

Sometimes when clamping I use wax paper so the block doesn't get glued
to the piece I am gluing. The clamp block distributes the load of the
clamp when not using the big Bessey or Cabinet masters...

Sure tape, to prevent the blocks from sticking, cork when there's no
danger, and it's soft or would get marked. Just plain wood for stuff I
don't worry about because it needs more machining.

Wax paper I can understand. Cork etc. not so much...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
I started having my wife save milk containers.
I have a ply tool to equalize the pressure on my vises when closing,
but they are usually a little off from what I need. So I started to
copy the Lee valley thing.

This may make a lot of sense to Lee Valley shoppers, but somehow, I seem to
doubt it really does. What is this thing you speak of Jeff?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...05&cat=1,41659

Wow. $13.50 for something I made ages ago out of free plastic laminate
samples from Homely Despot.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
I started having my wife save milk containers.
I have a ply tool to equalize the pressure on my vises when closing,
but they are usually a little off from what I need. So I started to
copy the Lee valley thing.

This may make a lot of sense to Lee Valley shoppers, but somehow, I seem to
doubt it really does. What is this thing you speak of Jeff?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...05&cat=1,41659

Wow. $13.50 for something I made ages ago out of free plastic laminate
samples from Homely Despot.
Art

Like I said I had too but out of ply, but it's not as nice as this...
too thick... the plastic laminate tends to curl, at least my pieces do..
has your stayed flat.???

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
I started having my wife save milk containers.
I have a ply tool to equalize the pressure on my vises when closing,
but they are usually a little off from what I need. So I started to
copy the Lee valley thing.
This may make a lot of sense to Lee Valley shoppers, but somehow, I seem to
doubt it really does. What is this thing you speak of Jeff?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...05&cat=1,41659

Wow. $13.50 for something I made ages ago out of free plastic laminate
samples from Homely Despot.
Art

That's product is practically embarrassing...

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
I started having my wife save milk containers.
I have a ply tool to equalize the pressure on my vises when closing,
but they are usually a little off from what I need. So I started to
copy the Lee valley thing.

This may make a lot of sense to Lee Valley shoppers, but somehow, I seem to
doubt it really does. What is this thing you speak of Jeff?
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...05&cat=1,41659

Wow. $13.50 for something I made ages ago out of free plastic laminate
samples from Homely Despot.
Art

Like I said I had too but out of ply, but it's not as nice as this... too thick... the plastic
laminate tends to curl, at least my pieces do..
has your stayed flat.???

--
Jeff

I.'.ve had no trouble with them for 20+ years, both in dry AZ and
humid OR.
Art