Posted to rec.woodworking

Default weathered wood, thanksgiving and Bill's unisaw

Dang I stay gone a few days and Bill gets a Unisaw- Congrats.

I skipped out to Florida for Thanksgiving and all the associated
festivities that go with it.

In my traveling around I came upon this is Carrabelle, FL,
no chainsaw, no pickum up truck and no backhoe, all I left with was
pictures.

I like this sort of stuff and the pictures don't do this field
of gold justice.

http://www.woodwrangler.net/beachwood.html

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/30/2013 3:25 PM, basilisk wrote:
Dang I stay gone a few days and Bill gets a Unisaw- Congrats.

I skipped out to Florida for Thanksgiving and all the associated
festivities that go with it.

In my traveling around I came upon this is Carrabelle, FL,
no chainsaw, no pickum up truck and no backhoe, all I left with was
pictures.

I like this sort of stuff and the pictures don't do this field
of gold justice.

http://www.woodwrangler.net/beachwood.html

As someone who was raised with cypress knee lamps everywhere you looked
in S Louisiana, this makes me feel right at home.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:
Dang I stay gone a few days and Bill gets a Unisaw- Congrats.

Thanks Basilisk. Your pictures are very interesting! Evidently someone
is "protecting" the area.

Bill

I skipped out to Florida for Thanksgiving and all the associated
festivities that go with it.

In my traveling around I came upon this is Carrabelle, FL,
no chainsaw, no pickum up truck and no backhoe, all I left with was
pictures.

I like this sort of stuff and the pictures don't do this field
of gold justice.

http://www.woodwrangler.net/beachwood.html

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 15:30:54 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 11/30/2013 3:25 PM, basilisk wrote:
Dang I stay gone a few days and Bill gets a Unisaw- Congrats.

I skipped out to Florida for Thanksgiving and all the associated
festivities that go with it.

In my traveling around I came upon this is Carrabelle, FL,
no chainsaw, no pickum up truck and no backhoe, all I left with was
pictures.

I like this sort of stuff and the pictures don't do this field of gold
justice.

http://www.woodwrangler.net/beachwood.html

As someone who was raised with cypress knee lamps everywhere you looked
in S Louisiana, this makes me feel right at home.

No doubt, even in AL the cypress thing was over done,
tables with knees for legs, lamps, and clocks from slabs complete
with bondo'ed up cracks.
Invariably covered with epoxy pour on finish a half inch thick.
I even worked for a place that produced this crap, the first
piece I saw, I liked, it wore off rapidly after that.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

I refer to it as part of nature's art and prefer the works as is, no or little "enhancements". I may collect some pieces, these days, but usually just the small stuff, not the truck loads or large pieces I collected long ago.

Walking along that beach would be nice.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

I refer to it as part of nature's art and prefer the works as is, no or
little "enhancements".

There is a beautiful botanical garden, Garvan Woodland Gardens on Lake
Hamilton in Hot Springs.

Last I visited, this past summer, the misguided folks in charge had
commissioned an exhibit of gaudy, glass baubles by some pseudo "artiste"
glass blower, with more hot wind than artistic sensibilities, and populated
the entire naturally beautiful surroundings to the point that you could not
take a photo without some garishly colored colored piece of glass being in
the frame.

It was so disturbing to the usual, and natural, beauty/peace of the place
that I jokingly asked for my entry fee back, and apparently was not the
first.

I did write in their guest/comment book that was on exhibit was not "art",
but "arrogance".

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:25:10 PM UTC-6, basilisk wrote:
Dang I stay gone a few days and Bill gets a Unisaw- Congrats.
.... basilisk

Bill, seems I recall you speaking of replacing your older tablesaw. Did you ever find one? If not, there may be one to your liking in Tuscaloosa:
http://irsauctions.com/index_lots.as...tails&id=17593

Or in Eupora, MS. There's a $100 loading fee for some tools.
http://irsauctions.com/index_lots.as...tails&id=17452

BTW, are you a War Eagle or Bama fan? I don't recall your mentioning either.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:25:10 PM UTC-6, basilisk wrote:
Dang I stay gone a few days and Bill gets a Unisaw- Congrats.
.... basilisk

Bill, seems I recall you speaking of replacing your older tablesaw. Did you ever find one? If not, there may be one to your liking in Tuscaloosa:
http://irsauctions.com/index_lots.as...tails&id=17593

Or in Eupora, MS. There's a $100 loading fee for some tools.
http://irsauctions.com/index_lots.as...tails&id=17452

BTW, are you a War Eagle or Bama fan? I don't recall your mentioning either.

Sonny

In the game yesterday, I saw "The best second in football, that almost
wasn't!" - It was amazing!!! You must have watched it as well!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 18:09:24 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:25:10 PM UTC-6, basilisk wrote:
Dang I stay gone a few days and Bill gets a Unisaw- Congrats.
.... basilisk

Bill, seems I recall you speaking of replacing your older tablesaw. Did you ever find one? If not, there may be one to your liking in Tuscaloosa:
http://irsauctions.com/index_lots.as...tails&id=17593

Or in Eupora, MS. There's a $100 loading fee for some tools.
http://irsauctions.com/index_lots.as...tails&id=17452

BTW, are you a War Eagle or Bama fan? I don't recall your mentioning either.

We lived in Auburn from '08-'12, so my wife was going nuts at the end.
;-) I only watched the final quarter or so. My alma mater got beat
by Northwestern. Oh the embarrassment!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 18:09:24 -0800, Sonny wrote:

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:25:10 PM UTC-6, basilisk wrote:
Dang I stay gone a few days and Bill gets a Unisaw- Congrats.
.... basilisk

Bill, seems I recall you speaking of replacing your older tablesaw. Did
you ever find one? If not, there may be one to your liking in
Tuscaloosa:
http://irsauctions.com/index_lots.as...tails&id=17593

I haven't replaced the old delta yet, I kinda got sidetracked on a
machine tool binge, lathe (17"X84" leblond), milling machine (bridgeport
knee mill) and a 16" G&E shaper. So much big iron, so little time and
money. I am trying desperately to control myself long enough to
finish wiring my shop.

Or in Eupora, MS. There's a $100 loading fee for some tools.
http://irsauctions.com/index_lots.as...tails&id=17452

BTW, are you a War Eagle or Bama fan? I don't recall your mentioning
either.

Neither really, I'm proud for either one doing well, but don't really
keep up. I did listen to AU,UA game saturday on the radio.
I do hope that since Auburn has put Alabama out of the running they can
take the championship.

I live on US 82 about 24 miles from University of Alabama, when you
consider the population of Tuscaloosa doubles during a home game
it is a major annoyance for those of us that aren't that interested.
You kids get the hell off my grass syndrome

Sonny

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote:

BTW, are you a War Eagle or Bama fan? I don't recall your
mentioning either.

There is only ONE college football game played on the Saturday after
Thanksgiving that counts IMHO.

It's the University of Michigan vs: The Ohio State University.

Yesterday the Buckeyes hung on for a 42-41 win.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 03:05:22 GMT, basilisk
wrote:

[...]

I don't see a lot of hope for them getting into the championship. Both
OSU and Fla St are undefeated. OSU is done for the year, IIRC. I
guess Fla St could lose in the ACC championship but AU has to win
theirs, too (AU has one loss).

I live on US 82 about 24 miles from University of Alabama, when you
consider the population of Tuscaloosa doubles during a home game
it is a major annoyance for those of us that aren't that interested.
You kids get the hell off my grass syndrome

The population of Auburn increases almost three-fold (87K stadium vs.
57K population). Each university has 25K students, IIRC.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 19:09:35 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Sonny" wrote:

BTW, are you a War Eagle or Bama fan? I don't recall your
mentioning either.

There is only ONE college football game played on the Saturday after
Thanksgiving that counts IMHO.

It's the University of Michigan vs: The Ohio State University.

Yesterday the Buckeyes hung on for a 42-41 win.

It's a biggie, to be sure, but you haven't seen anything like the
Alabama football fans. It's truly an amazing thing to behold.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 21:19:44 -0500, Bill wrote:

Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:25:10 PM UTC-6, basilisk wrote:
Dang I stay gone a few days and Bill gets a Unisaw- Congrats.
.... basilisk

Bill, seems I recall you speaking of replacing your older tablesaw.
Did you ever find one? If not, there may be one to your liking in
Tuscaloosa:
http://irsauctions.com/index_lots.as...tails&id=17593

Or in Eupora, MS. There's a $100 loading fee for some tools.
http://irsauctions.com/index_lots.as...tails&id=17452

BTW, are you a War Eagle or Bama fan? I don't recall your mentioning
either.

Sonny

In the game yesterday, I saw "The best second in football, that almost
wasn't!" - It was amazing!!! You must have watched it as well!

I was in a waffle house in Dothan about daylight this morning, sitting at
a nearby table were three old gentlemen dressed in their Alabama gear
and talking about the game, in comes an old guy in Auburn regalia,
they call out for him to sit with them, he replies,"gimma a second"...

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 22:17:22 -0500, krw wrote:

[...]

Uk Oh, all that's over my head, I told you I didn't keep up.

I live on US 82 about 24 miles from University of Alabama, when you
consider the population of Tuscaloosa doubles during a home game it is a
major annoyance for those of us that aren't that interested. You kids
get the hell off my grass syndrome

The population of Auburn increases almost three-fold (87K stadium vs.
57K population). Each university has 25K students, IIRC.

Yep, Tuscaloosa has about the same population as their stadium, but
another 40k watches on TV in the parking lot, WTH.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 03:29:03 GMT, basilisk
wrote:

[...]

It's the same at Auburn. The tailgate RV park opens the Thursday
before the game and it's full of $500K RVs by nightfall. The AU
airport fills up with corporate jets the day of the game (no scheduled
airline service since it's only 70miles down I85 from the Atlanta
airport). The Alabama fans (both stripes) are simply amazing. ...and
that's in a losing year!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 8:19:44 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
In the game yesterday, I saw "The best second in football, that almost wasn't!" - It was amazing!!!

You must have watched it as well! Bill

Yep. The Iron Bowl is always a good game to watch. I was pulling for Auburn, on behalf of a good friend in Mobile. He's a Tx Aggie grad/fan, first, and was once a Bama fan, but switched allegiance after the Toomer's Corner historical trees incident.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 05:16:00 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 8:19:44 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
In the game yesterday, I saw "The best second in football, that almost wasn't!" - It was amazing!!!

You must have watched it as well! Bill

Yep. The Iron Bowl is always a good game to watch. I was pulling for Auburn, on behalf of a good friend in Mobile. He's a Tx Aggie grad/fan, first, and was once a Bama fan, but switched allegiance after the Toomer's Corner historical trees incident.

Ironically, that was done by someone living close to Auburn (though a
'Bama fan). The idiot bragged about it on a Tuscaloosa call-in sports
show. They turned him in. To the credit of the 'Bama students, they
sent a pile of $$ to try to save the trees. It didn't work and AIUI,
the trees came down this fall.