Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plan ahead

I had this great idea: Let's glue up alternating 1" thick walnut and maple board to make a block 5 inches square by about 15 inches in length. Then let's slice through to make 1 inch slices and glue them up, alternating the faces and then let's turn a couple of small boxes.

It wasn't until after the glue up that I discovered that I have nothing in the shop that will cut through a 5" thick hunk of wood on one pass. I could have tried to run it through the BS, but that would have meant finding a wider blade than the 1/4" that's on it.

So I put the whole piece on the lathe and now I have a nice large candlestick for my daughter.

Pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/11041344086/

Plan ahead!!

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

I had this great idea: Let's glue up alternating 1" thick walnut and
maple board to make a block 5 inches square by about 15 inches in
length. Then let's slice through to make 1 inch slices and glue them
up, alternating the faces and then let's turn a couple of small boxes.

It wasn't until after the glue up that I discovered that I have
nothing in the shop that will cut through a 5" thick hunk of wood on
one pass. I could have tried to run it through the BS, but that would
have meant finding a wider blade than the 1/4" that's on it.
So what happened to 2-5/8" cuts on top and bottom faces, then clean up
the cut surfaces with a planer?

Two cuts is a given with the above.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/24/2013 8:42 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I had this great idea: Let's glue up alternating 1" thick walnut and maple board to make a block 5 inches square by about 15 inches in length. Then let's slice through to make 1 inch slices and glue them up, alternating the faces and then let's turn a couple of small boxes.

It wasn't until after the glue up that I discovered that I have nothing in the shop that will cut through a 5" thick hunk of wood on one pass. I could have tried to run it through the BS, but that would have meant finding a wider blade than the 1/4" that's on it.

So I put the whole piece on the lathe and now I have a nice large candlestick for my daughter.

Pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/11041344086/

Plan ahead!!

Larry

You could'a used a parting tool and cut the chunk in to squares.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote in
:

I had this great idea: Let's glue up alternating 1" thick walnut and
maple board to make a block 5 inches square by about 15 inches in
length. Then let's slice through to make 1 inch slices and glue them
up, alternating the faces and then let's turn a couple of small boxes.

It wasn't until after the glue up that I discovered that I have
nothing in the shop that will cut through a 5" thick hunk of wood on
one pass. I could have tried to run it through the BS, but that would
have meant finding a wider blade than the 1/4" that's on it.

So I put the whole piece on the lathe and now I have a nice large
candlestick for my daughter.

Pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/11041344086/

Plan ahead!!

Larry

Why was the 1/4" blade an issue? If it's a reasonable tooth
configuration (low TPI), couldn't the lack of depth be compensated for by
both tension and feed rate?

If it's like most bandsaws (no riser block), a 93 1/2" blade should be
available locally at someplace open on Sunday. You'll probably pay more
than ordering online, but there's no shipping cost and no waiting.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/24/2013 6:42 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I had this great idea: Let's glue up alternating 1" thick walnut and maple board to make a block 5 inches square by about 15 inches in length. Then let's slice through to make 1 inch slices and glue them up, alternating the faces and then let's turn a couple of small boxes.

It wasn't until after the glue up that I discovered that I have nothing in the shop that will cut through a 5" thick hunk of wood on one pass. I could have tried to run it through the BS, but that would have meant finding a wider blade than the 1/4" that's on it.

So I put the whole piece on the lathe and now I have a nice large candlestick for my daughter.

Pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/11041344086/

Plan ahead!!

Larry

Or a recip saw with a long blade and some jointer/planer work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/25/2013 12:12 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote in
:

[...]

I suspect that after he cuts the 5" piece into shorter pieces he is
going to want to mate those fresh cut surfaces to another flat surface
of the same wood to mix up the orientation of the wood.

For that he would need parallel cuts and flat cuts.

A marginal BS is probably not going to give you flat, across 5" thick
wood, cuts and or parallel cuts. A wider blade on a marginal BS would
give better results.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/25/2013 9:56 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Yes, but a TS could cut through it in 2 cuts, and then be cleaned up
with either a handplane or sandpaper attached to a glass plate.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/25/2013 9:54 AM, jo4hn wrote:
[...]

Definetly not stable enough. A large old time saw would or a back saw..
just cut a line with a knife and follow it.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the feedback. Leon is correct ... I needed each "slice" to be perfectly flat to facilitate the subsequent glue-up. I thought about two runs through the TS, but even with a stop block I wasn't confident of a perfect cut. I have always been under the impression that running a piece under 12 inches in length thru the planer is asking for trouble and I an not real comfortable running a 5 inch piece over the jointer.

On the other side of the coin, my wife says my daughter will be thrilled with the candlestick.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/26/2013 8:08 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Leon is correct ... I needed each "slice" to be perfectly flat to facilitate the subsequent glue-up. I thought about two runs through the TS, but even with a stop block I wasn't confident of a perfect cut. I have always been under the impression that running a piece under 12 inches in length thru the planer is asking for trouble and I an not real comfortable running a 5 inch piece over the jointer.

On the other side of the coin, my wife says my daughter will be thrilled with the candlestick.

Larry

The result was great anyway.

OT Troubles ahead? harry Home Repair 9 March 24th 13 02:09 AM
Remember to plan ahead micky Home Repair 2 December 8th 11 09:31 PM
Did anyone plan ahead... Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 4 November 18th 09 12:05 AM
to stop or charge ahead Kevin Woodturning 4 April 17th 08 08:57 PM
A Sad Day Ahead Jeff P. Woodworking 45 October 5th 05 04:17 AM