Posted to rec.woodworking
Gramps' shop Gramps' shop is offline

Default Plan ahead

I had this great idea: Let's glue up alternating 1" thick walnut and maple board to make a block 5 inches square by about 15 inches in length. Then let's slice through to make 1 inch slices and glue them up, alternating the faces and then let's turn a couple of small boxes.

It wasn't until after the glue up that I discovered that I have nothing in the shop that will cut through a 5" thick hunk of wood on one pass. I could have tried to run it through the BS, but that would have meant finding a wider blade than the 1/4" that's on it.

So I put the whole piece on the lathe and now I have a nice large candlestick for my daughter.

Pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73535978@N04/11041344086/

Plan ahead!!

Larry