Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 1969 Craftsman metal table for a table saw

My father bought a 10" Craftsman table saw in in 1969, that I later
inherited. The saw works perfectly.

However the Sears support that the saw sits on is giving me a problem.
The support has a system that lets you raise the saw to provide a stable
platform when you are using the saw. At some point in the last 50 years
the one of the wheels shaft was bent. The problem is the wheels no
longer swivel.

Does any one have any suggestions on where to get the steel wheels?

I have a large garage with a lot of toys, so when not in use the saw
gets rolled to the wall.

How can I go when the wheels don't roll because of the bent shaft on the
wheel?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:
My father bought a 10" Craftsman table saw in in 1969, that I later
inherited. The saw works perfectly.

However the Sears support that the saw sits on is giving me a problem.
The support has a system that lets you raise the saw to provide a
stable platform when you are using the saw. At some point in the
last 50 years the one of the wheels shaft was bent. The problem is
the wheels no longer swivel.

Does any one have any suggestions on where to get the steel wheels?

I have a large garage with a lot of toys, so when not in use the saw
gets rolled to the wall.

How can I go when the wheels don't roll because of the bent shaft on
the wheel?

I had a Craftsman jointer with the same kind of wheels/lift and I thought it
was the absolute worst design I'd ever seen. If it were me - and I know
this really does not help you, but I'd not even waste the time trying to
find replacements.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree. If not working, take them off or drag them like they are.

The wheels were to move it from place to place. The rubber based steel
screw down feet were there to set in a level steady place.

You were supposed to take the table off the wheels before - before cutting!

I have one and mostly keep it in one area or pull it out a little more.

Martin

On 11/23/2013 8:46 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:
My father bought a 10" Craftsman table saw in in 1969, that I later
inherited. The saw works perfectly.

I think there is a misunderstanding of what I have got and the parts I
need.

This is original as purchased by my father in 1969. In the wheel
assembly on the stand, there are two levers that work the wheels on that
side. Pressing the lever lifts that side by extending a half inch metal
post that lift the wheels off of the floor. The wheel are in an iron
casting (Have not real consider the metal) with the wheels mounted in
holes in the casting. I need the caster assembly that has the wheels
that fit into those holes.

The lifting mechanism is a permanent installation and by design to allow
the saw to be moved into positioned, and then lifting the saw so it will
not move.

Dragging the saw across the floor is not an option, nor is leaving it in
a position in the middle of the floor.

I realize many of you will not realize what I am talking about as the
saw and stand is several years older that many of you :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 08:22:49 -0500, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Dragging the saw across the floor is not an option, nor is leaving it in
a position in the middle of the floor.

Keith, I bought one of those mobile bases where all you get is the 4
corners which you join with a piece of 3/4" plywood in whatever size you
need. I've got my '48 Delta saw on it and it works fine. I got mine at
Woodcraft, but others probably sell something similar.

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/24/2013 7:09 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 08:22:49 -0500, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Dragging the saw across the floor is not an option, nor is leaving it in
a position in the middle of the floor.

Keith, I bought one of those mobile bases where all you get is the 4
corners which you join with a piece of 3/4" plywood in whatever size you
need. I've got my '48 Delta saw on it and it works fine. I got mine at
Woodcraft, but others probably sell something similar.

It has been over 30 years since I inherited the saw. I don't see
replacing it with a current pressed-iron-table saws.

I have made some inquires for replacement parts, and the response was
negative.

I think it is time for a little Yankee ingenuity, as other Rube
Goldbergism.

For you youngsters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:
[...]

I believe I have the same things one my saw and 6 inch joiner. Bought the 2
about 1969. Will look at mine and see if I have any ideas on what to do.
These are great items and back savers. WW