Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stop the blade in the material?

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 19:54:29 -0500, "G. Ross"
wrote:

Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Edward A. Falk" wrote:

Hi all; I was using a sliding miter saw at a community woodshop the
other day, and one of the docents (or whatever you call them there)
stopped me and told me that for safety reasons, I should let the
blade
come to a complete stop before lifting it out of the material.

Is this standard practice? I'd never heard of stopping a power tool
with
the blade in the material before, and I'd always avoided doing it.
It's what I was taught.

Lew

That was suggested in a recent issue of FWW, as it would yield a better
cut (because the moving blade won't then contact the edge of the work on
its way back out/up). So far, I have to remind myself to wait! : )

Bill

It is easier to wait if the saw has electric brake when the trigger is
released.

Don't they all now? Even my HF SMCS has a blade brake (thought it was
a requirement). I'm really surprised that table saws don't have them.
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 21:53:16 +0000 (UTC), (Edward A.
Falk) wrote:

wrote:

Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Edward A. Falk" wrote:

That was suggested in a recent issue of FWW, as it would yield a
better
cut (because the moving blade won't then contact the edge of the work
on
its way back out/up). So far, I have to remind myself to wait! : )

Learn something new every day, it seems.

It is easier to wait if the saw has electric brake when the trigger is
released.

Don't they all now? Even my HF SMCS has a blade brake (thought it was
a requirement). I'm really surprised that table saws don't have them.

My second-hand chop saw's electric brake has been failing of late,
and even when they work, they still take several seconds.

Several seconds? The switch is probably failing.

Chop/trim saws have universal motors (with brushes) and to have them stop
fast or brake you short circuit the motor when the power is disconnected. I
can recall decades ago modifying slot cars by installing a switch to short
circuit the little motors. When a universal motor is spinning without power,
it becomes a generator. When the universal motor/generator is short
circuited it will cause the motor to almost immediately stop rotating. Table
saws use different motors and cannot easily be made to brake.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edward A. Falk" wrote:

My second-hand chop saw's electric brake has been failing of late,
and even when they work, they still take several seconds.

Several seconds? The switch is probably failing.

Probably. It was free, and I don't need a better one badly
enough to dig out my wallet.

Until you have an accident.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Edward A. Falk" wrote:

My second-hand chop saw's electric brake has been failing of late,
and even when they work, they still take several seconds.

Several seconds? The switch is probably failing.

Probably. It was free, and I don't need a better one badly
enough to dig out my wallet.

Until you have an accident.

Oh come on Lew. One simply waits for the blade to stop. A lot of cuts have
been made with saws that did not have a blade brake, with no cut off
fingers. Sometimes after a feature gets implemented, the voices cry out
that you'll die if you don't have that feature - even though history proves
differently. That's being a bit alarmist.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2013 6:23 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Edward A. Falk" wrote:

My second-hand chop saw's electric brake has been failing of late,
and even when they work, they still take several seconds.

Several seconds? The switch is probably failing.

Probably. It was free, and I don't need a better one badly
enough to dig out my wallet.

Until you have an accident.

Oh come on Lew. One simply waits for the blade to stop. A lot of cuts have
been made with saws that did not have a blade brake, with no cut off
fingers. Sometimes after a feature gets implemented, the voices cry out
that you'll die if you don't have that feature - even though history proves
differently. That's being a bit alarmist.

True enough.. My tablesaw doesn't have a blade break... does yours?
Neither does my circ saw...

it's convenient having it, but not necessary...

Just remember you'll shoot your eye out. ;-)

But I do want a saw stop...

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Josepi wrote:

Just remember... he did shoot his eye out if you watched the whole
movie.

Huh - I don't remember that part.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 14:50:20 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Josepi wrote:

Just remember... he did shoot his eye out if you watched the whole
movie.

Huh - I don't remember that part.

Broke his glasses so as he had four eyes "He shoot his eye out".

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Josepi wrote:

Just remember... he did shoot his eye out if you watched the whole
movie.

Huh - I don't remember that part.

Broke his glasses so as he had four eyes "He shoot his eye out".

Mark

Gosh, don't we get "enough of" that movie in a few weeks?