Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Today just sucked!

I really wanted a break/distraction from this 99 Dodge van that I'm painting
for a good friend. Of course, he just wanted it painted and "take care" of
that rust, so he could just get five more years out of it. Nothing big.
Hell - this thing is a monster. An albatross. A behemoth. I'm going to
need a cigarette break just to make one complete pass at painting it. and
then there's the dents. And the curled up bumper. And... and... and...
So - I really wanted a break/distraction from this project.

Well I got it and it even involved woodworking. I'm sitting in my den last
night feeling like I didn't have the energy to fall asleep and all of a
sudden I see drips from the ceiling. The master bath is right above the
den. The drips are a foot from the ceiling fan/light. It didn't take long
to see the sag starting.

Cutting to the chase - my initial fears were unfounded - it was not a water
supply line. But - it was a drain in the vanity. A vanity that I built
probably around 15 years ago. (That's the woodworking connection).
Obviously, it had been leaking for a while because the sheetrock saturated
and when it started to show drips, it was sagging in very short order. So -
today I had to do the devil's own work - plumbing. That work is just simply
evil. I will say that I don't know what in the hell I was thinking when I
first installed this vanity, but when I looked at it today I asked out loud
"who in the hell did this hermaphrodite plumbing?" As is always the case
with freakin' plumbing - nothing less than 3 trips to the hardware store.
Fortunately, I was able to stall off the work for most of the day because I
had to let the vanity dry out. Can't work in a wet vanity, after all. But
the inevitable came tonight and I had to face the devil himself, right on
his own ground. I looked him square in the eye and told him just how bad
his line of work sucked. He seemed unimpressed. So - I put in some new
stuff and swore at some old stuff, and pulled a **** load of hair out of
things that smelled bad. In the end - I was done. Only two drips now.

Oh well - tomorrow is another day. The damned van is looking pretty good
right about now...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

snip

Cutting to the chase - my initial fears were unfounded - it was not
a water supply line. But - it was a drain in the vanity. A vanity
that I built probably around 15 years ago. (That's the woodworking
connection).

snip

Oh well - tomorrow is another day. The damned van is looking pretty
good right about now...

----------------------------------
That's a hell of a warranty you extend.G

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
[...]

perspective.......it's all about perspectiveg
some days your the pigeon, other days your the statue

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

snip

Cutting to the chase - my initial fears were unfounded - it was not
a water supply line. But - it was a drain in the vanity. A vanity
that I built probably around 15 years ago. (That's the woodworking
connection).

snip

Oh well - tomorrow is another day. The damned van is looking pretty
good right about now...

----------------------------------
That's a hell of a warranty you extend.G

It's my wife Lew - she makes me warranty everything I build in this house.
Can you believe it?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

ChairMan wrote:

perspective.......it's all about perspectiveg
some days your the pigeon, other days your the statue

Yup. Or, as I've heard... some day's you're the windshield, some days
you're the bug...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

snip

Cutting to the chase - my initial fears were unfounded - it was not
a water supply line. But - it was a drain in the vanity. A vanity
that I built probably around 15 years ago. (That's the woodworking
connection).

snip

Oh well - tomorrow is another day. The damned van is looking pretty
good right about now...

----------------------------------
That's a hell of a warranty you extend.G

Lew

The customer is the type that you do anything you can just to stop the
whining. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

snip

Cutting to the chase - my initial fears were unfounded - it was not
a water supply line. But - it was a drain in the vanity. A vanity
that I built probably around 15 years ago. (That's the woodworking
connection).

snip

Oh well - tomorrow is another day. The damned van is looking pretty
good right about now...

----------------------------------
That's a hell of a warranty you extend.G

Lew

The customer is the type that you do anything you can just to stop the
whining. :-)

You are sooooooooooooo right!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:527330fa$0$33485
:

----------------------------------
That's a hell of a warranty you extend.G

Lew

Just wait until he gets his bill.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
message
[...]

It could be worse. You could have made the vanity out of particle board.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 22:47:01 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

[...]

Can't say much about the vanity, other than, I'm still internally debating
the wisdom of indoor plumbing.

I painted a horse trailer once, trying to keep a wet line while climbing
up
and down strategically placed step ladders is danged exhausting.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2013 10:47 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
[...]

Two drips is too much.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Plumbing can literally suck.
I had a similar problem. Humm. Water dripping down from the ceiling.......
Nothing shows upstairs.....shower, water heater....
Well, I finally got the nerve to address the issue.
I went outside, and opened a hole in the shower wall.
What a mess......
the pipe that the shower head fits into, wore out, slight crack, and when
the shower was used,
it leaked........I think it may be from people grabbing the head of the
shower to get a balance?
Anyway, the entire interior was a mess......
I ripped and tore, took out rotten wood, replaced studs....
Luckily the tile was done in such a way, that it was held by concrete and
not just on sheetrock or wonder board.
One tough tile job.
I put it all back together...
Yes, plumbing requires 3 trips to the store at least!
I have yet to overhaul the toilet....
Not my favorite job, but have done it.
Entire new rebuild, washers, valves, etc.
I have an ancient toilet.....
Funny thing is it works better that the "New and Improved"
low flush units.....
anyway, plumbing sucks...
john

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:47:01 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
... but when I looked at it today I asked out loud "who in the hell did this hermaphrodite plumbing?"

I don't have to wait 15 yrs. I'm known to ask, similarly, 15 minutes after some of my tasks. I suppose, either I'm in a rush or looking for the quick-fix, that results in my discovering anomolies with my work, at times.

Have heart and think positive. Consider your repair a deserving upgrade, not a needed maintenance repair. With some upgrades, your insurance value goes up, so maybe you can consider that, if applicable.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

That's a hell of a warranty you extend.G
Lew Hodgett
----------------------------------
It's my wife Lew - she makes me warranty everything I build in this house.
Can you believe it?
Mike Marlow

Warranty? giggle I like that. Gotta remember that one. giggle
`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 22:47:01 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

So
- today I had to do the devil's own work - plumbing. That work is just
simply evil.

No doubt. I've got a stopped up drain in a bathroom sink and AFAIK the
pipes haven't been touched since the house was built 57 years ago. Maybe
I can put it off till tomorrow.

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:47:01 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
... but when I looked at it today I asked out loud "who in the hell
did this hermaphrodite plumbing?"

I don't have to wait 15 yrs. I'm known to ask, similarly, 15 minutes
after some of my tasks. I suppose, either I'm in a rush or looking
for the quick-fix, that results in my discovering anomolies with my
work, at times.

Have heart and think positive. Consider your repair a deserving
upgrade, not a needed maintenance repair. With some upgrades, your
insurance value goes up, so maybe you can consider that, if
applicable.

Sonny - you're a good man - offering up positive thoughts and all that. But
for me... it's freakin' plumbing and I'm going to be nothing but glad when
it's all done!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 22:47:01 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

So
- today I had to do the devil's own work - plumbing. That work is
just simply evil.

No doubt. I've got a stopped up drain in a bathroom sink and AFAIK
the pipes haven't been touched since the house was built 57 years
ago. Maybe I can put it off till tomorrow.

One word - Hand Grenade.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Any day that has plumbing repairs on the to-do list is bound to suck. 30 years ago I was tasked with hooking up the water line to the refrigerator's ice maker. Noticed a little drip at the saddle valve, so I naively decided to turn off the water and fix the drip. Valve was stuck, so I got out my pipe wrench and promptly busted the valve. OK, I can still do this if I shut off the water on the street side of the meter. Stuck valve, pipe wrench and ... **** ... Another busted valve. Time to call the plumber who assures me that this was a good thing as I would not have been able to shut off the water in an emergency. He comes out the next day and discovers the access port on my property is minus a cover and filled with crud. Somebody had walked off,with the village's key for the access port on the street. He had to rent a backhoe to dig put my access port. $600 to hook up the ice maker..

I feel your pain, Mike.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

SNIP

Only two drips now.

Oh well - tomorrow is another day. The damned van is looking pretty good
right about now...

--

-Mike-

Why does that stuff always happen in the evening? Water line breaks, Cold
day, furnace fails. Raining, window stuck open. Don't ask how I know about
these things. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2013 7:47 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
I really wanted a break/distraction from this 99 Dodge van that I'm painting

When it comes to plumbing repair, I have the fecal touch.
erk,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/1/2013 4:23 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
[...]

When we moved into our last house, the toilet ran a little. After some
"encouragement" from the wife, on Friday we went over to Lowes and
bought a complete rebuild kit for the toilet tank.

On Saturday I First found the valve into the wall was frozen, and not
wishing to break it off I turned off the main valve to the house. From
there everything went well installed all of the new components and
reinstalled the tank. Picked up the box the parts came in I realized I
did not install the flush lever.

In any job you must realize when the job is complete. I did not, and
decided since every thing else in the toilet tank was new, the lever
should be also. Mistake, in trying to unscrew the nut on the lever the
whole corner of the tank broke off.

One trip back to buy a new toilet, one trip to back to Lowes to buy a
new line from the tank to the wall, I believe the last trip back that
day was to buy an extra long wax seal to go from the toilet through the
tile, the concrete they were set into the pipe.

Lowes offered me my personal parking spot but I refused.