Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Today just sucked!

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 22:47:01 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

I really wanted a break/distraction from this 99 Dodge van that I'm painting
for a good friend. Of course, he just wanted it painted and "take care" of
that rust, so he could just get five more years out of it. Nothing big.
Hell - this thing is a monster. An albatross. A behemoth. I'm going to
need a cigarette break just to make one complete pass at painting it. and
then there's the dents. And the curled up bumper. And... and... and...
So - I really wanted a break/distraction from this project.

Well I got it and it even involved woodworking. I'm sitting in my den last
night feeling like I didn't have the energy to fall asleep and all of a
sudden I see drips from the ceiling. The master bath is right above the
den. The drips are a foot from the ceiling fan/light. It didn't take long
to see the sag starting.

Cutting to the chase - my initial fears were unfounded - it was not a water
supply line. But - it was a drain in the vanity. A vanity that I built
probably around 15 years ago. (That's the woodworking connection).
Obviously, it had been leaking for a while because the sheetrock saturated
and when it started to show drips, it was sagging in very short order. So -
today I had to do the devil's own work - plumbing. That work is just simply
evil. I will say that I don't know what in the hell I was thinking when I
first installed this vanity, but when I looked at it today I asked out loud
"who in the hell did this hermaphrodite plumbing?" As is always the case
with freakin' plumbing - nothing less than 3 trips to the hardware store.
Fortunately, I was able to stall off the work for most of the day because I
had to let the vanity dry out. Can't work in a wet vanity, after all. But
the inevitable came tonight and I had to face the devil himself, right on
his own ground. I looked him square in the eye and told him just how bad
his line of work sucked. He seemed unimpressed. So - I put in some new
stuff and swore at some old stuff, and pulled a **** load of hair out of
things that smelled bad. In the end - I was done. Only two drips now.

Oh well - tomorrow is another day. The damned van is looking pretty good
right about now...

Can't say much about the vanity, other than, I'm still internally debating
the wisdom of indoor plumbing.

I painted a horse trailer once, trying to keep a wet line while climbing
up
and down strategically placed step ladders is danged exhausting.

basilisk