Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spacing on stairway gate

I have a stairway leading to my basement. I am going to put up a gate
across the stairs. There is an existing guard around the rest of the
stairway. As I see it the code for this guard is asking for a maximum
spacing of 4 inches. The existing guard meets this specification. In
looking at code for gates it appears that the minimum spacing is 2 3/8
inches. Why closer spacing for gates as opposed to guards? Anyone
ever see a baby with a 2 3/8 inch head?

The purpose of the gate is to keep adults from falling down the
stairs, no babies involved.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ray wrote:

I have a stairway leading to my basement. I am going to put up a gate
across the stairs. There is an existing guard around the rest of the
stairway. As I see it the code for this guard is asking for a maximum
spacing of 4 inches. The existing guard meets this specification. In
looking at code for gates it appears that the minimum spacing is 2 3/8
inches. Why closer spacing for gates as opposed to guards? Anyone
ever see a baby with a 2 3/8 inch head?

The purpose of the gate is to keep adults from falling down the
stairs, no babies involved.

Well, it is just a gate. It's not like you're going to get this inspected
for a CO. Nothing stopping you from just spacing it like the rest of the
railing - or whatever works out properly for the span. One note on your
commentary above - you reference a maximum spacing of 4" in one case, and a
minimum space in the case of the gate. Did you notice that difference when
you looked at the code, or was this a mis-type on your part?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 14:52:13 -0600, Ray wrote:

I have a stairway leading to my basement. I am going to put up a gate
across the stairs. There is an existing guard around the rest of the
stairway. As I see it the code for this guard is asking for a maximum
spacing of 4 inches. The existing guard meets this specification. In
looking at code for gates it appears that the minimum spacing is 2 3/8
inches. Why closer spacing for gates as opposed to guards? Anyone
ever see a baby with a 2 3/8 inch head?

The purpose of the gate is to keep adults from falling down the
stairs, no babies involved.

Maybe the max is for baby heads ..
and the min is for little hands & feet .. ?
Just guessing.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:59:55 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
- you reference a maximum spacing of 4" in one case, and a minimum space in the case of the gate.

I'm not familiar with basements. I assume the pathway is from the exterior of the home. The minimum for the gate, which is more accesible to the steps, down, may be for the prevention of critters to get through, down. Maybe the logic is: critters are less apt to enter the pathway through the guard rails, but more so through the step area, the gate. I wouldn't think this proposed logic applies to raccoons, though.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

- you reference a maximum spacing of 4" in one case, and a minimum space in the case of the gate.

I'm not familiar with basements. I assume the pathway is from the exterior of the home.
The minimum for the gate, which is more accesible to the steps, down, may be for the
prevention of critters to get through, down.
Maybe the logic is: critters are less apt to enter the pathway through the guard rails,
but more so through the step area, the gate.
I wouldn't think this proposed logic applies to raccoons, though.
Sonny

I'm not aware of any regulations for critter gates .. yet !
... one mans critter - is another mans pet ..
.... and another mans supper.
.... quite the dogs breakfast !
John T. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

I'm not familiar with basements. I assume the pathway is from the
exterior of the home.

That would not be correct, at least in my part of the country.

What you will find is the variation from place to place whether you
even have a basement,

For example, Cleveland has basements, Detroit does not.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just for clarification the basement is a finished basement with access
from inside the home. I am not going to have it inspected and
approved. I am just wondering about the different codes for a
stairwell guard and a stairway gate. The guard should be 42" high
with openings less than 4" whereas the gate need be only 24" high but
requires openings less than 2.375". The guard seems to be more
reasonable and is what I am using for the gate design.

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 14:52:13 -0600, Ray wrote:

I have a stairway leading to my basement. I am going to put up a gate
across the stairs. There is an existing guard around the rest of the
stairway. As I see it the code for this guard is asking for a maximum
spacing of 4 inches. The existing guard meets this specification. In
looking at code for gates it appears that the minimum spacing is 2 3/8
inches. Why closer spacing for gates as opposed to guards? Anyone
ever see a baby with a 2 3/8 inch head?

The purpose of the gate is to keep adults from falling down the
stairs, no babies involved.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Sonny wrote:

I'm not familiar with basements. I assume the pathway is from the
exterior of the home.

That would not be correct, at least in my part of the country.

What you will find is the variation from place to place whether you
even have a basement,

For example, Cleveland has basements, Detroit does not.

Lew

OP said "I have a stairway leading to my basement", so we know that he
is not in Detroit or another place where there are no basements.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:58:16 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Sonny wrote:

I'm not familiar with basements. I assume the pathway is from the
exterior of the home.

That would not be correct, at least in my part of the country.

What you will find is the variation from place to place whether you
even have a basement,

For example, Cleveland has basements, Detroit does not.

Lew

OP said "I have a stairway leading to my basement", so we know that he
is not in Detroit or another place where there are no basements.

Huh? I find that odd, since MI is *well* into the freeze zone.

A realtor.com search shows 789 single-family properties with basements
in the 200-400K range within 10mi of Novi (to pick a random 'burb).
Example:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4-85314?row=24

Perhaps Cleveland is *in* the basement, where Detroit just got sent to
Disney World, but...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hate to confuse this any more - but -
- Ray - you have just altered your original post ..
.. 2 3/8 was minimum - now ir's maximum .. ?
John T.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Sonny wrote:

I'm not familiar with basements. I assume the pathway is from the
exterior of the home.

That would not be correct, at least in my part of the country.

What you will find is the variation from place to place whether you
even have a basement,

For example, Cleveland has basements, Detroit does not.

Lew

OP said "I have a stairway leading to my basement", so we know that he
is not in Detroit or another place where there are no basements.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are few basements along the Detroit
River. But miles away from there, one is miles away from there.

Yes, you can quote me on that! lol.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, October 21, 2013 10:57:00 AM UTC-4, Ray wrote:
[...]

Forget the spacing. Use hardwood plywood, hinge one side and latch the other. I would make it 42" or less high. 24" seems way too low for adults.

RP