Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.com is offline

Default Spacing on stairway gate

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 14:52:13 -0600, Ray wrote:

I have a stairway leading to my basement. I am going to put up a gate
across the stairs. There is an existing guard around the rest of the
stairway. As I see it the code for this guard is asking for a maximum
spacing of 4 inches. The existing guard meets this specification. In
looking at code for gates it appears that the minimum spacing is 2 3/8
inches. Why closer spacing for gates as opposed to guards? Anyone
ever see a baby with a 2 3/8 inch head?

The purpose of the gate is to keep adults from falling down the
stairs, no babies involved.

Maybe the max is for baby heads ..
and the min is for little hands & feet .. ?
Just guessing.
John T.