Posted to rec.woodworking
RP[_3_] RP[_3_] is offline

Default Spacing on stairway gate

On Monday, October 21, 2013 10:57:00 AM UTC-4, Ray wrote:
Just for clarification the basement is a finished basement with access

from inside the home. I am not going to have it inspected and

approved. I am just wondering about the different codes for a

stairwell guard and a stairway gate. The guard should be 42" high

with openings less than 4" whereas the gate need be only 24" high but

requires openings less than 2.375". The guard seems to be more

reasonable and is what I am using for the gate design.

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 14:52:13 -0600, Ray wrote:

I have a stairway leading to my basement. I am going to put up a gate

across the stairs. There is an existing guard around the rest of the

stairway. As I see it the code for this guard is asking for a maximum

spacing of 4 inches. The existing guard meets this specification. In

looking at code for gates it appears that the minimum spacing is 2 3/8

inches. Why closer spacing for gates as opposed to guards? Anyone

ever see a baby with a 2 3/8 inch head?

The purpose of the gate is to keep adults from falling down the

stairs, no babies involved.

Forget the spacing. Use hardwood plywood, hinge one side and latch the other. I would make it 42" or less high. 24" seems way too low for adults.

RP