Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hand plane rust

I read on a message board where someone suggested using a combination lacquer/paint thinner on hand planes to keep away the rust. Has any one used or tried this? Any thoughts about this approach?

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2013 3:25 PM, Michael wrote:
I read on a message board where someone suggested using a combination lacquer/paint thinner on hand planes to keep away the rust. Has any one used or tried this? Any thoughts about this approach?

Mike

I keep mine in draws with kitty litter. The kitty litter soaks up the
moisture hopefully keeping my planes clean... wax also helps.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 17:32:37 -0400, woodchucker
I keep mine in draws with kitty litter. The kitty litter soaks up the
moisture hopefully keeping my planes clean... wax also helps.

This was advertised recently on Lee Valley Tools. It reduces friction
and contains corrosion inhibitors.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...54&cat=1,43456

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, October 12, 2013 4:49:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 17:32:37 -0400, woodchucker

I keep mine in draws with kitty litter. The kitty litter soaks up the

moisture hopefully keeping my planes clean... wax also helps.

This was advertised recently on Lee Valley Tools. It reduces friction

and contains corrosion inhibitors.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...54&cat=1,43456

This looks good. Not a bad price either.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2013 2:25 PM, Michael wrote:
I read on a message board where someone suggested using a combination lacquer/paint thinner on hand planes to keep away the rust. Has any one used or tried this? Any thoughts about this approach?

Mike

I would say that would have absolutely zero effect, and might even accelerate
the onslaught of rust because those are solvents that would probably remove any
other kind of protective film that would actually serve the intended purpose.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote in message

I read on a message board where someone suggested using a
combination lacquer/paint thinner on hand planes to keep
away the rust. Has any one used or tried this? Any
thoughts about this approach?

AFAIK, lacquer thinner and paint thinner don't mix together. Might, never
tried it, but even if they did how could they prevent rust? Both evaporate
leaving no residue.

Now, kerosene, maybe...it leaves a slightly oily residue behind. In some
places they mop terrazo floors with water that has a bit of kerosene in it.
The residue from the kerosene gives it a shine.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
On 10/12/2013 2:25 PM, Michael wrote:
I read on a message board where someone suggested using a
combination lacquer/paint thinner on hand planes to keep away the
rust. Has any one used or tried this? Any thoughts about this
approach? Mike

I would say that would have absolutely zero effect, and might even
accelerate the onslaught of rust because those are solvents that
would probably remove any other kind of protective film that would
actually serve the intended purpose.

I agree. There is absolutely no protective qualities about lacquer or paint
thinner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 18:24:46 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 17:49:03 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 17:32:37 -0400, woodchucker
I keep mine in draws with kitty litter. The kitty litter soaks up the
moisture hopefully keeping my planes clean... wax also helps.

This was advertised recently on Lee Valley Tools. It reduces friction
and contains corrosion inhibitors.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...54&cat=1,43456

What about TopKote or Boesheild?

Fine Woodworking #227 had a test of 20 different rust preventative
products. Including Topkote and Boeshield. They didn't test ProtecTool
Wax; they did test Renaissance Wax which may be similar in that they
both use microcrystalline wax.

The products were tested on A2 steel and cast iron. In either case the
product was applied and then the metal was sprayed with water and left
outside 10 days.

The best overall product was CRC Industrial 3-36, which at $6 per
spray can (Amazon) seems inexpensive. It had perfect results on both
types of metal. Moovit did well on the tool steel but not the cast
iron (available from Lee Valley) and so was FW's choice for hand tools
if you don't like the smell and feel of the CRC.

Boeshield did pretty well but not perfect on the tool steel, not so
well on the cast iron. Topcote did less well on the tool steel and a
bit better on the cast iron.

Renaissance Wax didn't do very well on either. No wax or oil tested as
well as several of the sprays.

===

Another type of product goes in a drawer with your tool, like the
kitty litter but a little more rust specific by releasing volatile
corrosion inhibitors into the air that attach to metal. Zerust has a
line of products for this purpose (available on Amazon).

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I've been using Boeshield on my table saw and drill press. It's
certainly not perfect and I don't like the surface much. Friction is
an issue on the saw (not so much the DP). I've been told to try
TopKote, which I might, but I'll have to remember to order it from
somewhere. Also, stripping off the Boeshield may get interesting.

Renaissance Wax didn't do very well on either. No wax or oil tested as
well as several of the sprays.

===

Another type of product goes in a drawer with your tool, like the
kitty litter but a little more rust specific by releasing volatile
corrosion inhibitors into the air that attach to metal. Zerust has a
line of products for this purpose (available on Amazon).

I have little problem with hand tools. Few are cast iron.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Great information. Thanks, Jim. One reviewer left the following comment. I wonder if the petroleum film will get on the wood?

---------------------
Based on Fine Woodworking product testing I purchased this product. My tools are in a dehumidified, insulated garage. The product is petroleum based which I didn't realize (my fault) when ordering. I've tried this on the bed of a Powermatic 12" jointer. The product definitely leaves a petroleum film which is a pain to remove before using the tool. Also, the rust never stops. I can find no difference from many of the traditional ant-rust products that are non-petroleum based. A regular application of topcoat after each use seems to provide the same protection and much less hassle.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...snip...]
I've been using Boeshield on my table saw and drill press. It's
certainly not perfect and I don't like the surface much. Friction is
an issue on the saw (not so much the DP). I've been told to try
TopKote, which I might, but I'll have to remember to order it from
somewhere. Also, stripping off the Boeshield may get interesting.
[...snip...]

I've used Boeshield, and I had the same problem. What I did was to
buff it out and then apply wax over it. That has worked well for me.

But I don't live near the coast.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...snip...]
---------------------
Based on Fine Woodworking product testing I purchased this product.
My tools are in a dehumidified, insulated garage.
The product is petroleum based which I didn't realize (my fault)
when ordering. I've tried this on the bed of a Powermatic
12" jointer. The product definitely leaves a petroleum film
which is a pain to remove before using the tool. Also, the
rust never stops. I can find no difference from many of the
traditional ant-rust products that are non-petroleum based.
A regular application of topcoat after each use seems to
provide the same protection and much less hassle.

Hmm. I recall the FW article mentioned the film but said it doesn't
interfere with a finish.

I'm not too clear on why this product worked so well in testing for FW
but not well in a garage shop. Or why there would be much rust at all
in a dehumidified insulated garage.

I have an unheated garage with no dehumidification in Oregon's
Willamette Valley (famous for it's rain) and I don't have much rust
problems. I've been using Boeshield and will keep using it until my
can is used up, and it didn't fare that well in the FW testing. The FW
testing was a pretty brutal accelerated exposure to water, not a real
world test.

I'm not certain that you can do a real world rust protection test of
20 products in a reasonable amount of time.

Angle of Sharpening Plane on hand plane jloomis[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 6 February 26th 12 07:55 PM
Cleaning rust off Stanley #15 plane [email protected] Woodworking 26 August 5th 11 04:41 PM
How to set up a hand plane Neillarson Woodworking 19 March 20th 07 06:28 PM
hand plane: sal Woodworking 4 January 28th 07 03:42 AM
How to keep rust off hand planes? Guy LaRochelle Woodworking 8 July 21st 04 05:20 PM