Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Weisgram[_2_] Jim Weisgram[_2_] is offline

Default Hand plane rust

[...snip...]
---------------------
Based on Fine Woodworking product testing I purchased this product.
My tools are in a dehumidified, insulated garage.
The product is petroleum based which I didn't realize (my fault)
when ordering. I've tried this on the bed of a Powermatic
12" jointer. The product definitely leaves a petroleum film
which is a pain to remove before using the tool. Also, the
rust never stops. I can find no difference from many of the
traditional ant-rust products that are non-petroleum based.
A regular application of topcoat after each use seems to
provide the same protection and much less hassle.

Hmm. I recall the FW article mentioned the film but said it doesn't
interfere with a finish.

I'm not too clear on why this product worked so well in testing for FW
but not well in a garage shop. Or why there would be much rust at all
in a dehumidified insulated garage.

I have an unheated garage with no dehumidification in Oregon's
Willamette Valley (famous for it's rain) and I don't have much rust
problems. I've been using Boeshield and will keep using it until my
can is used up, and it didn't fare that well in the FW testing. The FW
testing was a pretty brutal accelerated exposure to water, not a real
world test.

I'm not certain that you can do a real world rust protection test of
20 products in a reasonable amount of time.