Posted to rec.woodworking
sal sal is offline

Default hand plane:

Hello Woodies:

I have found an old plane with these markings on it. Bailly no 5 Stanly ,it
is close to 12" in length. I have just really gotten into
wood work and wonder if it would be useful on some projects. It is priced
at $22.00 Can. Would anyone care to comment?

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

If it's in good shape, buy it. IMHO, A block plane and a #5 are the most
useful planes to have. Clean it up, tune it and you will have a good plane
there.
"sal" wrote in message
Hello Woodies:

I have found an old plane with these markings on it. Bailly no 5 Stanly

,it
is close to 12" in length. I have just really gotten into
wood work and wonder if it would be useful on some projects. It is priced
at $22.00 Can. Would anyone care to comment?

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

sal wrote:
Hello Woodies:

I have found an old plane with these markings on it. Bailly no 5 Stanly ,it
is close to 12" in length. I have just really gotten into
wood work and wonder if it would be useful on some projects. It is priced
at $22.00 Can. Would anyone care to comment?

Sal

Hi,
Sal I've collected Stanley planes for years. If the "tote" or handle
is usable and not too broken up and the front knob is OK and the blade
isn't sharpened down to the point of not having enough left, the price
is in the ball park. There are lots of sites on "tuning up" a plane
if you Google the subject. Of course no broken metal parts permitted.
MinnJim

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , sal wrote:
Hello Woodies:

I have found an old plane with these markings on it. Bailly no 5 Stanly ,it
is close to 12" in length. I have just really gotten into
wood work and wonder if it would be useful on some projects. It is priced
at $22.00 Can. Would anyone care to comment?

Sal

Take another look and see if it is actually marked 5 1/4. Is the
blade 2" wide, or 1 3/4? A #5 is a common jack plane and they are
about 14" long. Stanley made a 5 1/4, or "junior jack" that was
somewhat shorter in length and used the narror blade ( 1 3/4 vs 2" )
If it is in decent condition $22 is a good price; If it is the
5 1/4 model it is worth a little more due to scarcity but the
regular #5 is probably more useful as a "user" Personally, I don't
know that I'd buy a 4th jack plane, but I'd probably spring for the
junior jack if I had the opportunity for $22.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
Posted to rec.woodworking

"sal" wrote in message
Hello Woodies:

I have found an old plane with these markings on it. Bailly no 5 Stanly
,it is close to 12" in length. I have just really gotten into
wood work and wonder if it would be useful on some projects. It is priced
at $22.00 Can. Would anyone care to comment?

Sal

A lot depends on the shape it's in, what year it is, etc.... Go here for
more information than you will probably
ever need:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm

What is the use of this wooden hand plane? [email protected] Woodworking 5 May 25th 06 01:53 PM
EUROPEAN HAND PLANE J T Woodworking 0 March 1st 06 06:52 PM
Hand Plane Technique? PeteD Woodworking 10 July 1st 05 07:03 PM
Should I try it with a hand plane? Billy Smith Woodworking 37 November 25th 04 01:03 AM
HANDMADE HAND PLANE J T Woodworking 21 October 1st 04 07:49 PM